New Mesa Mark amp coming?

It's an achilles heel for a lot of 3-4 channel amps out there. The more "modern" sounding they are, the more likely they sound stiff and generic for those edge of breakup tones.

True. I’ve always thought the same qualities that make an amp sound great for modern high gain are the same qualities that make them sound terrible for those edge of breakup tones.

The two seem incompatible with each other in the same amp

True. I’ve always thought the same qualities that make an amp sound great for modern high gain are the same qualities that make them sound terrible for those edge of breakup tones.

The two seem incompatible with each other in the same amp
Yeah I've had much better luck trying to turn a somewhat more vintage voiced amp into a fire breathing metal beast than doing the opposite.

Yeah I've had much better luck trying to turn a somewhat more vintage voiced amp into a fire breathing metal beast than doing the opposite.
Badlander easily does edge of break-up and high gain, or totally clean. Or AC/DC crunch. It's actually a shame it's not three identical channels, tbh.

Marshall prices in the US are absurd.

Absolutely crazy, there was a good 20 years where no on gave a sh*t about Marshalls anymore. It was like they put out the JCM900 and everyone went “Well….let’s check out this Dual Recto and the 5150….” and you could find JCM800’s all day for $400-$500. Then the 5150 followed suit, almost exactly like that where you could find them for $400-$500 all day long and despite having more variants than any other amp on the market, the prices of the OG’s still shot up to stupid numbers and seems to be chilling there.

I think the cheapest I’ve ever seen a Dual Rec was like $900 back in the late 90’s. Mesa’s tend to hold their value or just shoot up to absurd prices (like the IIC+, which I believe was intentionally done on another forum once enough members owned them).

Me too. It’s not as good as a modern high gain amp, but if the volume level is low enough not to clip the power section I’ve had more luck covering metal with pedals in front of a vintage voiced amp than trying to coax something like Brad Paisley tones out of a Mark series

Speaking of which, identical or near identical multichannel amps are something I absolutely love. Want them to be two high gain channels? Well you can. Two edge of breakup variants? Well you can.

Me too (again, haha). I find them much more useful than multi-channel amps designed for “clean” and “lead”.

I loved my Orange AD30HTC for this!

Here's what I think, Gibson needs to reissue the IIC+ or IV, no bullshit and no inflating celeb names attached to it, just a clean reissue like the Marhsall Jubilee.

I’m curious what players see in the IV that they don’t get from the V.

I always thought the IV was a kind of dull/blah sounding amp and for me the V seemed to fix a lot of its problems.

As far as I know Mesa’s still not available in Europe (haven’t been for 2 years) due to the «new» environment regulations for electric equippment in Europe.
I know Laney first said that they didn’t want take the cost to meet this, but it seems that they did, as I see Laney now ia avaiable.

Last edited:

The key here is a closed back cab imo

I had a bad time trying to make open back combos turn into metal monsters with pedals without an extension. At band volumes at least

Speaking of which, identical or near identical multichannel amps are something I absolutely love. Want them to be two high gain channels? Well you can. Two edge of breakup variants? Well you can.
Exactly. If I get in a mood, I’ll run one channel spanky, and then the other channel with the “clean” mode on, but the gain nearly all the way up. It’s kickass, especially with a Tele with hot pickups.

Back