Tone X 1.5 Update

Just upgraded both of my creation PCs and it working as good as ever. Would still like to see the (re)addition of "Date Added" / "Date Created" to the sort columns (as mentioned at TOP). Thanks Peter and IK!

The fine folks over at Jason Sadites have released another video.
IMG_2414.jpeg

The updates look pretty good. I still need more time with them.

We need to know what to set our Interfaces to (Input gain dB), for the the most realistic sound of the tone models. What is the optimal input gain for Tonex, what about Tonex Pedal as an interface? This is a key missing piece of data. "dial input gain until it sounds good, is imprecise". This information should be available to all users, and it should be in the manual.

Good to see updates like this addressed very quickly. Very initial thoughts of stuff that is standing out immediately.

Suggestion's for the cab IR section:

- allow the search to include non contiguous terms (this should apply for all search fields in ToneX, so you can search for various terms within a model to narrow results down).
- have the ability to point the ToneX software to an IR folder on a computer and import IR's from there
- (IMPORTANT) folders for the IR browser. Especially when combined with the above - most people already organise their IR's how they like. Loading them into a long list just undoes all the housekeeping people have done already.
- allow adjustments for volume/polarity/HPF/LPF and possibly blending 2 IR's
- add the favourites feature to IR's
- allow tagging and colour coding for IR's
- allow the ability to scroll between IR's without having to click the IR browser, scroll and then click one by one. Just small arrows (ideally with keyboard shortcuts or MIDI control) so the user can seamlessly audition IR's easily
- allow IR's to be locked on ToneNet, this is arguably the most useful time to use it (so you can audition models without the cab changing constantly and have the tone change drastically)
- Allow drag and drop for IR's.

General other ideas:

- Allow nested folders (Kemper Rig Manager is excellent with this, makes it great to organise direct models from mic'd ones for instance)
- I'd personally love to just remove all the included models as I'm never going to use them. Maybe a check box in preference to allow the user to customise which heads appear in the list
- Similarly, there is the "collections" item in the list on the left (which shows collections you own) and then on the top right there is "Collections" which shows all of the available ones (whether you own them or not). I'd personally rather see ToneNet and Collections just included in the list on the left and nowhere else. That seems the most intuitive to me, these separate layers just confuse things.
- allow the ability to process multiple items at once. Its possible to select multiple items, but if you click (for instance) favourite, you still have to do them one by one. There is also very limited functionality using the right mouse click and keyboard modifiers, so everything feels like its slower than it could be. This is the only library and browser we have for ToneX, so it can't be an afterthought tagged onto a model player.
- Allow exporting of folders via right click.

Last edited:
Seems to be capture specific tho, right?
A lot of users are likely ToneX Max customers and it won't really be clear to them what their library should sound like. Its potentially +/- 20dB on so ANY kind of guidance would be good.

As we've seen from John Cordy/Rhett Shulls videos on the topic recently, single coil players could be gainstaged 15dB or more differently to humbucker players, so the whole "aiming for a target peak" approach is too vague when accuracy is concerned.

Back