Soldano SLO vs modelers

Is the QC model based on the newer BAD SLO 100?
Follow up from NDSP Forum:

Random Member:
"The Soldano model on the QC is an older one and the plugin is the newer one, probably the 2020 one."

And then it was confirmed by a NDSP employee

But with the QC SLO update, I bet they updated it to the newer one.

Follow up from NDSP Forum:

Random Member:
"The Soldano model on the QC is an older one and the plugin is the newer one, probably the 2020 one."

And then it was confirmed by a NDSP employee

But with the QC SLO update, I bet they updated it to the newer one.

There was an update? I missed that. I gotta check but if the QC model has the depth control, that would be awesome...

Killer vid @GuitarJon - in the end the only people who will ever hear a difference are tone chasing guitar players. Regardless, Soldano rules.

There was an update? I missed that. I gotta check but if the QC model has the depth control, that would be awesome...
Yes the SLO got an update, but no, It`s a older model and it does not have a depth control. It also don`t have the Overdrive/Gain knobs. Only the Gain
But I got close to the BEA SLO 100 video on youtube. It sounds good. But needs a boost to get it high gain I think ( as I would think is the deal with a real amp as well

Last edited:
I just listened for which I liked better, not which was the amp vs model.

A seemed a bit warmer to me, B was a little brighter. I liked A better. But honestly, a little EQ'ing on the helix and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm sure that, as is, you couldn't hear the difference live.

My first thought was that the SLO 30 isn’t really the playing experience of the original SLO anyway. The original is stiff and less forgiving by comparison. I like the 30 but it’s not the same. As for models they all get a pretty decent tone on record but in the room the amplifier and cabs are so important that comparison is almost pointless. In the past I compared an axe 2 to an original SLO with a vht 2502 amplifier and the SLOs cab . Pretty close for the listener but pretty obviously different feel.

My first thought was that the SLO 30 isn’t really the playing experience of the original SLO anyway. The original is stiff and less forgiving by comparison. I like the 30 but it’s not the same. As for models they all get a pretty decent tone on record but in the room the amplifier and cabs are so important that comparison is almost pointless. In the past I compared an axe 2 to an original SLO with a vht 2502 amplifier and the SLOs cab . Pretty close for the listener but pretty obviously different feel.
"It feels different" is a common argument against modelers, but as a counterpoint I'll throw in the 1001 options you have at your disposal to change the feel, from compressors to more advanced amp controls, speaker impedance curves etc.

The expectation still seems to be that you can just plug it in and it will be 1:1, when the modeler doesn't really "know" what it is connected to. Going into a guitar cab the poweramp alone will change how it feels to play.

"It feels different" is a common argument against modelers, but as a counterpoint I'll throw in the 1001 options you have at your disposal to change the feel, from compressors to more advanced amp controls, speaker impedance curves etc.

The expectation still seems to be that you can just plug it in and it will be 1:1, when the modeler doesn't really "know" what it is connected to. Going into a guitar cab the poweramp alone will change how it feels to play.
Agreed but even in to the SLO power stage and cab it was different. No amount of tweaking ( feel parameters ) gets you nearer. I don't expect the same settings on both to be the same , they aren't even on two SLO amps or anything else for that matter. When I see people to pedal demos with the setting the same I find it hard to take seriously anything they say unless caveated by a comment about electronic part tolerances and the cumulative effects of many small differences. People should set one to the sound that want and then tweak the other to as close as they can by ear.

Agreed but even in to the SLO power stage and cab it was different. No amount of tweaking ( feel parameters ) gets you nearer. I don't expect the same settings on both to be the same , they aren't even on two SLO amps or anything else for that matter.
I do still feel there's plenty you can do to get them closer on the modelers with advanced parameter options. Of course a SLO30 won't be quite the same thing as a SLO100 even with the real amps, that powerstage does make a difference. Probably easier to try to make the SLO100 feel more like the SLO30 than vice versa.

When I see people to pedal demos with the setting the same I find it hard to take seriously anything they say unless caveated by a comment about electronic part tolerances and the cumulative effects of many small differences. People should set one to the sound that want and then tweak the other to as close as they can by ear.
Totally agree with this. Pick a reference tone, see what it takes to dial the other thing to sound similar.

When I see people to pedal demos with the setting the same I find it hard to take seriously anything they say unless caveated by a comment about electronic part tolerances and the cumulative effects of many small differences. People should set one to the sound that want and then tweak the other to as close as they can by ear.
If we take Line 6 and Fractal as an example, as AFAIK, the Line 6 models essentially include the values from the potentiometers on the reference amp, whereas Fractal assumes potentiometers that are 100% "in-spec".

Neither approach is right/wrong, but it does mean that the "knob" values on the models could actually differ quite drastically for any given "tone", even if both companies used precisely the same reference amp.

Neither approach is right/wrong, but it does mean that the "knob" values on the models could actually differ quite drastically for any given "tone", even if both companies used precisely the same reference amp.

Absolutely. In fact, potentiometers are likely the loosest parts in tolerance on any tube amp out there.

It's not uncommon to see +/- 20% errors, or resistance curves which look nothing like what's advertised.

Last edited:
Yes the SLO got an update, but no, It`s a older model and it does not have a depth control. It also don`t have the Overdrive/Gain knobs. Only the Gain
But I got close to the BEA SLO 100 video on youtube. It sounds good. But needs a boost to get it high gain I think ( as I would think is the deal with a real amp as well
I love Rabea's original SLO video that he put out way back in the day. That's been my inspirational guitar tone. The Helix Solo Lead Crunch gets me 100% there

Last edited:
Back