Help Me Pick a New Amp...Please :)

Have a ton of amps, but I need another. I'm even considering a bass amp.

Been considering a Fireball but I have a Savage. The new SE Founders Edition looks nice but I don't generally buy them new.

I have a JP2C so I'm thinking pass on the Mark VII?

Badlander...I have been on the fence for a while. I have SO many Mesa amps surely this would overlap some. After reading @JiveTurkey 's experience recording with it I am further put off.

One amp I have planned to buy is a Divided By 13 FTR 37. The prices lately are too high...

I have been keeping an eye out for a Ampeg SVT with no luck. Someone mentioned maybe a V4?

Ages ago I had a Framus Cobra and liked it but it was very modern and couldn't quite do thrash so I sold it. I miss it.

I believe I have Marshalls covered but I would consider an old SLP. Any years/models that really stand out? I know the obvious 68, 69 or 72, but really, is there that much difference?

That leads me to the Suhr 68 v2...interested, but then the New Friedman Vintage? I have the JEL100, is the Vintage the same as the Plexi on the JEL?

A Roland JC-120 would be cool. I need to shop this one.

Help!
I’m putting your money on the FTR 37🤘🏻
Buddy, Dollar General’s expensive!!
Pennies are too expensive for them to make
and a hundred of them ain’t the same..
Especially after my recent Dollar General shopping experience.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Splawn? Wizard?
Or on the other end Mercury V?
Had a Quick Rod and it was stiff. Had some oscillation too. Sounded great though.

Have a Wizard and it's great.

Looking into the Carr Mercury, promising!

i remember watching a video with paul mccartneys band and they were using /13's and sounding amazing, was never really sure why we never saw more of them, i think i just read they went out of business?

My JTM 50 is built around a Ceriatone board and chasis.

Damn thing needs a master volume.

I would consider one. Came close to buying a Yeti a few times.
Their amps are great. They do an Adam Jones-spec Plexi. Or the "all-access" Plexi one could work.

Oooor ..a Hiwatt Super-Hi 50

Oooor ..a Hiwatt Super-Hi 50
When I bought the Meshuggah the choice was that or the Super Hi 50.

Played the Super Hi at NAMM. Was nice and would definitely buy for the right price.

Last edited:
Not really sure what you have but:

- Krank. Still killer sounding, especially the earlier Revolutions (with a choke)
- Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra 120. Penta could be fun
- Bogner Uber Ultra
- Friedman Naked
- Gower Killer Kali or Rockmonster
- Ground Zero MOAB/Hellion
- MGL HG
- Kerry King JCM800
- Laney VH100R
- VHT Pitbull UL
- Headfirst Alta
- ADA MP-1
- Langner modded Marshall (see if Fortin or Monomyth can do something in that style?)
- Morin modded Marshall
- Rivera Knucklehead K Tre
- Peavey VTM 120

Not really sure what you have but:

- Krank. Still killer sounding, especially the earlier Revolutions (with a choke)
- Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra 120. Penta could be fun
- Bogner Uber Ultra
- Friedman Naked
- Gower Killer Kali or Rockmonster
- Ground Zero MOAB/Hellion
- MGL HG
- Kerry King JCM800
- Laney VH100R
- VHT Pitbull UL
- Headfirst Alta
- ADA MP-1
- Langner modded Marshall (see if Fortin or Monomyth can do something in that style?)
- Morin modded Marshall
- Rivera Knucklehead K Tre
- Peavey VTM 120
Have you played both newer and older Kranks? If so, what were the sonic differences? I have a Rev1+, not sure of the year.

Interested in the JSX.

Would like to try some of the modded Marshall types you mention. I hesitant to jump in without knowing what I'm getting.

The K Tre would be interesting.

Have you played both newer and older Kranks? If so, what were the sonic differences? I have a Rev1+, not sure of the year.
I haven’t. I’ve owned 2 different Revolutions that were both early ones.

I know over time they cut more and more costs. The ones with Revolution (rather than Rev) written on the front are the original ones that have a choke and schumacher transformers. The choke got changed to a resistor when they changed to Rev1, and then I believe the + changed some other things too. The really early ones have different transformers that are apparently even better sounding.

There’s a combo version of that early circuit for sale here, back panel and transformers look different:

IMG_6496.jpeg

Think the list is already endless. Therefore another one to add: Fryette Deliverance :grin

The Framus Dragon/Cobra is basically a Fender-like clean channel, a gain-attenuated SLO/Recto lead as "crunch", and an SLO/Recto lead as third channel.
The tone stacks however are quite unusual, AFAIR it was a Baxandall for bass and treble (of course), and an adjustable band-stop filter to achieve a similar mid dip of the mid control in Fender or Marshall type tone stacks.
Also the FX Loop was different, and the NFB loop was a bit different. Depth was not placed in the NFB loop, but was a passive filter around the master volume.
Guess all those rather unusual EQ curve sculpting things make those amps kinda unique. I find them very bass heavy, and their distortion character... well...it's the sound everybody knows.

I haven’t. I’ve owned 2 different Revolutions that were both early ones.

I know over time they cut more and more costs. The ones with Revolution (rather than Rev) written on the front are the original ones that have a choke and schumacher transformers. The choke got changed to a resistor when they changed to Rev1, and then I believe the + changed some other things too. The really early ones have different transformers that are apparently even better sounding.

There’s a combo version of that early circuit for sale here, back panel and transformers look different:

View attachment 19315
Bet that is HEAVY!

Back