New Mesa Mark amp coming?

Bud, I was explaining the process for creating my own IRs to coworkers yesterday and they had to stop me halfway because they had no idea what I was talking about, and I tried so hard to keep it jargon-free :D
I let a guitar playing friend, who has never heard of IRs, modeling, etc., listen to an A/B comparison of a rig vs. capture the other night. I also explained the modeling (component) and capture process.

After showing him that I could also have all of it “in the box,” his mind was blown.

The only thing I can concede that Gibson has "fucked up" is the fact that this whole buyout was supposed to be an improvement of distribution. Gibson replaced Mesa's overseas distro with their own, and that has actually ended up being a massive step backwards for non-US customers (ie 0 mesa availability at all)

It seems to me like the most plausible explanation of the lack of features relative to previous Marks is a lack of reliably sourcable components. As has been said, for the last 45 years, every Mark but this one has increased in complexity and features, bells, whistles, gizmos, etc.

It' sprobably not a coincidence that the Mark that was developed and released during a global supply chain crisis happens to be the first Mark with fewer parts and unique components than its predecessor.

My personal subjective opinion is that a lot of the things being called “downgrades” are subjective…

Definitely at least the mode changes. I’m actually in favor of that

Tube rectifier and voicing switch? Well the recto option on the V was cool, but that’s definitely never been a mark thing and it makes sense to me to start with that to make room for the cab clone stuff etc. I didn’t find the voicing switches to have that dramatic of an effect and since I haven’t tried the VII I can’t speak to whether it “needs” those or not.

I’ve never cared for the preset GEQ knobs. I only found them useful on the V for if you weee trying to make that awful Mk 1 mode useable lol

Aside from maybe variac and global master.

Even on the master, I’ve had 4 mesas that had that, and one that didn’t. I don’t think the output knob is as linear as some make it out to be being able to set masters once and forget it. I felt that the express 5:50+ was easier to dial in volumes at gigs without it :idk

I guess I don’t totally get what people who think this is a backwards step wanted out of the VII. The exact same thing as V with a 4th channel and cab clone? Meh

My opinion is irrelevant, I dknt see a VII in any foreseeable future, but I think it looks sweet. I hope I can try one out soon

My theory is it’s probably Randall’s last hoorah and he wanted to make the best mark possible but that’s kind of a boring theory

I'm with you. I'd imagine once Randall internalized that there would be fewer reliable parts available to source, he probably decided to pivot to a "purer signal path" sort of design and did the best he could operating under that philosophy. Or, he just decided to streamline this Mark from the outset. :D

Either way, I don't agree with people saying the slimmed down feature set is due to Gibson's bean-counting overlording. This amp has been in development since long before the buyout.

I'm with you. I'd imagine once Randall internalized that there would be fewer reliable parts available to source, he probably decided to pivot to a "purer signal path" sort of design and did the best he could operating under that philosophy. Or, he just decided to streamline this Mark from the outset. :D

Either way, I don't agree with people saying the slimmed down feature set is due to Gibson's bean-counting overlording. This amp has been in development since long before the buyout.
Anyone who thinks this is a Gibson thing is an idiot. Amps don't get developed that fast.

Hey @paisleywookiee any insider info on why the Triple Crown is no longer on Boogie's site? Discontinued? Sign of another new model coming out soon?
Not discontinued. Just taken down from active products due to parts shortages. You’ll notice all their pedals and signal routing stuff are archived as well, for now. They’ll all be back.

To me, it looks like some of the features removed (versus the Mark V) was to fit everything into the smaller size head/cabinet - that seems to have been a design priority.

Speaking of the JP2C: can you get those 'airy' sounds like on the original amp, or is it tweaked to be maximum saturation all the time?
Because my favourite Petrucci tones (and Mesa) is the late 90's era / LTE one and two. Before he went crazy with the gain. I think he was using the Triaxis around that time a lot? :p

Speaking of the JP2C: can you get those 'airy' sounds like on the original amp, or is it tweaked to be maximum saturation all the time?
Because my favourite Petrucci tones (and Mesa) is the late 90's era / LTE one and two. Before he went crazy with the gain. I think he was using the Triaxis around that time a lot? :p

There are push pull gain and presence pots.

You can get all those sounds. The saturation is controlled by the gain knob, treble knob, and then there’s an onboard overdrive you can switch on called shred. Think of it as having two variants of the IIC+ sound on it in channels 2 and 3.

Bud, I was explaining the process for creating my own IRs to coworkers yesterday and they had to stop me halfway because they had no idea what I was talking about, and I tried so hard to keep it jargon-free :D

I was trying to explain to my GF what I was doing on the computer when I was on guitar forums so I showed her one post about IRs. After I read it to her she just looked at me and said "Wow! I have no idea what you're talking about."

I am leaning into the conspiracy hemisphere of my brain on this one. :LOL:

Maybe so. Maybe not. Just seems entirely evident that a LOT was trimmed
from the MKVII. The progression from MKI to MKV was the addition of
features each and every step of the way. This is the first amp in that series
that has been sold as an improvement, when all that was added was MIDI
(but that doesn't include the Modes) and an improved Two Notes Cab
Simulation/IR.

f**k man, even some of the Modes are shared on Channel 1 and 2, and that
was never done on a previous iteration of the MK series. Cutting corners is
very obvious to me. Which in a business sense is often about cutting costs/
increasing profitability.

A lot of people (myself included) thought that the features on the V were over bloated. They needed to edit, and I think they pretty much nailed it here for a feature set.

The cloned modes on channel 1 and 2 are brilliant IMO. Makes the amp far more versatile. That’s probably the thing that makes me most interested in this amp. It could legitimately cover just about any gig because of this.

I think it’s one of the best they’ve ever made just from looking at the features of it lives up to its promise. I think it’s the furthest thing from a Gibson buyout disaster…

D

Back