Quad Cortex PCOM (Plugin COMpatibility) slated by Q2 2024

Lysander

Shredder
Also, CorOS 2.3.0 and Cortex Control are officially releasing today.

Screenshot from 2024-01-03 12-33-36.png

EXTREMELY BORING but genuinely curious how they are going to handle ilok/copy protection, wonder if they'll move to another system when PCOM comes. Given that users will have already forked out a good £1500 or so on a QC, and that most of the plugin amps are already in the QC, they're probably better off keeping a more rigid protection on the plugins, and something less secure on the QC.

The QC is very cloud-centric, so handling licenses should be straightforward for Neural: if your registered user doesn't own plugin X, you don't get to use it on the device.
Makes me wonder how that plays out for extended offline use (e.g on tour) and whether it requires "calling home" periodically to check for a valid license. I assume it would use something like an expiring unique, per user and per plugin certificate or something like that to validate purchases on the QC side.

iLok does not seem to run on Linux so there's no option to just have that as a service on the QC.

Makes me wonder how that plays out for extended offline use (e.g on tour) and whether it requires "calling home" periodically to check for a valid license. I assume it would use something like an expiring unique, per user and per plugin certificate or something like that to validate purchases on the QC side.

Welp, this is why you shouldn't rely on cloud-centric hardware for music gear. It's bad enough for a plugin, but this is a box designed to play live.

ngl, the constant phoning home is one of the reasons i got rid of my QC back then. Mine would randomly log off my Cortex Cloud user every couple weeks; i don't know what would happen with plugin support in such a scenario.

Welp, this is why you shouldn't rely on cloud-centric hardware for music gear. It's bad enough for a plugin, but this is a box designed to play live.

ngl, the constant phoning home is one of the reasons i got rid of my QC back then. Mine would randomly log off my Cortex Cloud user every couple weeks; i don't know what would happen with plugin support in such a scenario.
I think we're probably borrowing trouble where this specific point is concerned. There's no reason to assume the QC would change state and revert access to content in absence of a connection.

And I only care to the extent that I'll probably eventually be strong-armed into buying a plugin with a spring reverb that doesn't sound like ass. (At 50% off, naturally.)

Any word as to whether 2.3.0 will include any new content or improvements? It seems odd that they'd do a full minor revision just to give their official blessing to functionality that was already working in beta. :idk

And here I thought you were the QC's 2nd biggest fan. :rofl Not in the market for plugins, maybe?
This is me `acting to be a QC hater`

Acting Emily Blunt GIF by SAG Awards

I have most of the plugins in capture form, but I look forward to having a model of the Darkglass b7K and Parallax plugins as I own these

It is telling that they chose to include the comment about how releasing / updating plugins has no affect on the speed at which they will finally deliver on the promise of plugin compatibility for the QC. They must be seeing all the comments in the forums complaining that the company diverts too many resources to developing new plugins when all people want is for the plugins to actually work on the QC.

EXTREMELY BORING but genuinely curious how they are going to handle ilok/copy protection, wonder if they'll move to another system when PCOM comes. Given that users will have already forked out a good £1500 or so on a QC, and that most of the plugin amps are already in the QC, they're probably better off keeping a more rigid protection on the plugins, and something less secure on the QC.
Doug will come round yer house and turn you into a protein patty for his workouts, if you pirate their stuff.

Back