Trying out the NDSP Quad Cortex

Yeah, with the Cortex Control app, you have the internet from your PC/MAC so this way I dont use the wifi anymore ( even thou it worked good on my unit )
As soon as you plug USB, XLR , anything like that can ground the unit, then the ground noise is gone. I think its like the unit was designed
The Cortex control app although maybe not needed for many , actually looks very cool and well laid out

When you say row are you talking the path split or just one row
2 amps , wah, drive , delay , verb would be fine honestly
I know this is kind of a hard question to answer as it’s all just speculation since we don’t know what CPU they will use , hell if they used that new Sharc chip FAS mentioned was about as powerful as a Helix floor then that could greatly enhance what they could do with a single path
I just mean paths 1/2 so using one processor. I sometimes made separate clean and distortion rigs on different processors. Basically never routed the signal between processors in order to avoid the large increase in latency.

I'd put money on @GTR37 predictions. He's called a few in the past.

Consult Betty Boop GIF by Fleischer Studios

Since now I am actually pondering this if they release a smaller quad mini or dual
Questions @Jarick and @Whizzinby if you only have one path which is 2 rows 16 blocks max , what kind of presets could you do ?
Would 2 amps , drive , wah
Delay , verb , flange, etc work on the one path ?
Without the global eq 😂

Also how bad is the gap switching presets ?
You could easily run two amps or more. There may be exceptions - amps that are super CPU hungry - but with most amps, 3 or 4 wouldn't break a sweat. Amp captures can be piled on, as many as 8 or so in one lane. In "realistically necessary" terms, 2 amps and a half dozen pedals on one path with a little parallelism? Totally doable.

I basically use mine as a "Dual Cortex" as well, in the sense that the top path handles all of my guitar processing (and my guitar synth routing as well.) The bottom path usually gets called on for vocal processing, a bass guitar path, or whatever else is needed.

The global EQ thing was really overblown on forums. I think there may have been a bug as to when the low CPU warning was displayed. It's not exactly "efficient", but it's not the show-stopper it was made out to be.

There is a gap on preset switching; I assume it will vary depending on what's being loaded in the target preset. I certainly wouldn't be changing presets with a chord ringing out :D but it's fine if it's used in tandem with Scene changes. If a sinigle preset can't get you all the way through a song, your band might be too progressive. ;)

Last edited:
You could easily run two amps or more. There may be exceptions - amps that are super CPU hungry - but with most amps, 3 or 4 wouldn't break a sweat. Amp captures can be piled on, as many as 8 or so in one lane. In "realistically necessary" terms, 2 amps and a half dozen pedals on one path with a little parallelism? Totally doable.

I basically use mine as a "Dual Cortex" as well, in the sense that the top path handles all of my guitar processing (and my guitar synth routing as well.) The bottom path usually gets called on for vocal processing, a bass guitar path, or whatever else is needed.

The global EQ thing was really overblown on forums. I think there may have been a bug as to when the low CPU warning was displayed. It's not exactly "efficient", but it's not the show-stopper it was made out to be.

There is a gap on preset switching; I assume it will vary depending on what's being loaded in the target preset. I certainly wouldn't be changing presets with a chord ringing out :D but it's fine if it's used in tandem with Scene changes. If a sinigle preset can't get you all the way through a song, your band might be too progressive. ;)
I never tried to use the global eq, but I can't remember a preset that didn't show the "global eq disabled" symbol. 🤣

I really want Granophyre. More than any other. I feel like I can get similar tones to the other plugins because many of the amps that are in those plugins in modded form are there in their original form in the QC (5150, Kraken, Morgan).

The Tone King I want too but it's not super high up to me because I really like the Matchless Chieften for similar vibes.

Edit: Forgot about the Fortin Cali. It's a great plugin that does clean all the way to the heaviest heavy.

My guess is that when Granophyre and Cali are out they'll be pretty much all I use.

So just to hammer home what I said above about being able to get similar tones to the plugins because the many of the amps modelled in those plugins are already there this video popped up.

It was something I said in the other place too that as more amps got added I was caring less and less that it didn't look like plugins were even coming and that even if they did I'd, of course, load up the ones I already purchased before I bought the QC but I doubted I'd buy any more. I know more cynical types probably thought I was just huffing copium but at least since 1.4.0 I felt it covered all the bases.

So just to hammer home what I said above about being able to get similar tones to the plugins because the many of the amps modelled in those plugins are already there this video popped up.

It was something I said in the other place too that as more amps got added I was caring less and less that it didn't look like plugins were even coming and that even if they did I'd, of course, load up the ones I already purchased before I bought the QC but I doubted I'd buy any more. I know more cynical types probably thought I was just huffing copium but at least since 1.4.0 I felt it covered all the bases.

Thing is, we have yet to see how neural plans on rolling out updates for QC in parallel with plugins.

There is a world where the only way you get a usable spring reverb is by buying the Morgan suite, for example. So yes, core tones are absolutely covered, but add in sparse effects that seem to be only available in plugin form and imo just the principle that they marketed very strongly about plugin integration, it needs to be done.

Is it a waste of resources at this point? Probably. I think there are areas of improvement outside of plug in integration but they did this to themselves

I never tried to use the global eq, but I can't remember a preset that didn't show the "global eq disabled" symbol. 🤣
My best guess is that it was a short-lived bug. I've only seen that icon once. It vanished just as mysteriously, and I never thought about it again. Full disclosure: I don't generally use the global EQ, either.

My best guess is that it was a short-lived bug. I've only seen that icon once. It vanished just as mysteriously, and I never thought about it again. Full disclosure: I don't generally use the global EQ.
Neither do I, but it I remember the icon being on the screen in pretty much any preset right up until I sold it a couple of months ago.

Thing is, we have yet to see how neural plans on rolling out updates for QC in parallel with plugins.

There is a world where the only way you get a usable spring reverb is by buying the Morgan suite, for example. So yes, core tones are absolutely covered, but add in sparse effects that seem to be only available in plugin form and imo just the principle that they marketed very strongly about plugin integration, it needs to be done.

Is it a waste of resources at this point? Probably. I think there are areas of improvement outside of plug in integration but they did this to themselves
They honestly should just port and replace the spring if it’s that bad , they are obviously not against doing that because they replaced the original SLO , the original Flanger and it looks like transpose coming in the next update might be a better pitch shifter

Regarding amp models already in QC from the plug ins I agree 100% there maybe be some gaps but

Gojira is EVH red 5153 34
Plini HiGain is HBE
Nolly crunch is the 2203 clean Shiva
Rabea has got to be the Kraken

With capture functionality I never missed not having that many amp models when I had the QC on release.

The real concern is effects because you can't add those. IMO there were several subpar ones at release. At least the Klon you could replace with a capture instead.

But it's not like the plugins are necessarily fantastic for effects. The Petrucci plugin's shimmer reverb used in one of the reverb sounds is crap compared to what I get from Fractal or my Strymon Nightsky.

I'd put money on @GTR37 predictions. He's called a few in the past.

Consult Betty Boop GIF by Fleischer Studios
Aww thanks man
But this one is not to hard to predict
Doug likes money 💴 and there is a hole in the market between the stomp and FM3
He has also proven to be very observant to wish lists of competition, people have been asking for a smaller Helix or FM with more power for years

That’s really cool thanks for doing that
So it looks like around 10 blocks of the 16 on 1 path you can use if you choose 2 amps give or take if your effect are less like eq or gate
That’s a good starting point

From what I can tell the CPU on a single path is close to both paths on the Helix, or two HX Stomps. Maybe not quite as high, but pretty close. It's definitely enough IMO to run a full rig worth of gear. I don't like the big spaceship pedalboards that require MIDI controllers to be able to switch 50 pedals on and off, so having two amps and half a dozen effects is pretty good to me.

My biggest question on a smaller QC is how it would be used. If there were only 3-4 switches, then you'd run into the issue like the HX Stomp or FM3 where there's not enough control, and then you're adding a MIDI controller or something. If you shrank it to the size of an HX Stomp, you may be giving up the awesome touchscreen which is a big draw. Also an HX Stomp can function as a replacement for several effects pedals, but the QC doesn't have the variety of effects like Line 6, so it wouldn't make as much sense from that standpoint. Or if you have to nerf the functionality like Kemper did with the Player, it's less compelling.

I dunno, maybe they can release a unit with half the size and power and do integration with an iPad for responsive touch controls and you don't feel like you give anything up?

Something interesting, and a good thing, is that I haven’t seen anywhere the amount of failed unit posts in the last couple months. A couple blue lights of death and the start up noise issue, maybe 3-4 total. HUGE difference from the entirety of last year.

I’m very curious what changed, or if they just had to burn through all the units with shitty parts to hit even ground. I couldn’t imagine the software would cause failures like that, but that’s the only difference.

I bought mine used and it was a concern, but I did buy it from an extremely reputable member of another forum that had been around for years and I had met in person previously as he's local. Part of why I got a good deal on it I suppose, no worries about shipping or paying Reverb fees when you're in person.

Anyways, I'm not too worried about the quality for home use, but for live I would be a little nervous. It's not as robust feeling as something like a Fractal or Helix device. That's not to say it's flimsy, but the design is much more sleek like a Macbook, and less something I want to step on with boots.

If I were going to be using this thing live, I'd definitely be mounting it on a pedalboard, adding one of those plexiglass shields and pedal toppers, and wiring it up with a Cioks power supply. Like Plini's setup plus some additional protection:

From what I can tell the CPU on a single path is close to both paths on the Helix, or two HX Stomps. Maybe not quite as high, but pretty close. It's definitely enough IMO to run a full rig worth of gear. I don't like the big spaceship pedalboards that require MIDI controllers to be able to switch 50 pedals on and off, so having two amps and half a dozen effects is pretty good to me.

My biggest question on a smaller QC is how it would be used. If there were only 3-4 switches, then you'd run into the issue like the HX Stomp or FM3 where there's not enough control, and then you're adding a MIDI controller or something. If you shrank it to the size of an HX Stomp, you may be giving up the awesome touchscreen which is a big draw. Also an HX Stomp can function as a replacement for several effects pedals, but the QC doesn't have the variety of effects like Line 6, so it wouldn't make as much sense from that standpoint. Or if you have to nerf the functionality like Kemper did with the Player, it's less compelling.

I dunno, maybe they can release a unit with half the size and power and do integration with an iPad for responsive touch controls and you don't feel like you give anything up?

I bought mine used and it was a concern, but I did buy it from an extremely reputable member of another forum that had been around for years and I had met in person previously as he's local. Part of why I got a good deal on it I suppose, no worries about shipping or paying Reverb fees when you're in person.

Anyways, I'm not too worried about the quality for home use, but for live I would be a little nervous. It's not as robust feeling as something like a Fractal or Helix device. That's not to say it's flimsy, but the design is much more sleek like a Macbook, and less something I want to step on with boots.

If I were going to be using this thing live, I'd definitely be mounting it on a pedalboard, adding one of those plexiglass shields and pedal toppers, and wiring it up with a Cioks power supply. Like Plini's setup plus some additional protection:

We will have to see what they do , I think Whiz example where they have 3 buttons / encoders , and then a bank up , bank down hold both for mode like the QC seems the most likely , they might shrink the screen slightly if it is one path so instead of a 7” screen use a 5 or 6 like Hotone , we will have to see
If it has the same power as a helix and the same functionality and GUI at a price point of 1000-1100
It will go over well I think

The Hotone Ampero II Stomp is not much larger than the HX Stomp, in fact it's almost exactly the size of half a QC if you rotate the pedal sideways. Still has a decent size touchscreen. Dual Cortex could just have more encoders packed in instead of the 3 knobs + 3 footswitches the Ampero does.

You don't need that big a touchscreen if the UI is designed well. The one on my Luminite Graviton M1 is 3.5" and I have no trouble operating that.

The Hotone Ampero II Stomp is not much larger than the HX Stomp, in fact it's almost exactly the size of half a QC if you rotate the pedal sideways. Still has a decent size touchscreen. Dual Cortex could just have more encoders packed in instead of the 3 knobs + 3 footswitches the Ampero does.

You don't need that big a touchscreen if the UI is designed well. The one on my Luminite Graviton M1 is 3.5" and I have no trouble operating that.

I had the Headrush MX5 with the tiny little touchscreen and while it was not terrible, I really wanted to have knobs to use along side it because adjusting settings was not fun at all. I'm sure it can be done well, just makes me skeptical.

Although if they had the rotary switches that would be an improvement.

So what are you thinking Laxu?
Hotone Ampero stomp size or slightly larger
With six switches underneath
Volume on the back
5” touchscreen

If they chopped a row of footswitches off it still leaves 4 footswitches A-D plus two page switches.

Imo having both a 4fs dual and an 8fs quad is fine. Your aren’t going to be able to release 37 different versions to accommodate every persons preferred footswitch layout and midi switches are small and cheap these days if you have really specific needs.

If the 3-4fs could also have dual inputs (short vs long tap) You could still have 6-8 scenes easily accessible per preset without having to add another midi controller.

Back