Tone X 1.5 Update

Something like Kemper's Rig Manager should have been used as inspiration/starting point. That displays information for each model in a column on the right, you can see far more information on screen at any one point, and lots of the above points all behave as you'd expect
Absolutely.
It's the gold standard for both storage and auditioning
Unlimited user folder storage

The ToneX EQ doesn't have filters does it? Guessing he means something more like what Amplitube has (which is also a very basic IR loader that is desperate for improvement)
View attachment 17241

checking out the ToneX update more.

- Feels to me like the ToneNet and Collections features would be better off in the list on the left.
- locking the cabinet should apply for ToneNet auditioning, thats arguably where its most useful
- its possible to use command click to select non-contiguous items in the list, but annoyingly, you can't deselect items with it
- still can't batch edit models or presets :(
- This view doesn't really show anything useful unless your file names are short:
View attachment 17242
- cab section is overly basic. Especially so for IR's (you can't even alter the IR/VIR level, let alone polarity/filters etc) but I wish the VIR implementation was better too. Resonance defaults to 5, not sure if that means flat or if there is a reason for it.
- I think I understand the way presets are handled now instead of tone models. It could do with an initialise preset, as well as the ability to favourite presets without opening up the full view. Weirdly, here deselecting multiple items works fine.

Overall, its better and more like it should have been at release. The IR handling really needs to be taken seriously, both for Amplitube and ToneX. I actually really like the VIR concept and a lot of those sound great to me, but I never use them because they're often a pain to use (lots of clicking, different screens, vague information on how they work). With VIR in ToneX you get pretty simple naming with no way of knowing what speakers are in each cab. Is it useful to call a cab 412 STD or 412 RETS?

Something like Kemper's Rig Manager should have been used as inspiration/starting point. That displays information for each model in a column on the right, you can see far more information on screen at any one point, and lots of the above points all behave as you'd expect.
No it doesn't have filters, but a peaking one will suffice for the bands is needed.

Or for that matter the deep and presence

No it doesn't have filters, but a peaking one will suffice for the bands is needed.

Or for that matter the deep and presence
I find the deep and presence controls to be very effective but a low/high pass is definitely still needed.
As a make shift, I usually put the bass frequency at 60hz and dial it all the way back for those bass heavy captures.
It pulls a lot out.

The parametric eq doesn’t compensate enough for ya?

Yeah ... I meant just a basic HPF / LPF in the Cab - IR Block ... just for the Cab - IR block.

After going back to the KPA, I sold my Tonex ... but from memory ... I *thought* the para-eq controls were (a) specifically just for the Amp Block (?) and/or (b) if you used it as a global eq, you then couldn't use it for the Amp block (?)

Either way ..... I cant think of any modeler or software amp sim or IR loader or VST released in the last 5 years - or probably ever - that didn't come with, and have even the most basic HPF / LPF cuts option in their cab / ir block (?)

Ben

We really need to be able to do all of the reamps in one pass, and then let them all train overnight... and edit the meta-data and tags and graphics afterwards, as a batch too, so you can do an entire amp and all its modes and what not... let it train... and set it all up the next day.

Peter from IK has been on the Tonex thread at the "other" site(in HADES...LOL). He already mentioned that the Tonex team has acknowledged the terrible IR window issue and it will be worked on for the next update. He also affirms that the Tonex team is very much interested in making their customers happy and the Hi/Low shelving for the IRs has been passed on as a need for us.
They may be slower than we want, but they do seem to be continually trying to improve the product.
I guess we'll see.

The parametric eq doesn’t compensate enough for ya?
sacrificing the eq controls for the amp just to botch using eq to approximate filtering a cab IR is such a crap workaround, when they could just add a HPF, LPF, polarity switch and volume and be done.

Basically all IR loaders in 2024 have those features right?

We really need to be able to do all of the reamps in one pass, and then let them all train overnight... and edit the meta-data and tags and graphics afterwards, as a batch too, so you can do an entire amp and all its modes and what not... let it train... and set it all up the next day.
100000% this, and I think these were suggested since day one. I use NAM and Tonocracy more than ToneX these days because they sound better, train faster, can do batches, train in the cloud etc.

A lot of these functions are a result of reading requests for ToneX and implementing it into their own product. I’d absolutely use ToneX more if these aspects could be improved, because ultimately, NAM isn’t a product in the traditional sense, and ToneX on the whole is a more complete product than Tonocracy. I can make like 10 NAM models in the time it takes me to make one ToneX model, so it just doesn’t seem worth it to me right now….

I can make like 10 NAM models in the time it takes me to make one ToneX model, so it just doesn’t seem worth it to me right now
Yeah absolutely this. The reamping times are a bit quicker just in terms of the RAW file you have to reamp, iirc. And doing it all as one big recording pass, and then the training as a batch afterwards.... it is quicker. But even if it wasn't, it is still much more convenient.

Overall I prefer ToneX captures loaded into Amplitube 5. When you do that, along with all of the additional effects you get and cab modelling and all the rest of it... Amplitube actually really does compete very well with the other gear out there.

NAM sounds the most accurate. But if I have to use 2 or 3 plugins to get a full recording chain complete with effects processing... that just annoys me to be honest, and I'd either rather use Amplitube and take a slight quality hit, or just use my Helix or Axe FX III.

NAM is definitely the gold standard for accuracy. But speaking of which - since ToneX is based around Python and Tensorflow (IK's internal TXMMEngine) ... it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for them to implement NAM profile loading into ToneX, or even NAM capturing.

NAM uses Python and PyTorch. Converting the NAM code over to use Tensorflow would take a bit of effort, but not impossible at all. You'd get more or less the same results and same level of quality.

@IK Multimedia - throw that one at the devs and see how much they cry!! :rofl

Yeah absolutely this. The reamping times are a bit quicker just in terms of the RAW file you have to reamp, iirc. And doing it all as one big recording pass, and then the training as a batch afterwards.... it is quicker. But even if it wasn't, it is still much more convenient.

Overall I prefer ToneX captures loaded into Amplitube 5. When you do that, along with all of the additional effects you get and cab modelling and all the rest of it... Amplitube actually really does compete very well with the other gear out there.

NAM sounds the most accurate. But if I have to use 2 or 3 plugins to get a full recording chain complete with effects processing... that just annoys me to be honest, and I'd either rather use Amplitube and take a slight quality hit, or just use my Helix or Axe FX III.
I totally get this and agree, and just to make myself sound like a complete spanner, I’d actually love the total opposite with Amplitube.

I’d love for Amplitube to be split into individual plugins (as well as keeping the kitchen sink version). While having everything in one plugin is useful for making complete (and complex) rigs, often I just want to use a specific amp/cab/effect and it’s so cumbersome to use the software in basic ways like that.

The same thing is kind of happening with ToneX, it just reminds me of iTunes and how it evolved from a basic music player+library manager into something that supported purchases over the cloud, managing HW devices etc while getting more and more bloated (until it could bloat no more). All well and good, but I’d still love a really slick and simple app for just doing what it’s supposed to. The whole point of plugins is the freedom to mix and match, and while complexity is sometimes useful it makes it more of a pain to combine with other stuff.

NAM is definitely the gold standard for accuracy. But speaking of which - since ToneX is based around Python and Tensorflow (IK's internal TXMMEngine) ... it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility for them to implement NAM profile loading into ToneX, or even NAM capturing.

NAM uses Python and PyTorch. Converting the NAM code over to use Tensorflow would take a bit of effort, but not impossible at all. You'd get more or less the same results and same level of quality.

Nerd says "what".

:farley

Just kidding, I'll certainly stay in my lane on this one!!:bag

Snl Update GIF by Saturday Night Live

Sonja Sohn Post GIF by ABC Network

• Haha
Reactions: JT
sacrificing the eq controls for the amp just to botch using eq to approximate filtering a cab IR is such a crap workaround, when they could just add a HPF, LPF, polarity switch and volume and be done.

Basically all IR loaders in 2024 have those features right?

100000% this, and I think these were suggested since day one. I use NAM and Tonocracy more than ToneX these days because they sound better, train faster, can do batches, train in the cloud etc.

A lot of these functions are a result of reading requests for ToneX and implementing it into their own product. I’d absolutely use ToneX more if these aspects could be improved, because ultimately, NAM isn’t a product in the traditional sense, and ToneX on the whole is a more complete product than Tonocracy. I can make like 10 NAM models in the time it takes me to make one ToneX model, so it just doesn’t seem worth it to me right now….
You're right.
But i don't have the time to worry about a company doing there right thing.
And more importantly my use case is never stand alone so why would I use their it loader trying three hell out of it. Other than too effort for the pedal which in my case has cabs disabled.

Not holding my breath but really hoping for tonocracy to come through there

AmpliTube TONEX V1.5.1 (for Mac/PC) has been released

Changes from version 1.5.0:
  • Improved resizable Custom IR window with new search & sort options
  • New larger windows for saving Presets, editing Tone Models, or viewing their details
  • Fixed resize behaviour when dragging from the corner
  • Fixed local Collections tree now updating correctly
  • Improved drag/drop function to allow use with custom folders
  • Improved Info Window details for Tone Models on ToneNET
  • Improved Cabinet Type automation
  • Added “Date Added” information to Tone Model info window
  • Added sharing information to info page for Tone Models on ToneNET
  • Fixed potential for User icons to appear incorrectly in Tone Model list
  • Fixed a potential crash selecting B9000 from the VIR list
  • Fixed missing dot on selected VIR value menu for some cabs (e.g. B9000)
  • Updated user manual
  • General reliability improvements

AmpliTube TONEX V1.5.1 (for Mac/PC) has been released

Changes from version 1.5.0:
  • Improved resizable Custom IR window with new search & sort options
  • New larger windows for saving Presets, editing Tone Models, or viewing their details
  • Fixed resize behaviour when dragging from the corner
  • Fixed local Collections tree now updating correctly
  • Improved drag/drop function to allow use with custom folders
  • Improved Info Window details for Tone Models on ToneNET
  • Improved Cabinet Type automation
  • Added “Date Added” information to Tone Model info window
  • Added sharing information to info page for Tone Models on ToneNET
  • Fixed potential for User icons to appear incorrectly in Tone Model list
  • Fixed a potential crash selecting B9000 from the VIR list
  • Fixed missing dot on selected VIR value menu for some cabs (e.g. B9000)
  • Updated user manual
  • General reliability improvements
Love to see Tonex getting the improvements it deserves.

Love to see Tonex getting the improvements it deserves.

It's really encouraging to see that IK Multimedia have addressed this significant customer complaint within a week of the last release.

Great turnaround!

Film Festival Greetings GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

Excellent. Now that I have updated my instances of TONEX and enjoyed the update I'll start asking about 1.5.2 ;) But seriously, glad the team was able to get this update out reasonably quickly and can't wait to see the continued evolution of TONEX.

Excellent. Now that I have updated my instances of TONEX and enjoyed the update I'll start asking about 1.5.2 ;) But seriously, glad the team was able to get this update out reasonably quickly and can't wait to see the continued evolution of TONEX.
If you would add some good delays, mods and reverbs to it you will have turned my iPad into a rival for the Kemper Player and considering so many people already have iPads the cost comparison makes that contest heavily balanced in favor of TONEX

Edited to add: I forgot the iOS version isn’t part of the same update path as the PC/Mac version is. Still very useful but it could be so much more…

Last edited:
Back