Trying out the NDSP Quad Cortex

homer simpson GIF

Was gonna mention that part, but left it out… :rofl

I bought an HX One to fill out the delays and other effects. Was a sweet pairing and very compact, overall.
I own the Halo pedal…I could “eat” the verbs….but I gotta ask myself if my main buying reason still stands: something simple and small that fits a gigbag and can do it all. Adding pedals means adding a board, 9v power, etc

I’m gonna have a good night sleep over it…but atm I’m leaning towards returning it….go back to my current stuff…and wait til something woth a 100% fit hits the market…or an update…

So far…amps, both modeled as captured, are great. 100% confident that part is gonna work. Hard to compare when it’s not exactly same amp/capture…but I’m leaning towards giving it a slight edge compared to Kemper. QCs seem more direct/in your face/ more depth…for lack of better terms.

Verbs and delays however….Kempers put a smile on your face when you turn them on…QCs a frown. Offcourse you can get them to the level of “usable”. Hard to describe why…seems like when you start to hear the time efx they start to bother you…where with kemper, even when they’re too loud…it still sounds good…just too wet.
For now it seems I either except adding outboard time effects….or send it back and deal with the fact that a toaster doesn’t fit a gigbag ;)

Or…if I’m correct the add plugin functionality…any significantly better time efx in one of those?

Edit:
Someone seems to agree:

Call me crazy but I don’t hate the delays there , I mean it’s not a Strymon but I liked the dual delay with EVH settings a lot , tape sounded decent
Digital with the ducking X sounds like it modelled on the TC2290 which was a great delay

Hell my first trip with the Qc 3 years ago I think there was like 3 delays in the box
The simple delay , ping pong and one other ambience maybe 🤔

The QC delays are totally serviceable but there's definitely some shortcomings. The way modulation is implemented on the stereo types is clumsy, the way cross feedback works in the dual delay is busted and a minimum time of 7ms in most types is an odd limitation. The analog and tape types are also fine but pretty generic sounding. Ducker/Gated parameters are well done, dual reverse is pretty cool and the inclusion of "simple" types is handy if you don't want to get bogged down tweaking.

The Reverb block is worse in this regard, but the Chorus selections are quite excellent. The "Chorus Engine" in particular is very well implemented; essentially a "roll your own" chorus with lots of room to find sounds that the other types don't cover. Having something like this for the other effects blocks would be pretty fun for people who like to deep dive.

The QC delays are totally serviceable but there's definitely some shortcomings. The way modulation is implemented on the stereo types is clumsy, the way cross feedback works in the dual delay is busted and a minimum time of 7ms in most types is an odd limitation. The analog and tape types are also fine but pretty generic sounding. Ducker/Gated parameters are well done, dual reverse is pretty cool and the inclusion of "simple" types is handy if you don't want to get bogged down tweaking.

The Reverb block is worse in this regard, but the Chorus selections are quite excellent. The "Chorus Engine" in particular is very well implemented; essentially a "roll your own" chorus with lots of room to find sounds that the other types don't cover. Having something like this for the other effects blocks would be pretty fun for people who like to deep dive.
Yes listening to the reverbs they are by far to my ears the worst offenders
They are pretty weak overall
And have this tinny sound
There are a few that sound passable like the Hall but they are certainly not up to the competition and could require some work or as you mentioned maybe the plug in versions are much better and ironically people will be buying the plug-in not for the amps but the effects

Yes listening to the reverbs they are by far to my ears the worst offenders
They are pretty weak overall
And have this tinny sound
There are a few that sound passable like the Hall but they are certainly not up to the competition and could require some work or as you mentioned maybe the plug in versions are much better and ironically people will be buying the plug-in not for the amps but the effects
I felt like the reverbs were all variations on the same basic (not terribly good) algorithm. The good old muted string staccato test had the tail in all of them sounding very similar.

After a good night sleep: I’m gonna return it.
I’m in love with the form factor and amp sounds…probably best out there. Knowing myself, I really gonna miss a stereo analog delay with crossfeedback…and I’m gonna carry the gear I can get that with anyway….so my goal of “small size that does all” hasn’t been met.
With my current gear I can get my sound…so smaller formfactor was the only benefit there is to gain.

I could count on an update fixing it…but the competition isn’t standing still also..who’s to say which one is the first to drop a unit with a 100% match for me.
I’m gonna give the KPA Player another thought. In its current state that also needs outboard delay/verb…but it’s half the size and 1/3 of the price..so a small board is maybe the route to take.

Last edited:
I felt like the reverbs were all variations on the same basic (not terribly good) algorithm. The good old muted string staccato test had the tail in all of them sounding very similar.
That’s what I am hearing as well and most even cranked
Other than your hall really don’t have that big natural
Decay , I am also not a huge verb person never use it live but they really could stand to improve the current offerings especially if the ones in the plug-ins are good
If you are a big verb guy coming from the competition I could see this being a disappointment for you
Although some guys I have seen online complaining about the Helix dyamnic verbs having so metallic qualities they could not dial .
I think for all in one units Fractal and Kemper still lead the pack here

After a good night sleep: I’m gonna return it.
I’m in love with the form factor and amp sounds…probably best out there. Knowing myself, I really gonna miss a stereo analog delay with crossfeedback…and I’m gonna carry the gear I can get that with anyway….so my goal of “small size that does all” hasn’t been met.
With my current gear I can get my sound…so smaller formfactor was the only benefit there is to gain.

I could count on an update fixing it…but the competition isn’t standing still also..who’s to say which one is the first to drop a unit with a 100% match for me.
I’m gonna give the KPA Player another thought. In its current state that also needs outboard delay/verb…but it’s half the size and 1/3 of the price..so a small board is maybe the route to take.

May be worth QC plus Halo? For gigging I think you would want a more robust power supply anyways so maybe mounting the QC on a small/light board with the Cioks?

I would agree though the QC is missing character delays and complex reverbs. They should expand the current delays to include things like stereo time percentage (scale in Helix terms), improved cross feed, etc. also would be nice to have out of the box character effects like memory man, DM2, Halo, Space echo, etc.

I like Leon’s idea of a delay engine where you can build your own delay too.

But if it doesn’t meet your needs now definitely not worth holding your breath to wait for improvements. Likely won’t come any time soon.

I personally don’t get along with profiling. I have like $1000 worth of Kemper profiles and had the Kemper three times and it just didn’t work for me. I much prefer modeling.

May be worth QC plus Halo? For gigging I think you would want a more robust power supply anyways so maybe mounting the QC on a small/light board with the Cioks?
It just gets to the point where you are adding money to something that should be able to be an all in one.

So Halo plus Cioks you are $500 in, throw a board in there, it just adds up. Compare to HX Floor or FM9 and you can just buy that, no board, no external PS, no additional pedals.

This is what sucks. I wish plugin integration was done by now because the QC could use some love in much more needed areas

A friend got a QC and brought it over so I finally got to try one out. As expected, it sounds really good. Touchscreen is a little unresponsive at times but is pretty nice in general. Rotary encoders on the switches is cool. UI is pretty intuitive for the most part though I had some trouble finding some settings (swipe down apparently?). The form factor is pretty sweet though the switch spacing might be a little tight.

I kinda dig it.

Anyone got tips for setting up/recording an electro acoustic guitar? Do I use any specific amp or amp type? Aiming to sound as natural as possible.
I’m not sure what they have in the QC but in the Helix they do have a studio preamp block that I like to use; I imagine a capture of something might be available online for that? As others have mentioned compression and EQ plus I would also look into an acoustic IR. I like to setup a dual path with one using the IR and then blend the 2 to taste in my Helix or in my DAW.

I would agree though the QC is missing character delays and complex reverbs. They should expand the current delays to include things like stereo time percentage (scale in Helix terms), improved cross feed, etc. also would be nice to have out of the box character effects like memory man, DM2, Halo, Space echo, etc.

I like Leon’s idea of a delay engine where you can build your own delay too.

But if it doesn’t meet your needs now definitely not worth holding your breath to wait for improvements. Likely won’t come any time soon.

I personally don’t get along with profiling. I have like $1000 worth of Kemper profiles and had the Kemper three times and it just didn’t work for me. I much prefer modeling.
I think that’s one reason why maybe they are not rushing to add new delays etc because they have a bunch of better ones in the Plug in and figure people will be able to buy those and port them
So there hoping to kill 2 birds w one stone increase plug in sales and add content
The question is to the guys using Petrucci or Plini
How much better are the reverbs and delays is it might and day and close to a helix

I'm really curious what this rumored new product is
I am positive it will be a QC stomp thing ,and as mentioned I like the sounds and would be willing to buy a small grab and go QC if the price is right like $1099 and under It would probably move the needle just for the GUI fun factor and portability

Last edited:
I think that’s one reason why maybe they are not rushing to add new delays etc because they have a bunch of better ones in the Plug in and figure people will be able to buy those and port them
So there hoping to kill 2 birds w one stone increase plug in sales and add content
The question is to the guys using Petrucci or Plini
How much better are the reverbs and delays is it might and day and close to a helix
Do you know of any sources where I can check if there’s delays in there that are a match for me? (Dual tape with crossfeedback)

Do you know of any sources where I can check if there’s delays in there that are a match for me? (Dual tape with crossfeedback)
I honestly don’t use their plug ins but all of them have a 14 day trial you can check out
You could try the Plini Petrucci , and Rabea those guys will probably have the bigger selection of delays verbs

Back