Favorite reverb pedals

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Need to add a reverb pedal (or two) to my board, curious what your favorite(s) are for:
  • Traditional reverbs
  • Ambient tones

Hands down the best plate I've ever heard.

1719068606249.png

My favorites are the Strymon BigSky and Free The Tone Ambi Space. They're both big and pricey kitchen sink units, but you're getting all kinds of quality sounds.

I used to have a Hardwire RV7, which was really lush especially at the price point. But I loaned it to a friend, who never gave it back. I was looking at the Neunaber Wet to replace it, since that also impressed me a lot. But never got around to it.

Of all the ones I’ve tried, I preferred the Ventris. The meris mercury 7 was out then and I could get the same sounds from the Ventris with the app’s advanced controls. The mercury X wasn’t out then though. If I were buying again now, I’d definitely give it a look.

D

I like the RV-5 on the cheap. Less than $90 used, and Stereo ins and outs. The RV-3 is also
cool as it is a both a Delay and Reverb. It can do just Reverb, just Delay, or both at the same
time. Doesn't have Stereo Input, though. Both are full of fun and can do a lot of what a big
box 'Verb can do without taking up a shit-ton of real estate, and costing 3 to 4 times as much.

Big fan of the C'Bread Talisman @Achilles . Had that one a few times. You can get more headroom
running it at 18 volts, too. But it is only the Plate thing.

The Keeley small form factor Aurora offers Plate/Hall/Room options. Sounds great. I'd put it's Plate
2nd to the Talisman when it comes to small form factor options.

I love Free The Tone stuff. Audiophile level sound. Their Ambi Space Reverb is :chef

Also, an HX One or M5 is a cool option for adding to the end of the chain for the Line 6
Reverb algos.

None of the EHX stuff has ever floated my boat when it comes to Reverb. Hard pass there for me. :idk

I think it depends on what kind of reverb you’re looking for. An “environment” or an “effect “. If you need is to go in an FX loop or not . If you need line level with actual control over the input and output level. There are a lot of great options but not all have have this covered and try to say they can be used in any configuration but this isn’t really true, not at least without being detrimental to your rig or it’s own signal to noise ratio. Old rack units tended to have this aspect down and it helped them to sound better than their specs ever could suggest. This and genuinely transparent analogue dry through again elevating the performance way past the expectations. Some modern units have amazing specs but just don’t sound good and affect the tone of the dry signal even though they claim analogue dry . You have to try them yourself preferably with your gear.

Back