Do You Still Update Fractal Firmware?

I don’t care if the model is closer to the real amp. I never had the majority of them.

If there is something really new, like new effects, new features, I update.

Incremental improvements over the modeling techniques…I don’t care as far as I can get great tones anyway.

finally pulled the III out of storage to check out 27 beta 2, it was on 26 beta 3. it's better? sure. it's like slow internet tho. I'd rather fuckin bang rocks together. it made gig performer crash 5 times selecting it as an audio interface. crashing gig performer is like crashing a calculator. *opens up guitar rig 7 and chugs manically"
Have you reported this to Fractal?

I typically update quickly... But I'm part of the FM9 beta team, so it comes with that job ;)

I still update to pretty much every new firmware, but where I used to get the most excited about amp modeling improvements, now I get the most excitement about improvements to effects or new effect types/models within the effects blocks, as well as any new quality-of-life or workflow improvement updates.

Also maybe it's not an "effect" as such but the DynaCab update basically represented an entire IR paradigm shift in the unit, and that was incredible. No question that update is worth doing.

Last edited:
I didn’t do the last update cause I’m still on tour.

But, before fw8 on the fm3, it tought that the unit was great, but I had to tweak a lot not to get a good foh tone but to get back some of the amp feel.
Fw8 changed a lot in the tone and feel, it’s really better. But still my complaints were about the attack and the « weight » of it, pick or legato.
That seems to have been improved in the fw9 so in will update next week for sure.

I’m not a modeler guy, been playing amps all my life, especially single channel amp ( Marshall, cornford) and even if fractal is really awesome, I’ve always found that there was something lacking especially on legato lines and pick attack. That seems to get better and better with the updates.

Am I alone? And crazy? :unsure:
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Oh yeah, might as well see what Cliff has been working on! And like what's already been said, it's such a quick process, if you don't like it, you can always go back to the firmware you were using before, so why not?
biggrin.gif

I don't. I haven't in a while. Couldn't even tell you what FW I'm currently on w/o looking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Damn thing sounds fuckin awesome just the way it is.
That's pretty much where I'm at as well. I haven't updated my firmware in ages but I'm way overdue. May do the up dates when the recent firmware release for the FM9 comes out of beta.

If you've stayed up to date through the last few, there's no downside. The latest changes are still thoroughly worthwhile, but they rarely require preset overhauls.

contact.jpg

Back