Lets talk about Mesa 2x12s (and more)

More?
Always.

Attachments

• IMG_4354.jpeg
    IMG_4354.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
I don't have much of anything great to add. I've owned 3 different 2x12s and went back to 4x12.

If I were to try one mentioned it would be the vertical diagonal just because it seems cool. Never tried any of those.

One thing I can say to add and why i would absolutely choose a vert 2x12 is because stacking a regular 2x12 on top of a 4x12 or on a stand is nothing less than piercing from my experience and there was zero resonance. Put it on the floor and it is amazing.
“The sound of maggot movement”
Is one nifty way to describe the artifacts that cascade over following your ears being pierced by speaker cones at ear levels.
Those bastards are real..THEY LIVE.
LTFOL dudes!!-I hope you’re all having a nice evening however your doing it-CHEERS🤘🏻

I have/had many Mesa cabs. Horizontal 2x12 is awesome. Verticle 2x12 is ok but not the same.

Have a straight 1x12 and had a slant 1x12. A bit boxy and just ok. Better than open back.

Oversized is bassy and the standard is balanced.

Overall, I prefer the Horizontal 2x12. It's not easy to move though.

More?
Always!

Zilla 4X12 with Heritage 20watter Greenbscks wired to 16ohm.

This is midrange the sonic size of the Manhattan skyline in the afternoon.
I just played this for over an hour straight.
I had a BLAST!
Good shit!
Too blessed to be stressed, ya hear?
- I gotta remember that!!
This is such a rad rig.

I truely feel fortunate to own it.
I used to have herds & herds of gear..
- it’s impossible to enjoy all of it &
use it to it’s potentials-who has all that time??

Attachments

• IMG_4359.jpeg
    IMG_4359.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
2x12 vert vs. 2x12 horizontal: to me, it's kinda what you'd expect from a smaller cabinet. It's less bassy, which IMO is good. More focused, more directional because it doesn't have the slant dispersion. That's my "I played both for an hour, with the same head" evaluation.

2x12 vert vs. 2x12 horizontal: to me, it's kinda what you'd expect from a smaller cabinet. It's less bassy, which IMO is good. More focused, more directional because it doesn't have the slant dispersion. That's my "I played both for an hour, with the same head" evaluation.

I'm back on my bulisht browsing cabinets again... is the vertical smaller? Have you tried a vertical vs. diagonal at all?

I'm back on my bulisht browsing cabinets again... is the vertical smaller? Have you tried a vertical vs. diagonal at all?
The vertical is bigger than all other 2x12’s, I believe. Diagonal sounds very good, but a little less bass response. Not at all boxy, however.
Tbh, unless your head doesn’t fit on a vert or diagonal, I’m not sure why anyone would buy a horizontal. Stacking them; I guess.

I'm GASing for a Mesa Horizontal 2x12 or Oversized 4x12 at this time. I recently put my V30 in my Jet City Vertical 2x12 and finally enjoyed listening to the speaker.

However, I am thinking I will go for the best and not second guess what could be achieved tonewise. Those new prices though.

My $.02…. You need to compare two specific 1x12s to one specific 2x12 all using the same speakers. There are quite a few variables involved in cabinets that change the sound considerably, so much so that generalities are not going to be very reliable or helpful.

That said, I’ll give you some generalizations anyway…. I’m more likely to like the sound and feel of a cab onstage the bigger it is. The smaller it is, the less likely I’ll dig it. There are exceptions to both though which is why you need to try it and compare things directly. Smaller boxes usually sound smaller IME, YMMV.

Also need to consider what you’re using it for and what matters most to you. If it’s mainly for sound/feel and I don’t care about logistics, I’m going with a big cab. If I’ve got to carry stuff around much and ease of use is the thing that matters most, I want the smallest, lightest thing I can get away with. My preferences for larger cabs go out the window if I’ve got to carry much stuff around or I have limited help.

Is this just for stage monitoring and feel, with FOH taking care of virtually everything the audience will hear? If so, you can get away with a lot. If you actually need the audience to hear your cabs, that changes things a lot with regard to cab choices. My oversized Mesa 412 was glorious if you were standing in its path, get 1* out of its path though and you weren’t gonna hear the guitar at all. If I need it to be widely dispersed I’d be looking for multiple smaller cabs and maybe even open or semi open backed ones. I don’t see many gigs like that anymore, but if you have one it is something to be aware of.

D

Back