Trying out the NDSP Quad Cortex

They asked me to make a draft for the revised manual post 3.0.

99% legit.
I still don’t know why they don’t fix it going fwd with new plug 🔌
It’s like they continue to buy size 40 pants 👖 and then have to take them to a tailor because their waist is a 34

I still don’t know why they don’t fix it going fwd with new plug 🔌
It’s like they continue to buy size 40 pants 👖 and then have to take them to a tailor because their waist is a 34
It feels like it's been awhile since NDSP released a plugin? And by "awhile" I mean with their previous release schedule but I have not looked up anything to confirm that lol

It feels like it's been awhile since NDSP released a plugin? And by "awhile" I mean with their previous release schedule but I have not looked up anything to confirm that lol
If they were using common sense they would be making X plug-ins going fwd , but we will see
We know there is a VAI one
A rumoured Devin T
And likely a Freidman suite based on his love for them

If they were using common sense they would be making X plug-ins going fwd
Yeah it would but idk, I have to imagine they realize not doing so would duplicate efforts.

I think it may be an effects thing. I wonder how the potentially more resource intensive effects in plugins will transfer over to the QC. Not saying the QC won't have the power but maybe the coding is more time consuming or difficult?

At the end of the day I think you hit the nail on the head. It's quicker for them to release the plugin "early" generate sales and then work on making it QC compatible.

“The QC is now fully compatible with select Neural Plugins that are compatible with the QC. Neural Plug-ins that are not compatible with the QC, (which is is now fully compatible with select compatible Neural Plugins) will be made compatible soon. Future Neural Plugins may not be QC compatible at release, but will be brought to full compatibility at a future date with the QC, which is now fully compatible with select compatible Neural plugins”
a1346689507_65

They asked me to make a draft for the revised manual post 3.0.

99% legit.
Not sure whether I should be embarrassed, or whether NDSP should be embarrassed, that I took that for a real quote. :D

I mean, it does a pretty fair job of describing their "plan".

Not sure whether I should be embarrassed, or whether NDSP should be embarrassed, that I took that for a real quote. :D

I mean, it does a pretty fair job of describing their "plan".

Yeah, I thought it would be obvious but the fact that it wasn’t is kind of hilarious. :ROFLMAO:

This is what I've been on (and on, and on, and on) about from the beginning. NDSP's approach was never going to result in "QC Plugin Compatibility" per se, but merely "QC-Compatible Plugin Compatibility". Which will always be a work in progress.

Best case scenario they draw a line in the sand and only release QC compatible plugins moving forward. That at least contains the amount of outstanding plugins not yet ported, and they just bake in the “compatibility” work behind the scenes before release. Otherwise the outstanding plugins list will be slog to work down, or even worst case grow at certain times.

But I can’t imagine the fiscal incentive to have these QC compatible at release will be ignored once capable. You’ll have QC users as “excited” as normal plug-in users, knowing they are one click (purchase) away from new content.

But personally, I'd rather see all the amps where amps go, all the distortions where distortions go, all the reverbs where reverbs go, etc. (Call me crazy...)

Not crazy. It’s the only way that makes sense.

After you go out and buy all 20+ plugins :ROFLMAO: you aren’t going to want to have 20+ sub menus for each plugs content, which will then have its own sub-tree of amp/cab/delay/reverb selections. You’ll want to hit download once and then have those blocks available in the standard amp/cab/effects block selections.

CME claims 3ms latency so maybe. I don't own an expression pedal atm so can't test.

3ms should be fine for a wahwah…

This is an important question. The CME stuff is really low-latency (compared with most generic Bluetooth devices.) It still comes down to personal sensitivity, though.

The Paint Audio MIDI controllers are bundled with a wireless MIDI receiver that's even lower latency than the CME tx/rx. I have the MIDI Captain: 10 switches with 2 expression pedal inputs. They're coming out with some smaller controllers (one and two-switch variations) you could consider integrating into your rig. (Scratch that - it doesn't look like the MIDI Captain UNO or DUO have expression pedal inputs. Shame, the DUO looks really cool otherwise. :()

As for a smaller board for the QC and one or two additional pedals, Gator makes some stuff that fits perfectly. Here's my board with an expression pedal, wireless audio and MIDI, and battery power underneath:

pCbwjYb.jpg

lqllwYh.jpg
Thnx I’m gonna check those…deep enough for QC + Plugs sticking out of the back? (#thatswheretroublestartsifnot)…do they ship m with softcase?
Probably gonna check Rockboard first…cause I got a “MOD” handling power / patchbay.

Thnx I’m gonna check those…deep enough for QC + Plugs sticking out of the back? (#thatswheretroublestartsifnot)…do they ship m with softcase?
Probably gonna check Rockboard first…cause I got a “MOD” handling power / patchbay.
Yes, the Gator ships with a nicely padded softcase, and the whole deal is only about $100 if you shop around.

The dongle sticking out the back is definitely a pain point as a permanent fixture on a live rig. I would use a short right angle MIDI connector and mount the dongle under the board - far left or far right to be sure the QC or the pedalboard itself isn't shielding and preventing communication.

Yes, the Gator ships with a nicely padded softcase, and the whole deal is only about $100 if you shop around.

The dongle sticking out the back is definitely a pain point as a permanent fixture on a live rig. I would use a short right angle MIDI connector and mount the dongle under the board - far left or far right to be sure the QC or the pedalboard itself isn't shielding and preventing communication.
Eyeballing this one …just enough space at the back for plugs…and takes the mod i already own.
They also have hardcases for it….my “maybe Stevie wonder calls me for a gig” wants to buy it….guess I’ll stick to the softcase.

Thinking through pedalboard….

Either one of these as long as QC does not allow virtual exp pedals driven by midi CC.
Top version has the downside that wet/dry is controlled by iloop (mooer = hardware wah), but allows remote controlling stuff from wireless switches on guitar.
Bottom has an expression for wet dry.
In both scenarios 1 loopi is a mastervolume control.
81E6F022-4A0D-4712-84F1-6C646C478EA9.jpeg

As soon as / if, QC allows a 3rd expression pedal I wanna go for this, with on of the options at the side as satellite boards sending midi wireless. (Both options have either luminate M1 or M2)

E9961C2C-17D7-4EFD-9291-234215D15D20.jpeg

Either one of these as long as QC does not allow virtual exp pedals driven by midi CC.
Not exactly clear as to how this question relates to your board layouts, but FWIW, QC does allow virtual expression pedals via MIDI CC. CC#1 = Expression Pedal 1, CC#2 = Expression Pedal 2.

As soon as / if, QC allows a 3rd expression pedal I wanna go for this, with on of the options at the side as satellite boards sending midi wireless.
This on the other hand... I'd be amazed if it ever happened.

Not exactly clear as to how this question relates to your board layouts, but FWIW, QC does allow virtual expression pedals via MIDI CC. CC#1 = Expression Pedal 1, CC#2 = Expression Pedal 2.

This on the other hand... I'd be amazed if it ever happened.
It’s at least a feature requested by not only me ….and in my mind a relatively simple addition….if they build the code architecture smart ;)…which by the looks of it all they did.
Anyway….I discovered the CC1 and CC2…those are directly related to exp1 and 2…so 2 physical exp pedals and 2 virtual/midi ones is not an option atm, no option to directly control parameters with CC either.

Been wanting to get a nice expression pedal for my QC for a while. But then I plugged in the cheap M Audio I have and it works flawlessly. The calibration was dead simple and setup is super straightforward. Ended up ordering a second one so I can fuss around with assigning to different parameters.

Did a first small gig with it, duo with a singer, me playing a nylon string.
Ussually I setup a small mixer with vocals & guitar, and feed that to FoH and monitors (#donttrustsmallvenuesoundpeople ;))..but I had some time during soundcheck try to run the mic through the QC….done in 2 minutes…works like a charm!
One thing less to bring / set up ;)

Back