Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

There might be more to come, and this is only a beta; but my impression is that they've chosen what they believe are the best available mics out of the types that are available (?) 🤷‍♂️
Indeed
1679881311014.png

That was a reply TGF style. He is bringing the best TGF vibes to the FAS forum 😀

Last edited:
Just a bit of background. I always use the YA Mix 1 of whatever cab from them. So maybe I could have gotten close to this sound using the individual IR files of mics but this just makes it so much easier.

Yeah, I use mostly 1 and 3 mixes of the YA stuff.

What will be great about the new FAS cabs though, is that I would be able to share my patches here with people.

Not that anybody would be interested in my pushed cleans ahaha

Yeah, I use mostly 1 and 3 mixes of the YA stuff.

What will be great about the new FAS cabs though, is that I would be able to share my patches here with people.

Not that anybody would be interested in my pushed cleans ahaha
I've complained on here before about the sterile like behavior of the clean amps. I feel like that's gone now with the right dyna cab. Much more pleased with them

Don't have much to add beyond eagerly awaiting it on FM9. Don't think I'll change any standard go-to patches, but who knows?

I would have to hear it , I have no doubt that it will sound stellar and it will be great for new users
But I have a bunch of great sounding York Irs where his mixes have kind of done all the work finding the sweet spots and selecting a matching impedance curve takes about 10 seconds

I guess we will have to see if this is even coming to FM series , I have seen it asked but never answered
I feel this one might be AX3 exclusive

My first interaction with the new FW:

I selected factory preset "Rackmount Preamps" Scene-1, which sounds great for certain Gilmour solos using P90 pickups. It is using these cabs:

- 4x12 RECTO SM57 (Mesa Rectifier 4x12, Shure SM57)
- 4x12 BASKETWAVE G12M25 (68 Marshall Basketweave 4x12 loaded with vintage Marshall-labeled 25-watt Celestion G12Ms)

I've spent a while selecting many different DYNA-CAB combinations, using a reamp DAW track and headphones (my wife believes I am "working" from home this morning😅). While some sound good, and I found a combination very close to the original, none has the special vibe of these two legacy CABS of the factory preset.

So, the DYNA-CAB may be excellent for creating new things, but I was not able to improve something that was already perfect for my purpose.

Of course, if these two particular IRs were part of the the DYNA collection, it would sound as good as the original preset. With the addition that we could fine-tune the mic positions.

edit: don't throw your IRs, @jellodog :D The DYNA-CABs are not better or worst than a static IR; they just have more tweakability

Last edited:
My first interaction with the new FW:

I selected factory preset "Rackmount Preamps" Scene-1, which sounds great for certain Gilmour solos using P90 pickups. It is using these cabs:

- 4x12 RECTO SM57 (Mesa Rectifier 4x12, Shure SM57)
- 4x12 BASKETWAVE G12M25 (68 Marshall Basketweave 4x12 loaded with vintage Marshall-labeled 25-watt Celestion G12Ms)

I've spent a while selecting many different DYNA-CAB combinations, using a reamp DAW track and headphones (my wife believes I am "working" from home this morning😅). While some sound good, and I found a combination very close to the original, none has the special vibe of these two legacy CABS of the factory preset.

So, the DYNA-CAB may be excellent for creating new things, but I was not able to improve something that was already perfect for my purpose.

Of course, if these two particular IRs were part of the the DYNA collection, it would sound as good as the original preset. With the addition that we could fine-tune the mic positions.
Cliff said they have about another dozen cabs coming and so far only the TV Marshall so I suspect the basket weave may be in the next batch

Just curious, do you own a Fractal? Seems you are a Helix guy who wandered into a Fractal thread and ... I dunno.
Nah, I had one and returned it. Just read the thread because I was curious if they've made any major improvements. I'm a fan of gear in general and I'm open to buying another fractal product in the future if I decide it's worthwhile, so I check in occasionally

It seems weird to do a lot of mics poorly than fewer mics well.

If we were to use shorter IRs and a lower spatial sampling frequency like the product we're supposedly copying we could have many more mics.
Again, just from my experience in using a very similar cab block, I get a lot of mileage out of different mics, even switching from one dynamic mic to another, so it seems odd to me that the notes just say "dynamic" as if they're all the same - why not just say what the mic is?

I've never found any need to have a higher spatial sampling frequency in the mic locations. That seems like a strange thing to chase at the expense of more mic options, which provide a lot more range of tones than being able to move the mic 0.05" instead of 0.1"

It seems weird to do 25 cabs poorly rather than fewer cabs with a reasonable number of mics. Just speaking from experience with the Helix cab block that this is copying, you get a lot of mileage out of different mics.
For once FAS is showing the slightest bit of restraint and NOT going balls-deep with every fucking option/parameter/capacitor/diode… Thank GOD!

Don’t poke the bear. There’s a lot you can do with only three mics.

Again, just from my experience in using a very similar cab block, I get a lot of mileage out of different mics, even switching from one dynamic mic to another, so it seems odd to me that the notes just say "dynamic" as if they're all the same - why not just say what the mic is?
Imo people complain if there are too many parameters people complain if there are too few. I think it's at the point they are just going to do what they think is best. Cliff has explained why he chose his method

Back