New Mesa Mark amp coming?

Tonewars going hard :rofl

OK, I confess: I went back and watched it all. Had some more laughs - he's a funny guy. But oh... my... God the the verbosity! Is this really what those server farms in the desert are drinking electricity for? For guys to stare into web cams and complain about other guys staring into other web cams elsewhere? All in glorious HD. o_O

He doesn't really get into anything properly amp related until around 9 minutes in, when he mentions the MkV:90's gain structure vs. the :25, etc. And that whole thing about absolutely no one ever having complained that MkIV had too much gain LOL. (Which is funny on a couple of levels, not least of which: Isn't this precisely what Randall Smith allegedly thought of the original MkIIc+ mod? :D)

MarkVI is not JP2C. There was a prototype MKVI that never went into production. It was probably
better than the MKVII, but Gibson's bean counters killed it, so the world gets stuck with the MKVII. :whistle
This would make me sad, but for the fact that I can't afford either of them. ;)

I actually like his videos better than a lot of the more 'produced' geartubers, he is authentic and shares his unscripted opinion about the gear, I appreciate that a hell of a lot more than your average smiling overproduced promotion geartuber.
He's a little long winded. But I agree. His need to boost everything into absolute infinity is not always my bag either but I like his sense of humor and general no nonsense attitude.

OK, I confess: I went back and watched it all. Had some more laughs - he's a funny guy. But oh... my... God the the verbosity! Is this really what those server farms in the desert are drinking electricity for? For guys to stare into web cams and complain about other guys staring into other web cams elsewhere? All in glorious HD. o_O
They are also there so guys can bitch on forums about guys staring into webcams in glorious HD complaining about other guys staring into other webcams elsewhere.

Getting the thread back on track - here’s my thoughts on this all in one spot, speaking specifically about my use case for amps:

1. I’m overall really happy they’re releasing a new amp, and it is obviously a great one. Mark amps are special and should be celebrated.
2. I think there are a few missed opportunities with this amplifier, namely no onboard overdrive like the Shred mode on the JP2C, and do we really want a spring reverb in a short head in today’s digital reverb-rich environment?
3. I am concerned VII mode is more vintage voiced than modern voiced, and therefore it would not benefit my use as much. For others I’m sure it’s great. Since they have no metal guys testing the amp appropriately, I have no idea what this mode really sounds like how I would use it.
4. MIDI implementation. I love the fact it has redundant modes on channels 1 and 2 IF the MIDI is only switching channels, which of course it is. Mesa’s implementation of MIDI leaves a lot to be desired and should have been able to switch modes on any channel via MIDI and even save dial settings. If Strymon and Source Audito can do this with $200-$300 pedals, Mesa should be able to do this with a $3500 amplifier.
5. Where’s the black / wine Taurus tolex? No more? That was a nice touch with most Mesa amps.
6. People need to get over the original CabClone. The new CabClone IR in these amps is developed by Two Notes, I can see the Two Notes board clearly inside my Badlander, and the reactive load in these amps is really really good, even if it has no software and is a simple drag and drop in Windows to load IRs.
7. There should have been a larger drop to more metal YouTubers pre-launch. I agree with the Tone Wars guy on almost everything he said, and some of the players in the videos are fucking terrible. The vibrato on one guy made me switch off pretty fast. I’m looking forward to Ola’s video, and guys like Leon Todd or Stay Metal Ray, both guys that absolutely kill on Mesa amps in a large majority of their videos, should have had a crack at this thing pre-launch. Missed opportunity.

Overall amazing looking amp, I’m sure it can sound great, but at that price point I can’t see it being really popular. Some guys will buy it, but the street price of used 7s will need to come down closer to $2500 before it will be widely used.

My gut tells me that the VII mode will be good for heavy, and I think it was a smart move putting a heavier mode on channel 2 and having IIB on channel 3

According to the manual Mark VII mode is a high gain channel that sits between Mark IV and Badlander/TC (it refers to it as an american/british blend)

My gut tells me that the VII mode will be good for heavy, and I think it was a smart move putting a heavier mode on channel 2 and having IIB on channel 3

According to the manual Mark VII mode is a high gain channel that sits between Mark IV and Badlander/TC (it refers to it as an american/british blend)
I agree with you 100% if that’s the case, I’d just like to hear it in a metal context and be able to judge it myself. Lead 1 Red on the Triaxis was supposed to be a “full bore recto” according to their advertisement campaign for it, and 3 Triaxis’ later for me, all different variants, and I have yet to find a Lead 1 Red that sounded anything like a Recto.

Getting the thread back on track - here’s my thoughts on this all in one spot, speaking specifically about my use case for amps:

1. I’m overall really happy they’re releasing a new amp, and it is obviously a great one. Mark amps are special and should be celebrated.
2. I think there are a few missed opportunities with this amplifier, namely no onboard overdrive like the Shred mode on the JP2C, and do we really want a spring reverb in a short head in today’s digital reverb-rich environment?
3. I am concerned VII mode is more vintage voiced than modern voiced, and therefore it would not benefit my use as much. For others I’m sure it’s great. Since they have no metal guys testing the amp appropriately, I have no idea what this mode really sounds like how I would use it.
4. MIDI implementation. I love the fact it has redundant modes on channels 1 and 2 IF the MIDI is only switching channels, which of course it is. Mesa’s implementation of MIDI leaves a lot to be desired and should have been able to switch modes on any channel via MIDI and even save dial settings. If Strymon and Source Audito can do this with $200-$300 pedals, Mesa should be able to do this with a $3500 amplifier.
5. Where’s the black / wine Taurus tolex? No more? That was a nice touch with most Mesa amps.
6. People need to get over the original CabClone. The new CabClone IR in these amps is developed by Two Notes, I can see the Two Notes board clearly inside my Badlander, and the reactive load in these amps is really really good, even if it has no software and is a simple drag and drop in Windows to load IRs.
7. There should have been a larger drop to more metal YouTubers pre-launch. I agree with the Tone Wars guy on almost everything he said, and some of the players in the videos are f*****g terrible. The vibrato on one guy made me switch off pretty fast. I’m looking forward to Ola’s video, and guys like Leon Todd or Stay Metal Ray, both guys that absolutely kill on Mesa amps in a large majority of their videos, should have had a crack at this thing pre-launch. Missed opportunity.

Overall amazing looking amp, I’m sure it can sound great, but at that price point I can’t see it being really popular. Some guys will buy it, but the street price of used 7s will need to come down closer to $2500 before it will be widely used.

I’m agree with much of this.

Obviously not being able to midi switch modes sucks, but I think barring that they made some pretty wise decisions on which modes they put on each channel. If you’re a high gain guy then having the VII mode on channel two, frees up channel three for the IIC+ or IV mode. If they put VII on channel three with IIC and IV then the lack of midi modes would have been pretty crippling. As I see it they’ve made it where clean to mid gain guys basically can go Clean/Fat - Fat/Crunch - IIB/IIC and high gain guys will just go Clean/Crunch - VII- IIC/IV.

I don’t know if a lack OD effects it much though. We all own a million OD’s and our preferences borders on religion. Though I do agree the average dude would much rather have midi modes, and an OD over onboard reverb, but for $3,500 insert “why not both” meme.

I agree $2,500 would have been a pretty compelling price. I probably would have bit for that, but amp prices are just eye watering these days.

Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance but for those who have had experience with both, how would you describe the difference between the Mark V and the JP2C?

Please excuse my ignorance but for those who have had experience with both, how would you describe the difference between the Mark V and the JP2C?
JP2C is streamlined for heavy metal while the V is a jack-of-all-trades amp.

The JP2c clean channel has one mode, super clean. Two heavy channels, nearly identical with a little more kick to the red channel. Two EQs, onboard 1st gen Cab Clone, onboard overdrive circuit (shred mode), MIDI implementation.

JP2C is streamlined for heavy metal while the V is a jack-of-all-trades amp.

The JP2c clean channel has one mode, super clean. Two heavy channels, nearly identical with a little more kick to the red channel. Two EQs, onboard 1st gen Cab Clone, onboard overdrive circuit (shred mode), MIDI implementation.

Thanks!

The more I check it out I'm thinking the JP-2C might be a a good match for me, probably better than the Mark VII.

Both have MIDI which would pair well with my FM9.

Both are 18.75" inches wide which exactly matches my Mesa Thiele 1x12.

But I'm not really into bluesy overdrive or Classic Rock Marshall type tones. I like pristine cleans for Jazz and modern high gain tones for Rock.

Both are only 40 lbs. My other 100 watt heads weigh substantially more.

The JP-2C has two equalizers.

Anyone care to comment on their experience with the JP-2C or which they prefer and why?

Thanks!

The more I check it out I'm thinking the JP-2C might be a a good match for me, probably better than the Mark VII.

Both have MIDI which would pair well with my FM9.

Both are 18.75" inches wide which exactly matches my Mesa Thiele 1x12.

But I'm not really into bluesy overdrive or Classic Rock Marshall type tones. I like pristine cleans for Jazz and modern high gain tones for Rock.

Both are only 40 lbs. My other 100 watt heads weigh substantially more.

Anyone care to comment on their experience with the JP-2C or which they prefer and why?
JP2C is very raw sounding.

Back