NMD: NDSP Quad Cortex

TubeStack

Shredder
Okay, so I had to try it. Curiosity can only be held off for so long.

So far, I am having a lot of fun and really enjoying it!

Will include more thoughts in the next post. Here's a couple pics, for now (including some sexy PRS content, for those less-enthused by anything NDSP :grin).

IMG_4940.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

Is it noisy?

Not in how I'm using it, so far. At least, no more/less than any other modeler I've used down there (FM3, FM9, Helix Floor, Stomp, Kemper Stage). I usually get some noise from lights in the house, etc, but the QC doesn't seem any better or worse than the others.

This is just basic solid state power amp + guitar cab use, though. Haven't tried to record or anything with it, yet.

I know we've all read a million things about the QC, however here's my personal thoughts to add on, for what they're worth.

I've been using that gold top Core 594 straight in, with an ISP Stealth Pro power amp and Mesa Rectifier 2x12.

A few thoughts on Day 3:

The Good
- it sounds and feels amazing
- captures sound REALLY GREAT, hugely realistic and with lots of "presence in the room"
- very quickly found two factory captures that could each be my main "forever tone": Marshall Silver Jubilee and Mesa Tremoverb
- I like the limited ability to fine-tune captures, it encourages me to just play and not question/tweak
- effects are limited in amount/selection, but the ones that are my go-to's all sound really good (drives, tape delay, phase, octave down)
- the UI is very effective and really ups the fun factor + speed of use/creativity/play time; I was actually smiling to myself, at points, it was so fun
- touchscreen is responsive and works well; I've been a "down with touchscreens on guitar gear" guy in the past, but this has converted me
- love the size and weight
- long-awaited desktop editor seems good and works well
- finding and downloading a few Electra Dyne captures to try was smooth and easy

The Bad
- power supply is super cheap, as we all know
- haven't been able to get it to connect to my wifi; I'm down in the basement and far from the router on main floor, but my phone, iPad, and MacBook all connect fine down there; also haven't been able to connect it to my phone's hotspot (connecting with cable to MacBook, for now)
- top switches are very close to bottom ones, will have to see how this goes when playing live
- limited ability to customize switches in Stomp/pedalboard mode, can't seem to choose LED colour when assigning multiple effects/amps to one switch?
- Uni-Vibe is meh, way better than Kemper's but not as good as L6 or Fractal
- this is more of a "we'll see" statement, but as @DrewJD82 has pointed out, I keep coming across people having hardware/software issues and looking for help online, so I'm wary of it happening to me; however I did get a Black Friday deal of 1 year free extended warranty, so that helps a bit

The Ugly
- absolutely none!
- this is a really sleek and great looking device, love the look and overall aesthetic
- I am a visual guy and everything about the QC's physical form and on-screen visuals looks fantastic and is a pleasing experience

General Comparisons to "the others"
- it's early in the experience, but I'd say QC captures have an equal "holy sh*t" factor to Fractal's amp models, in terms of realism and wow-reaction; maybe slightly less detail, but still high levels of "this sounds insanely good and extremely close to a real amp" and just a big wow-factor
- QC amp models don't have the same impact; I'd say they're less than Fractal but better than L6 (except maybe the new L6 2203?)
- QC captures have a similar quality to Kemper profiles, in that they sound “more analog” than amp models to me, not sure how else to describe it; just a thicker, more- present sound that fills the room in a different way?
- while sharing this quality ^^^, to my ears, the QC captures seem to have a greater level of detail/are more “high def” than Kemper
- in terms of form factor, so far I much prefer the QC over any of them

Okay, so I had to try it. Curiosity can only be held off for so long.

So far, I am having a lot of fun and really enjoying it!

Will include more thoughts in the next post. Here's a couple pics, for now (including some sexy PRS content, for those less-enthused by anything NDSP :grin).

View attachment 14538

View attachment 14540
Yeah but what's that weird box next to the beautiful guitar?

As others you've said you shouldn't have posted with the guitar because that stole the show 😂

And yes, captures are the main draw to the QC imo. I'm just tired of capture searching and not being able to accurately adjust. BUT they do sound really good.

As others you've said you shouldn't have posted with the guitar because that stole the show 😂

And yes, captures are the main draw to the QC imo. I'm just tired of capture searching and not being able to accurately adjust. BUT they do sound really good.
Waiting for the Quickquid Capture Update

Seriously, when you can get a shot of a PRS that shows all the carving/depth, pretty hard to beat that. Same thing with Les Pauls; front shots can be so dull looking but you catch one of the carve and it’s “Ahhhhhh that’s fucking beautiful”

So true!

(And thanks for focusing on what you like in the picture... I know you're probably biting your tongue hard right now. :grin)

Over It Reaction GIF by Bounce

Back