NDSP (finally) announces plugin support for the Quad Cortex

QC1 is just about Stomp-sized already. :idk

Eh, not trying to take anything from the QC which is very compact... but nowhere near the pedalboard-friendly Stomp.

Screenshot from 2023-11-10 16-37-03.png

A "Dual Cortex" in that form factor would be extremely cool.

Sure, but I think righteous tones are commodotized table stakes these days, and you gotta bring something more. They need to get the mixed bag hardware aspects like wifi, touchscreen, power supply and noise floor sorted for any future hardware SKUs.

And the optimistic side of me believes these things will improve. Pete Thorn currently has a flyrig board centered around the QC he uses
when he's not using 2-3 half stacks. Rabea is having success using the QC...I'm sure there are many others.

This unit will get better...

Eh, not trying to take anything from the QC which is very compact... but nowhere near the pedalboard-friendly Stomp.

View attachment 13541

Sure, I wasn't being literal. But the QC falls somewhere between the HX Stomp and FM3, both of which have 3 switches vs. the QC's 10. I'm pretty happy with that compromise.

I agree a Dual Cortex would be cool. But it would have to come in at about half the price of a Quad Cortex, which is probably not feasible.

Last edited:
The touchscreen being optimized wouldn't pull me back. They'd have to do drastically better on creative reverbs/delays/stutter/synth/etc.

Need waaaaaaay less communication stupidity of the "Oh here's the first plugin! O happy daaaaaayyyyy!!!.....(cough) firmware to use it will come 'in the future'(cough)" variety.

Would also be concerned that they'll continue to paywall the stuff I care about (e.g. all of the creative synth stuff is in Archetype:Rabea for an extra $100 or whatever. Fractal gives it for free and then some)....

View attachment 13541

QC size is similar to the FM3 and both are IMO a bit of a bad fit on a pedalboard with regular pedals, but the QC is a little bit better simply because it is lower height so it seems less bulky.

On the flipside I really don't like that dinky screen and cramped encoders on the HX Stomp.

"Dual Cortex" would be cool for sure. I expect their current dev team is stretched too thin to make that happen though.

QC size is similar to the FM3 and both are IMO a bit of a bad fit on a pedalboard with regular pedals, but the QC is a little bit better simply because it is lower height so it seems less bulky.

Oh, i've owned both, and the QC is way less bulky than the FM3, which is a bit of a tiny tank :LOL: Slightly smaller in width/lenght, but half the height.

The FM3 also has airflow requirements for cooling which makes it not as pedalboard-friendly - f.ex. it cannot sit flush to the floor.

On the flipside I really don't like that dinky screen and cramped encoders on the HX Stomp.

"Dual Cortex" would be cool for sure. I expect their current dev team is stretched too thin to make that happen though.

I have considered (still am actually) the QC along with 1 small Exp/wah/vol pedal ie: Fractal EV-2 mounted on a Temple Audio

board using their fastening system and underneath a Cioks SOL. It could work....sturdy, all-in-one.. :idk :clint

The FM3 also has airflow requirements for cooling which makes it not as pedalboard-friendly - f.ex. it cannot sit flush to the floor.
If it's sitting on its legs it has enough clearance. Overall the Fractal units don't need a whole lot of cooling so it's more of a failsafe.

The touchscreen being optimized wouldn't pull me back. They'd have to do drastically better on creative reverbs/delays/stutter/synth/etc.

Need waaaaaaay less communication stupidity of the "Oh here's the first plugin! O happy daaaaaayyyyy!!!.....(cough) firmware to use it will come 'in the future'(cough)" variety.

Would also be concerned that they'll continue to paywall the stuff I care about (e.g. all of the creative synth stuff is in Archetype:Rabea for an extra $100 or whatever. Fractal gives it for free and then some)....
Or maybe say we are...never..ever..getting ..back.. together...You agree?

Taylor Swift Dancing GIF

The screen is better tho, no bullshit

Or maybe say we are...never..ever..getting ..back.. together...You agree?

Taylor Swift Dancing GIF

The screen is better tho, no bullshit

Don't feel like any of the things I listed are high bars for a normal company to clear, but I never say never. Sold off and rejected FM3 at one time for QC just to come flying back and grab an FM9. Have had all of the others in the interim except for TurdBlaster Bro.....

Back