I bought my friends "old" Fractal FM3

No worries - I didn't mean to come off as super-serious either. :)
I'm going to give one of these to myself
girl crying GIF

They're different products with different strengths and weaknesses.

This is the key point. If you want capturing/profiling, the FM3 just straight up doesn't have it. So the comparison might as well end there, if that's what one wants (like me). And if you want a gigantic library of effects and amp models, the QC doesn't have that, so the FM3 is a better choice. (And clearly, Fractal is way better for product support, communication, updates, etc.)

But on a basic, "what does this product do" level, the capturing vs strictly modelling approach sets them apart immediately and makes it apples vs oranges.

It just kind of sat in a weird inbetween use case.
Exactly this for me. The FM3 always seems like it would fare better tethered to a PC for editing/configuration, but it doesn't bring enough I/O, etc. to effectively bump the QC off my desk. The QC is filling the same role for me that AxeFX 3 is serving for you: audio interface, I/O hub, etc.

So the FM3 is over by the power amp/ guitar cab rig, where I turn it on and kind of skim the surface, figuring I'll eventually get around to connecting a laptop. (But the last time I tried that, FAS Edit installation failed, woot.) Meanwhile, maybe a few things sound a little better, but through a guitar cab, meh, it's kind of a wash? :idk

Then I turn on the QC and the interface is slick as hell, I'm downloading captures, pushing EQ nodes around on a touchscreen, etc. etc. etc. and it's just a blast. I start feeling like I'm trying too hard to want the FM3.

All that said, I can totally see where an AxeFX 3 semi-permanently connected to my desktop PC would be a blast.

Exactly this for me. The FM3 always seems like it would fare better tethered to a PC for editing/configuration, but it doesn't bring enough I/O, etc. to effectively bump the QC off my desk. The QC is filling the same role for me that AxeFX 3 is serving for you: audio interface, I/O hub, etc.

So the FM3 is over by the power amp/ guitar cab rig, where I turn it on and kind of skim the surface, figuring I'll eventually get around to connecting a laptop. (But the last time I tried that, FAS Edit installation failed, woot.) Meanwhile, maybe a few things sound a little better, but through a guitar cab, meh, it's kind of a wash? :idk

Then I turn on the QC and the interface is slick as hell, I'm downloading captures, pushing EQ nodes around on a touchscreen, etc. etc. etc. and it's just a blast. I start feeling like I'm trying too hard to want the FM3.

All that said, I can totally see where an AxeFX 3 semi-permanently connected to my desktop PC would be a blast.
FM9.

:stirthepot:satan:rofl

That's my "if I ever have another rockstar wannabe chapter in my life" move. For the moment, the QC is perfect. I just need to stop throwing money around for no reason. :D
Totally get it. I've had to put off getting the Axe3 due to unforeseen expenses -- it was certainly on my radar. But honestly I have more than I really need, although it is fun getting new toys tools occasionally. :grin

audio interface
using a modeller as an audio interface=

Poker Face Jump GIF by Peacock

But yeah I totally agree with you. I have an HX Stomp too, and while that barely gets used either, I use HX Native a TON, and the stomp is small enough to fit on my pedalboard and versatile enough to fill any gaps in when there’s no computer involved.

FM-3 wouldn’t fit on that board, need another power cable, a lot more fudging around to adjust on the fly just for small dedicated tasks. It’s more of a replacement for a pedalboard than something that fits on one.

Can totally see how QC would work for you for how you use it. For my use, I’d much rather use their plugins (which is what I do).

But honestly I have more than I really need, although it is fun getting new toys tools occasionally. :grin
Yeah, "more than I need" is a key takeaway here. I should acknowledge that my inability to fully appreciate the FAS experience stems from the fact that I barely have time to play guitar, much less deep dive into the FM3's (perhaps not especially well-presented) feature set.

The III is the goldilocks. If there will never be an FM0. I love that d@mn thing to pieces \m/
Speaking of the FM0, I've seen it being midi controllable thrown around, which is cool. But has it been mentioned that it would be amazing to have BT and an app to control it? If so, I'll add to beating a dead horse but that would be awesome to have a truly small FM unit and just make edits on a tablet or phone (or midi)

Speaking of the FM0, I've seen it being midi controllable thrown around, which is cool. But has it been mentioned that it would be amazing to have BT and an app to control it? If so, I'll add to beating a dead horse but that would be awesome to have a truly small FM unit and just make edits on a tablet or phone (or midi)
Actually; I don't want ANYTHING midi on the FM0. I want an FC jack because that is the way. BT editing would be great \m/

using a modeller as an audio interface=
Believe it or not, this has been smooth sailing for me. QC, and an ancient Dell i5 all-in-one I "rescued" from work when they were going to recycle it. Threw in an old SSD I had laying around and that was that. Even with the QC being as pricy as it was, it's basically a $1650 recording studio. (y)

100% agree with the rest of your post.

Yeah, "more than I need" is a key takeaway here. I should acknowledge that my inability to fully appreciate the FAS experience stems from the fact that I barely have time to play guitar, much less deep dive into the FM3's (perhaps not especially well-presented) feature set.
In my current musical reality, all I really need is Helix Native, some guitars and a few pedals. Not that my scenario won't change at some point, but that is what I use most at the moment. I could literally sell the rest and be fine... but I have a hard time letting equipment go. I've regretted decisions in the past so that little devil on my shoulder pops up now and then.:satan

Back