Quad Cortex plugin support officially goes from "soon" to "eventually"

not to distract from the fact that QC's UI is quite blatantly copied from Helix, calling a plugin version of something that runs on external DSP native is about the most logical thing to do, and has been done for a very long time for all kinds of software. AxeFX Native or Kemper Native wouldn't bat an eyelid. I think its fairly obvious they were always going to have a plugin version of the HW

See also - basically any plugin that used to run on TDM or AAX DSP

To get even more nerdy about it I believe it’s technically a bit of a misnomer to call any plugin “native”; “native” typically refers to software running on the OS, not inside a host application.

096E69A2-2AF4-40B0-81A5-10BF6D38B0B0.jpeg

When it comes to inventions, what is more important in terms of IP protection, is not what you do, which starts as an idea, it's how you do it, which is the invention.
I’m relatively well-versed in both patent and copyright law, but I don’t know why we’re discussing that here. Did someone accuse these companies of anything legally untoward? I’m just talking about credit where it’s due. Kinda like Fender and Marshall and a ton of other stuff.
The Kemper invention is adjusting a number of parameters of an underlying amp model until the error signal is a minimum.
Great invention, actual game-changer.
Now, whether a certain device actually uses AI/ML/NN is something only the developers of said device know.
That’s the thing. I’ve never seen a shred of evidence that Neural is actually incorporating AI and machine learning into their products. Their plug-ins sound good, but they’re incredibly limited, and their flagship device doesn’t seem to be benefiting from any next level coding advantages. Plus, all of my recent experience checking out the AI algorithms that are available to the public have yielded somewhat generic results. So at least at this point, I still think that using this advanced technology takes a lot of serious human customization to come up with something important.

If it’s component modeling, in March 2023 I would say the Fractal approach—obsessive and deep and time-consuming—is still the game to beat.

If it’s profiles, these half-hour ToneX models sound intriguing, whether or not I can hear 30 times the accuracy of a one-minute Kemper profile.

And if it’s music we’re talking about, then of course pretty much any of these great products will do, and amps and pedals are still a fine option too.

I’m relatively well-versed in both patent and copyright law, but I don’t know why we’re discussing that here.
I don't know either - you quoted me from a post where I said that:

As far as I'm aware, whilst they both have the same goal, the route they take to get there is completely different, and I'm pretty sure the Kemper method was pretty heavily patented to prevent IP theft.

I guess I thought you were disagreeing with me, but it seems that you weren't, so all good here! ;)

At the end of the day, it sucks that QC hasn't delivered on their promises from release. There are good tones to be had based on what. I"ve seen and heard players do with it.

At this point I'd assume it will never deliver upon the initial marketing. When and if they add those components ends up being a bonus if you like the unit today. If you don't like the unit, move on there are plenty of other options at various price points.

Staying in SW plugin mode generally negates most, if not all, supply chain issues now and in the future. It minimizes fluctuations in the market and economy much better than an all in one HW unit, at least for the at home player/hobbyist.

not to distract from the fact that QC's UI is quite blatantly copied from Helix, calling a plugin version of something that runs on external DSP native is about the most logical thing to do, and has been done for a very long time for all kinds of software. AxeFX Native or Kemper Native wouldn't bat an eyelid. I think its fairly obvious they were always going to have a plugin version of the HW
Aside from the absolute patent related insanity that happened to me with dynamic convolution, this sort of thing is just silly....And if we were going to really split hairs, IK would be laughing all the way with their amplitube running on the phone in 2008 or whatever.
The idea of a plugin matching (sort of, as its not even completely true in helix) software running on hardware being something patentable is beyond goofballs

My lawyer has advised me to say male-FUPA panis.
In the telecommunications industry we use coaxial connectors. In the beginning (33 years ago) it was simple, there were male connectors and female connectors, you could only mate (connect) male and female connectors together. Then they came out with reverse gender connectors, and now we have a human resource department so we need to be careful what we say, it makes it very difficult to explain these simple things to the younger generation without getting into trouble. It's so confusing o_O

Back