Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

Cliff mentioned other vendors using the cab robot, so I think we would definitely have the door open for aftermarket cab packs (for better or worse).
Yeah but apparently they need to request one to loan which puts a spanner in the works. I asked on Fractal forums what is different about their robot vs Dynamount, we'll see if Cliff answers.

I think it will be tough for any non-US cab vendors to join in as shipping the tools halfway across the world might be expensive and you would be selling for a fairly niche audience compared to "everyone who has a modeler". So I definitely hope that Fractal offers a lot of variety in their stock cabs instead.

I wonder if this will work with the FM series that’s the one question I have not seen answered
Hopefully maybe they will replace some of the factory banks ?

I wonder if this will work with the FM series that’s the one question I have not seen answered
Hopefully maybe they will replace some of the factory banks ?
It's probably not going to need any more than what running IRs requires. I guess it will be limited to two cabs per cab block like the current IR setup.

I don't think they need to replace factory banks as long as the FM series has enough storage space for the new cabs.

Yeah but apparently they need to request one to loan which puts a spanner in the works. I asked on Fractal forums what is different about their robot vs Dynamount, we'll see if Cliff answers.

I think it will be tough for any non-US cab vendors to join in as shipping the tools halfway across the world might be expensive and you would be selling for a fairly niche audience compared to "everyone who has a modeler". So I definitely hope that Fractal offers a lot of variety in their stock cabs instead.
TBH, as much as I'd love to do it myself, inMusic wouldn't allow me to (non-complete clauses, yadda yadda yadda) so sod it... get the setup over to York and Ownhammer, and completely rule the cab universe! mwahaahahahahahahaa!!

on fire GIF
That should be my avatar, LOL.

Cliff mentioned other vendors using the cab robot, so I think we would definitely have the door open for aftermarket cab packs (for better or worse).
This'd have to be pretty revolutionary for me to buy any packs, TBH. At this point I have like 10s of thousands of IRs and have pretty much settled on about a dozen of them already mixed from YA or OH. That correspond pretty well to the cabs that I use IRL.

The impedance feature is probably the most cool/unique thing they have done in the cab space to date where it truly does add value. But I am mostly about avoiding cab tweaking these days so we'll see how this pans out.

Then again I'm an old timer... It'll probably be a great feature for Fractal newbs, though. It is a nice feature they stole from Neural, Mikko, L6, et al.

One sucky thing about Fractal presets is that for older generations in particular (I, II) presets were largely non-portable because everyone used different/commercial IRs that you cannot redistribute. Along with the large stock library on the III this may help more people keep 'em stock.

As far as vendors go, I'm not real into proprietary cab packs at this point even if they are incrementally 'better'. We'll see if vendors see a market for this that merits their time/effort. Esp if it requires renting equipment from Fractal, etc.

This'd have to be pretty revolutionary for me to buy any packs, TBH. At this point I have like 10s of thousands of IRs and have pretty much settled on about a dozen of them already mixed from YA or OH. That correspond pretty well to the cabs that I use IRL.

The impedance feature is probably the most cool/unique thing they have done in the cab space to date where it truly does add value. But I am mostly about avoiding cab tweaking these days so we'll see how this pans out.

Then again I'm an old timer... It'll probably be a great feature for Fractal newbs, though. It is a nice feature they stole from Neural, Mikko, L6, et al.

One sucky thing about Fractal presets is that for older generations in particular (I, II) presets were largely non-portable because everyone used different/commercial IRs that you cannot redistribute. Along with the large stock library on the III this may help more people keep 'em stock.

As far as vendors go, I'm not real into proprietary cab packs at this point even if they are incrementally 'better'. We'll see if vendors see a market for this that merits their time/effort. Esp if it requires renting equipment from Fractal, etc.

*deepest sigh*

"...I guess I'll buy another 4x12 Mesa cab with V30's..."

I hope this does come to the FM9
I have seen the question asked and for the MK1. But only the MK1 has been confirmed by FAS
Fm series have a different cab block and I don’t think the memory resources of the AX3
So it will be interesting maybe Dyna cab can be loaded on FM but not stored ?
At any rate I guess we will find out

I hope this does come to the FM9
I have seen the question asked and for the MK1. But only the MK1 has been confirmed by FAS
Fm series have a different cab block and I don’t think the memory resources of the AX3
So it will be interesting maybe Dyna cab can be loaded on FM but not stored ?
At any rate I guess we will find out
I would think the fm series would get a version of it. On the Helix stuff the new cab blocks actually saved a ton of cpu so I was hoping for something similar here.

Dyna-Cabs heeaaa, getcha Dyna-Cabs!!!

Fractal Audio Systems

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes​

Version 22 Introduces Dyna-Cab™ cabinet modeling.

The Cabinet block now has two modes of operation: Legacy and Dyna-Cab. Legacy is the previous style of operation.

Dyna-Cab cabinet modeling allows freely positioning the microphone. We took an approach of quality-over-quantity:

• Dyna-Cab IRs are a full 2048 samples.
  • Mic positions are sampled at a fine spatial resolution.
  • Three mic choices are available: Condenser, Dynamic and Ribbon.
  • All IRs are time-aligned with each other. They have been processed using a new algorithm that ensures alignment without destroying phase information. You can mix-and-match IRs from different cabs/mics and they'll always be perfectly aligned.
The Amp block now features “Auto Dyna-Cab Impedance”. When set to ON the speaker impedance curve of the Amp block will follow the Cabinet Type in the first mixer slot of the associated Cabinet block. I.e., if the Cab Type in the first mixer slot of Cabinet 1 is, say, 4x12 5153 and the Mode is Dyna-Cab then Amp 1’s speaker impedance will automatically be set to 4x12 5153.

Added “Treble Shift” control to Tone page of USA IIC+ models. This is an alias of the “Fat” control found on the Preamp page and performs the same function.

Added clip warning if Input 1 clips.

Fixed side-chain filters not working in Gate block.

Various other fixes and improvements.

You can mix up to four Dyna-Cabs. You can mix-and-match any combination of cabs and mics.

Position sets the radial distance of the microphone from the center of the speaker.

Distance sets the distance from the grill cloth. As you move the mic away from the grill the bass typically rolls off and more room is heard

Dyna-CabS
1 1x10 BF PRINCETONE
2 1x10 METRO BLUES
3 1x10 SF PRINCETONE
4 1x12 AC20
5 1x12 DELUXE VERB
6 1x12 DIV13 CJ11
7 1x12 HOT KITTY
8 1x12 TWEED 20112
9 1x12 VIBRATO LUX
10 1x15 VIBRATOVERB
11 2x10 SUPER 6G4