Trying out the NDSP Quad Cortex

I really want Granophyre. More than any other.

That's a good sounding plugin indeed. I know a guy who bought on launch (and sold a year later... 😥) a Quad Cortex exclusively to play Omega Granophyre live.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind a Ring Mod. I like to put one on a side chain and turn it down really low under the main tone on cleans to make them chime.
To anyone who owns the plug ins can you tell me what the difference between Transpose
And the pitch shifting on QC is , I see many saying transpose is the 💩 but I am confused as to what it is or does better ?

To anyone who owns the plug ins can you tell me what the difference between Transpose
And the pitch shifting on QC is , I see many saying transpose is the 💩 but I am confused as to what it is or does better ?

They're functionally the same but transpose does seem to sound better.

They're functionally the same but transpose does seem to sound better.
I wonder is transpose is polyphonic where as the QC is not ?
It like the mini voicier not sure what that does either is that like a micro pitch ?

I wonder is transpose is polyphonic where as the QC is not ?
It like the mini voicier not sure what that does either is that like a micro pitch ?
This discussion keeps going in the NDSP Discord. There's a lot of confusion around the terms. Monophonic is literally "shift exactly one note at a time." Polyphonic is "shift several notes at a time."

Monophonic shifting glitches when you play more than one note because it's attempting to recognize the one single note that's supposed to be played and shift that. Polyphonic is still polyphonic even if it does a poor job like the QC pitch shifter. It can do very simple chords but it loses it's shit when presented with a minor chord, for example.

The question they should be asking is whether the upcoming plugin transpose is a better polyphonic shifter than the OG QC pitch shitter.

Edit: that last word is a typo, but I'm not fixing it because it might as well not be a typo.

Last edited:
This discussion keeps going in the NDSP Discord. There's a lot of confusion around the terms. Monophonic is literally "shift exactly one note at a time." Polyphonic is "shift several notes at a time."

Monophonic shifting glitches when you play more than one note because it's attempting to recognize the one single note that's supposed to be played and shift that. Polyphonic is still polyphonic even if it does a poor job like the QC pitch shifter. It can do very simple chords but it loses it's shit when presented with a minor chord, for example.

The question they should be asking is whether the upcoming plugin transpose is a better polyphonic shifter than the OG QC pitch shitter.

Edit: that last word is a typo, but I'm not fixing it because it might as well not be a typo.

Is it actually polyphonic? When I tried it, it sounded monophonic to me.

Is it actually polyphonic? When I tried it, it sounded monophonic to me.
It can shift more than one note at a time. Hence, it's polyphonic. It's not good and it can only handle very simple chords but it's not monophonic. Monophonic=play any more than one note -> glitching, jumping between shifted notes because the note it's detecting changes.

An example of monophonic shifting would be any real time diatonic harmonizer, e.g. the minivoicer in the QC.

A couple days ago I was with my buddy, trying a borrowed QC. He was testing the pitch shifter (I don´t know which of them) and We both were impressed of how good it tracked and worked. He played Moonlight Shadow, complete, chords and solo, one tone down. No noticeable artifacts. Last saturday he used that QC, with that pitch shifting in three songs, in a large auditorium in Madrid.

I don´t know... I find the QC quite good at it. Didn´t try many others, though.

Asking if he would play a full show with the Quad and the completely baffled no had me lol

But to be fair it sounds like he wouldn't do any digital rig for a full show but it was just interesting to hear how he liked the QC and enough to perform with at a small level but a resounding No for anything larger.

Also of course credit to Steve Sterlacci for the video

Asking if he would play a full show with the Quad and the completely baffled no had me lol

But to be fair it sounds like he wouldn't do any digital rig for a full show but it was just interesting to hear how he liked the QC and enough to perform with at a small level but a resounding No for anything larger.

Also of course credit to Steve Sterlacci for the video

Yeah, I can understand that. My buddy loves it as a life saver for certain fly gigs where it's very difficult to carry his amp. But he much prefer his Mark II and analog pedalboard. He's never going to buy the QC... But he's so glad he can borrow one from a friend when he needs it... :rofl

Yeah, I can understand that. My buddy loves it as a life saver for certain fly gigs where it's very difficult to carry his amp. But he much prefer his Mark II and analog pedalboard. He's never going to buy the QC... But he's so glad he can borrow one from a friend when he needs it... :rofl
Right, and again I'm not trying to make this a knock on the QC, in fact I think it's a plus to see this publicity.

I just was taken by surprise at the straight up "No" right after talking highly of the QC lol but again I think it's just a tubez vs digital thing.

SS is the f’ing man. And that’s a completely legit answer. If he is out doing the damn thing to a big audience with his crew why would he not want to break out the amps and cabs etc. For something like a clinic it’s just overkill.

Since now I am actually pondering this if they release a smaller quad mini or dual
Questions @Jarick and @Whizzinby if you only have one path which is 2 rows 16 blocks max , what kind of presets could you do ?
Would 2 amps , drive , wah
Delay , verb , flange, etc work on the one path ?
Without the global eq 😂

Also how bad is the gap switching presets ?

Since now I am actually pondering this if they release a smaller quad mini or dual
Questions @Jarick and @Whizzinby if you only have one path which is 2 rows 16 blocks max , what kind of presets could you do ?
Without the global eq 😂

Tagging other QC users. Whizz doesn't have one anymore (not that he can't answer this of course)

@SeeD @mbenigni
@Jynx

Without the global eq 😂

I no longer have one, but I basically used it as a Dual Cortex. I remember having 2 amps, a drive, reverb, a delay or two and maybe even modulation on one row. Some amps take up a LOT of DSP. Preset changes are S L O W. It can take a few seconds depending on the preset.

I no longer have one, but I basically used it as a Dual Cortex. I remember having 2 amps, a drive, reverb, a delay or two and maybe even modulation on one row. Some amps take up a LOT of DSP. Preset changes are S L O W. It can take a few seconds depending on the preset.
When you say row are you talking the path split or just one row
2 amps , wah, drive , delay , verb would be fine honestly
I know this is kind of a hard question to answer as it’s all just speculation since we don’t know what CPU they will use , hell if they used that new Sharc chip FAS mentioned was about as powerful as a Helix floor then that could greatly enhance what they could do with a single path

Back