Fractal Audio Firmware Update Thread

daffy-daffy-duck.gif

• Three mic choices are available: Condenser, Dynamic and Ribbon.

They can't actually mean only 3 different mics were used, right?

There might be more to come, and this is only a beta; but my impression is that they've chosen what they believe are the best available mics out of the types that are available (?) 🤷‍♂️

That correct the Dyn is the SM57

Yup.

Link to the post where Cliff confirms it:

There might be more to come, and this is only a beta; but my impression is that they've chosen what they believe are the best available mics out of the types that are available (?) 🤷‍♂️
It seems weird to do 25 cabs poorly rather than fewer cabs with a reasonable number of mics. Just speaking from experience with the Helix cab block that this is copying, you get a lot of mileage out of different mics.

It seems weird to do 25 cabs poorly rather than fewer cabs with a reasonable number of mics

Are you saying that you think they've been done poorly because there is usually an expectation that to do it well you need a lot of mics?

Cliff said, "We actually used six mics during the captures, two of each type".

What if they've discovered empirically that this is not true? I wasn't there, so I don't know... but it's seems reasonable that they would want this to be the best that it can be and that they've made sensible decisions concerning the mic choices. Maybe give it a try first?

My understanding is that you can mix and match the cab captures with no phasing issues, so if you want a ribbon and a dynamic mic on a cab, you can have that. Anyway, I haven't got the firmware (not available for FM9 yet), so I know no more than what's currently written on the FAS forum.

Last edited:
It seems weird to do 25 cabs poorly rather than fewer cabs with a reasonable number of mics. Just speaking from experience with the Helix cab block that this is copying, you get a lot of mileage out of different mics.
It seems weird to do a lot of mics poorly than fewer mics well.

If we were to use shorter IRs and a lower spatial sampling frequency like the product we're supposedly copying we could have many more mics.

Just curious, do you own a Fractal? Seems you are a Helix guy who wandered into a Fractal thread and ... I dunno.

Back