New Mesa Mark amp coming?

No worries.

It’s anecdotal, but out of $2000+ amps over the last 8 years, I’ve seen more Friedman in for repairs than any other brand.

They sound killer, but they just don’t instill confidence for such an expensive amp in my opinion.

Meanwhile, you can legit buy two JCM800s for the price of one Friedman BE-100. Sure you
won't get all them toggles and other shit that will eventually go wrong on them. :LOL:

I've always liked the idea of a Mesa amp, but I've never been floored by one.

In the 90's the Dual Rectifiers were super popular, but they usually sounded way too scooped, too much bass and brittle high end. I did like a Tremoverb I played a few times but didn't have the cash for it. Also kind of dug the Nomad series.

Played around with a couple Mark series amps that I came across, but at low volumes and not knowing how to dial them in, couldn't get them to sound good at all.

A couple years ago someone offered me a Mark V:25 as a trade for a Kemper that I seriously considered, but ultimately sold it to fund my Ibanez AZ.

Those little Badlander 25 combos look like they'd be pretty fun though...

It's insane to me how Recs got pigeon-holed offering up one of the worst tones they are capable of.

They are CRAZY versatile..... but most of us hear one sound in our head when we think of them.

It's insane to me how Recs got pigeon-holed offering up one of the worst tones they are capable of.

They are CRAZY versatile..... but most of us hear one sound in our head when we think of them.

I didn't know about boosts at the time, I'm just talking about playing them in the store. I think a boost probably helps there.

Meanwhile, you can legit buy two JCM800s for the price of one Friedman BE-100. Sure you
won't get all them toggles and other s**t that will eventually go wrong on them. :LOL:
Because options are bad. For me, toggle switches usually sit where I set them once tweaked. But still, a hardware toggle switch it not a failure prone addition. Seems to me like variable pots would be. I don’t hear anyone begging for less tone, presence, gain or other such controls. I don’t know where you can get two JCM-800’s for the price of a BE. Maybe in England. In the US, Marshall prices are much higher. I imagine Friedman prices are higher across the pond from US too.

Because options are bad. For me, toggle switches usually sit where I set them once tweaked. But still, a hardware toggle switch it not a failure prone addition. Seems to me like variable pots would be. I don’t hear anyone begging for less tone, presence, gain or other such controls. I don’t know where you can get two JCM-800’s for the price of a BE. Maybe in England. In the US, Marshall prices are much higher. I imagine Friedman prices are higher across the pond from US too.
Everything is EXPENSIVE everywhere. Ugh.

There was a time when I could have bought a trip to New York, bought a JP2C there, flewn back and gotten a stepdown transformer to use it for less money than buying the amp in Europe. It wasn't until Mesa changed distributors that their prices have become less than highway robbery.

Every Mesa Mark model seems to be "on request" at Thomann which is rare so maybe that Mark VI is actually happening.

1) a good edge-of-breakup crunchy clean sound, though you can get it close by diming the treble, mid and gain knobs on the clean channel.

That’s always been the Achilles heel of the Mark series IMO. Even when you tweak hard to sort of get it, there are tons of other amps that do it 1000x better

Agreed. When I first got a Rec I was so excited because it instantly sounded the way I’d always wished my Mark IV would sound. I found the 3 channel dual Rec to be a super versatile amp. I used one live to cover everything from Dream Theater to George Strait

I’ve always been disappointed that no modeler gives us anything except the high gain Rec tones. (Except AmpliTube… sort of).

Back