I bought my friends "old" Fractal FM3

@JiveTurkey has some new ammo though.
Follow What GIF

Yeah, "more than I need" is a key takeaway here. I should acknowledge that my inability to fully appreciate the FAS experience stems from the fact that I barely have time to play guitar, much less deep dive into the FM3's (perhaps not especially well-presented) feature set.
I can sympathize. I've got an infant son who makes it very difficult to find time to play. I am playing less than 1.5 hours per week right now whereas I used to play more like 7 hours a week.

It takes a fairly substantial time investment to learn the Fractal ecosystem. A lot of the amazing functionality is essentially inaccessible if you don't have the time to learn and implement it on your own presets. I spend a load of time watching Fractal tutorials on YouTube, reading the forums, and even consulting the manual / blocks guide.

Last edited:
alls I say is we love what we love, as long as we is enjoying what we have then its all good
and I agree gear aint doing it for you? turn into cash
Im that way, Got pissed off at my Charvel MiM shit QC its now sold
and well no more MiM guitars....ever

One of my best friends got himself a Quad Cortex and made me a stupid good deal on the FM3 he was using before. I've been messing with this thing for less than 30 minutes trying to create the sound of my Diezel Herbert and hooooly shit, this thing is good. I am pretty sure I am going to die of starvation infront of this thing tweaking parameters.
Digital has come along way since I sold my Kemper a few years back
View attachment 18411

My best friend and godfather to my princess sold his FM3 for a QuadCortex and all was find until one day, about 6 month after the sale we went into the studio to help another friend dial he's new FM3 with a MESA Mark IV serving as a power amplifier thru a OS 4X12.

My BF brought along his rig also consisting of a real amp a MESA Triple Crown. So, the tone coming out fo the FM3 was so good that we could not match it with the QC. A few days later my BF sold the QC and bought an FM9 and he is still happy with it.

The QC has this sound that its no match to Fractals amazing modeling.

Whatcha replacing it with? (Or saving for the Dual Cortex? :ROFLMAO: )
If anything, a second QC. But that's crazy, so probably nothing LOL.

It's not like I can't afford to sit on the FM3, but I hate seeing stuff collect dust, and I'm worried it'll eventually depreciate.

P.S. Re: same price, you could always buy it back and then try to turn a proper profit on it. :D (But what a hassle LOL.)

I can sympathize. I've got an infant son who makes it very difficult to find time to play. I am playing less than 1.5 hours per week right now whereas I used to play more like 7 hours a week.

It takes a fairly substantial time investment to learn the Fractal ecosystem. A lot of the amazing functionality is essentially inaccessible if you don't have the time to learn and implement it on your own presets. I spend a load of time watching Fractal tutorials on YouTube, reading the forums, and even consulting the manual / blocks guide.
I think Fractal could blow up the whole narrative by developing a simple mode for on device editing.
The stock settings on the amps, cabs and FX sound really good.
None of the criticism for the GUI is that you can go insanely deep with tone creation. It's that access to all of that stuff all the time can get confusing when trying to make quick tweaks. Being able to go easily from basic to advanced parameters could actually be a GAME CHANGER :facepalm for a lot of people.

easy GIF

I think Fractal could blow up the whole narrative by developing a simple mode for on device editing.
I’ve been preaching this since the AX8. Adding an option to “hide” everything but the authentic parameters (think Helix) is all they’d need to do to appeal to a whole new class of potential buyers.

But the answer is always, “then don’t use those parameters!”

What’s more attractive to a non-reader? A four hundred page novel or a copy of the Cliff’s Notes?

Last edited:
I’ve been preaching this since the AX8. Adding an option to “hide” everything but the authentic parameters (think Helix) is all they’d need to do to appeal to a whole new class of potential buyers.

But the answer is always, “then don’t use those parameters!”

What’s more attractive to a non-reader? A four hundred page novel or a copy of the Cliff’s Notes?
Think Outer Space GIF by NASA

None of the criticism for the GUI is that you can go insanely deep with tone creation. It's that access to all of that stuff all the time can get confusing when trying to make quick tweaks. Being able to go easily from basic to advanced parameters could actually be a GAME CHANGER :facepalm for a lot of people.

easy GIF
Uh, it's already there. Authentic amp page + DynaCabs.

easy GIF

I'm in the minority in that I don't find the on device UI to be all that bad. Yes, the button sequences can be cumbersome and there's obviously room for improvements, but I've been able to do everything I need with the onboard controls including deep parameter tweaks.

I was getting at the fact that some of the most powerful features (modifiers and scene controllers, for example) require that you understand what they do and how to assign them, but they also require some thought and creativity in how you might apply them to create a sound that would be otherwise difficult or impossible to achieve with a traditional pedal board and amp rig.

Figuring that stuff out takes time that some people don't have or are unwilling to invest. Those individuals would likely be better served by a device with a shallower feature set and a more intuitive UI. That is totally okay. I think Fractal makes the best products in the niche market of modeling hardware, but that doesn't mean that they are the best choice for every person.

Exactly this for me. The FM3 always seems like it would fare better tethered to a PC for editing/configuration, but it doesn't bring enough I/O, etc. to effectively bump the QC off my desk. The QC is filling the same role for me that AxeFX 3 is serving for you: audio interface, I/O hub, etc.

So the FM3 is over by the power amp/ guitar cab rig, where I turn it on and kind of skim the surface, figuring I'll eventually get around to connecting a laptop. (But the last time I tried that, FAS Edit installation failed, woot.) Meanwhile, maybe a few things sound a little better, but through a guitar cab, meh, it's kind of a wash? :idk

Then I turn on the QC and the interface is slick as hell, I'm downloading captures, pushing EQ nodes around on a touchscreen, etc. etc. etc. and it's just a blast. I start feeling like I'm trying too hard to want the FM3.

All that said, I can totally see where an AxeFX 3 semi-permanently connected to my desktop PC would be a blast.

100%. I’ve had a bunch of fractals and the axe 3 is the ultimate. It gets all the updates and because the interface is not great works better hooked up to the computer and sitting on a rack.

QC is a blast for the plug and play factor for sure. Really like mine. If I had to just pick one it would probably be Axe 3 only because of FOMO.

Totally get that. When I was trying to find a new job, then dealing with crushing stress and anxiety from that change, I barely played. Had three kids so been through the new baby thing too. Best thing to do is to set up a few sounds and try not to fuss, and always have it set up so you can easily play when you get a chance.

Back