Trying out the NDSP Quad Cortex

Jarick

Shredder
Didn't want to hijack the other threads, so figured I'd start a new one.

I'm planning to pick up a Quad Cortex tomorrow. I got a surprisingly nice year end bonus and much of it will go towards paying off some debt but thought I'd treat myself to something as well.

Why bother with the QC if you have the Axe FX 3 and lots of other stuff?

I love the Axe FX 3 overall, but often it just feels like a chore to use it. The menus, the editor, it's not a fun experience. Sonically it does just about anything I'd want but there's often some fussing around required.

The Kemper and GT-1000 aren't it and I've been just too lazy to sell them. I don't like Kemper profiles, it's a rabbit hole and lacks flexibility. Liquid profiling helps a lot but swapping cabs tends to sound weird and we all know the cab is the most important part of the tone. The GT-1000 just plain doesn't sound or feel very good to me, and I don't like the effects.

The Helix stuff...I hate to say but I'm kind of over it. I have the Stomp and an HX Effects and I just don't like the amp modeling at all anymore. The effects are not bad, but it's been close to a decade of using it.

I'm also very intrigued by the Fender TMP as it looks like a really cool device but every sound demo I've heard has been underwhelming. There's all kinds of bugs and issues that need sorting out as well.

So why the Quad Cortex?

I've been hearing tons of great clips of the Quad Cortex lately and it seems like the development has mostly caught up to where it needs to be. I have several of their plugins and they tend to sound great, so if they can integrate those that would be a huge plus too. Being able to capture the Friedman IR-X will be really interesting as well, if it does a better job of Kemper then I can easily keep the IRX hooked up to the Axe FX 3.

The size and interface is very appealing as a standalone unit that doesn't require a computer editor or footswitch. I'm redoing my office space and being able to quickly move the QC to different desks or areas is a big plus. I could also just put it on a stand on the desk which is nice.

In terms of reservations...I'm not sure about the effects. I'm not a massive effects user but I always really enjoy using stereo delays and reverbs. The QC has some options here but we will see how they work in practice. I also haven't seen too much for EVH style pitch detune either so will have to see the chorus effects. I'm also a bit concerned if the high end will be a little too aggressive...the QC always seems very present sounding which isn't always my favorite.

I'm also a bit concerned if the high end will be a little too aggressive...the QC always seems very present sounding which isn't always my favorite.
It has very similar stuff to the Fractal Dyna-Cabs so this is not an issue at all, just move the virtual mic to make it darker or smoother.

Nothing better than just trying this stuff and seeing if it works for you. I liked using the QC a lot.

I liked using the QC a lot.

Anyone who tells you the unit isn't just flat out fun to create and edit with is lying. Dislike the tones, dislike the company and hype, but the unit is an absolute blast to use and the instant gratification factor can't be understated. @Jarick you mentioned delays; you could easily create a preset using every single delay on the unit so you can quickly AB between them all in less than 60 seconds - no editor required.

I'm really looking forward to your review on those aspects of the box. Tones are subjective - fun isn't.

Anyone who tells you the unit isn't just flat out fun to create and edit with is lying. Dislike the tones, dislike the company and hype, but the unit is an absolute blast to use and the instant gratification factor can't be understated. @Jarick you mentioned delays; you could easily create a preset using every single delay on the unit so you can quickly AB between them all in less than 60 seconds - no editor required.

I'm really looking forward to your review on those aspects of the box. Tones are subjective - fun isn't.

I think that's the key word...FUN. IMO the Axe FX 3 is tops for maturity, variety, complexity, all that jazz. It's just not always the most fun to use as an musical or inspirational tool. Pedals are a lot of fun but that's a super expensive rabbit hole and dealing with power and connections is a pain.

I think being able to physically interact with the device could be really nice, both using the touch screen as well as turning knobs. I actually found the Headrush devices fun, although they have their own limitations. A big color touchscreen with an assortment of physical knobs in a compact package that can fit on the desk seems ideal for me.

YOU MAY like it so much the axefx will be on the heap of the modelers you already have
sandy-sigh.gif

Congrats on the bonus! I can count on one finger the number of times I've gotten a bonus in my career. And that finger would probably be one of my pinkies. :)

Agree (as I've said many times elsewhere) about the QC being fast and fun to work with, and very easy to repurpose because it brings so much I/O in such a small package. The WiFi connectivity (temperamental as it is for some) also helps with portability.

As for quickly moving the QC between desks, etc., just be forewarned that the reason it's so perfect for these applications is because it accommodates so much I/O. After a while, disconnecting/reconnecting all those cables can become a chore. The biggest problem I have with the QC is that I keep wanting more of them. I consider replacing it with an FM3 on the desk, but the FM3 has no mic input and fewer independent paths, so it's not as capable as a central hub. If I leave the QC at the desk, and put the FM3 somewhere else, I find myself wanting a laptop just to run its editor, and so on. One Catch-22 after another.

Lastly, I know you're attracted to the interface and the integrated footswitching, but in reality, it kind of turns into a one or the other proposition - unless you're more "set it and forget it" than I am. I would recommend a MIDI footswitch on the floor if you're going to keep your QC on your desk. I think that plays to the design's strengths most effectively. (Also subjective, of course...)

Last edited:
I've had mine a few weeks now, as you know, and am liking it more and more, the more I use it. Also, 4cm with an amp is great and was an unexpected benefit.

As for effects, it's met all my needs except for Uni-Vibe (it has it, but it sucks), however my effect use is pretty basic and I don't get too far into deep editing, etc. But I am particular about delay and phase and I like the QC's. However, I can see how a delay-maniac would find it falling short.

Profiling unique drive pedals that aren't modeled anywhere is great and filled a long-unmet need for me with other modelers/multi-effects. Was always making do with what they had and learning to go without my two longtime favourites (Keeley Fuzz Head and MXR CBMOD). Now I've got them in captures that sound and feel great.

In addition, the QC capture of my amp - that also hasn't been modelled anywhere - is the happiest I've been with any model/profile/capture, by far, so that's pretty huge, and it was very easy to do.

I also plan on running my vocals through it live, so that's another area it suits me more than say, Fractal.

Anyway, it has a lot going for it, hope you enjoy it!

I absolutely agree - you can also say the same about the Fender Tone Master Pro!
the great thing is the qc and the tmp will be avail for a long time and in stock so waiting till either or both catch up to fractal in terms of tones and effects is a no brainer. by then fractal and line6 and bluamp will drop new stuff anyhow

Back