NMD: NDSP Quad Cortex

Right. Which, combined with footswitch, looper, and mode switching assignments (e.g. to combine Scenes and effect bypass toggles), can make for very flexible floorboard layouts. And that’s without bothering with Hybrid mode, which will sometimes make things easier.

It’s nothing crazy like FAS’ extensive mapping, but sometimes it doesn’t need to be.
I suppose you could use a MIDI controller to select scenes and use the QC's footswitches for stomp mode.

One thing the QC will always be unique in is plugins on their device. If implemented as they say it will, and if done correctly, I think it will be a huge advantage.

Notice the ifs though 😂
I'm not sure I agree. What does plugin support bring to the table besides more amps and effects... except with an annoying paywall? Isn't this just another form of QC playing catch up to e.g. FAS?

I mean, OK, there's the allure of sharing presets between the studio and the stage, but if the components are comparable between the two NDSP platforms, as one would expect, that shouldn't be too big a hurdle either way.

IMO, this makes QC a different - not necessarily lesser - solution. Yes, it may require an additional footcontroller (depending on one's specific needs), but it also brings an excellent control surface (literally and figuratively) to the table. The latter is something I've tried to achieve on every modeling platform I've ever owned, and it's always proven to be far more difficult than setting up an effective footcontroller scheme.

I think this is somewhat disingenuous. If you're working that hard to set up your footcontroller, it's not "basic stuff". Like pretty much everything else about QC, the MIDI implementation is very straightforward. Whether that's a good thing or a show-stopper comes down to the individual performer's requirements.

But whatever. Different strokes.

I’m just saying it’s a fair consideration:

Do I want to build a rig out of multiple components?

Or do I want one device that does what I need?

I suppose you could use a MIDI controller to select scenes and use the QC's footswitches for stomp mode.
There are a lot of really effective combinations. For instance: program the top row of a MIDI controller to always select Scenes, and program the bottom half of the controller to trigger the on-device footswitch - whatever its current mode dictates (more scenes, stomps, looper buttons...) Then program one button to cycle between whatever modes are relevant. (Maybe one more for tap tempo.)

This was my approach before Hybrid came around; now I usually just map everything to mirror the on-device switches and keep the device on a desk. Live, I'd probably have it on a cabinet or stand, so I could make adjustments as needed.

I'm not sure I agree. What does plugin support bring to the table besides more amps and effects... except with an annoying paywall? Isn't this just another form of QC playing catch up to e.g. FAS?

If you’re one of the people that owns and uses a lot of the plugs…

Sound Of Music GIF

Which was a big(ger) deal around launch when their primary audience was plug-in owners.

It will test my resolve in a big way when the SLO and Plini plugs are ported to the QC. I have a handful of presets on those that are absolute favorites of mine for clean tones. Yeah I can get close with other shit, I don’t care. lol Those are my beloved presets.

Hustling Dave Chappelle GIF

There is nothing rational about the gear game.

I could never figure the thing out.
I'm playing with it now. It's actually pretty cool once you start to get it dialed in. But it's very sensitive to where you put it in the device chain (prefers to be post-dirt pedals; maybe this is typical of harmonizers? I rarely use them...) and it is viciously NOT polyphonic. :oops:

Reactions: JT
If you’re one of the people that owns and uses a lot of the plugs…

Which was a big(ger) deal around launch when their primary audience was plug-in owners.
See my previous post re: "business plan". It may simply be that I'm underestimating the number of homo sapiens happily rocking NDSP plugins and looking for a hardware solution. :idk

Dual detune is the 90s EVH sound. It's not guitar synthesis.
Surely neither are "guitar synthesis" per se?

Is dual detune essentially two pitch shifters in parallel? (I'm not suggesting this would "resolve" the problem on QC - it would gobble up two lanes and effectively cripple the device.)

Surely neither are "guitar synthesis" per se?

Is dual detune essentially two pitch shifters in parallel? (I'm not suggesting this would "resolve" the problem on QC - it would gobble up two lanes and effectively cripple the device.)
No. But pointing out a lack of polyphonic capability has me scratching my head. Is there someone in the thread here familiar with dual detune and this microtoner thing that can compare the two?

No. But pointing out a lack of polyphonic capability has me scratching my head. Is there someone in the thread here familiar with dual detune and this microtoner thing that can compare the two?
I see. Yeah, I'm definitely conflating detune and pitch shifting and harmonizers. Sorry about that.

"Microtoner" LOL. :D

(P.S. re: "compare the two", @Aleksi already has.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JT
And now I will add insult to injury by throwing Whammy Pedal into the mix. :D Since this has two pitches, couldn't you leave it unmapped and use it to the same effect as dual detune?

1710270965389.png

Ah shoot. Semitones only. Nevermind....

I have not found the QC to have the EVH micropitch effect which is a bummer. Fractal is king here, Boss is okay, Helix sounds squirrelly, QC is lacking.

Poly or not the pitch shifting is pretty decent for capo effects. Not flawless but I don’t think any of the effects are.

Back