Hey! Newbie here

View attachment 25910
So this is the looper pedal I liked when I had tried it in a store few weeks back.

Just now I saw a video on youtube in which a guitarist was using an overdrive pedal named RAT. He had set his amp clean-ish and was using this pedal as a boost with some gain for solos.

In theory, the RAT pedal may replace my Boss SD1. Since I will not be using any overdrive from my amp this way, I may put a looper like the one mentioned above after the overdrive pedal. This will solve the issue of my amp not having an "effects loop" and I will not have to replace my amp. I may be wrong.

But I am gonna take my pedalboard, partscaster and amp to a guitar store which has a used RAT pedal in stock tomorrow. I will call them up front and ask. I will only buy from a store which has a good return policy. I am not gonna trade my SD1 pedal yet. I will buy the looper pedal (used, online) next month after I have some more funds.

When I had bought pedals, my dad said I could run them on 9 Volt rechargable batteries, since pedals like SD1 don't need much current. I could use my adapter for the looper pedal. I won't have to purchase another, expensive, multi port, power supply then. I have a daisy chain cable if I need to connect the polytune to my power adapter as well. I am just not feeling confident if I have really figured this out.

Will this arrangement work? Does anyone have this 720 looper pedal? I am hopeful that it will be a reliable unit. Please let me know. Thank you.
I would put the poly tune on a separate power supply if necessary, as from my experience, it can add a weird digital noise to the signal path, when the power source isn't isolated from others....just my experience with that particular pedal.

Also, while you may be averse to a power supply, decent and inexpensive supplies are not difficult to come by.

Daisy chaining can be nice, sometimes, but can also create annoying problems.

Also loopers and other digital pedals will require more milliamps than their analog counterparts.

Just a few items to think about.

It's a cool journey, don't let people mold you....mold yourself ..let your ear and smile guide you.

Yes. I like to keep it simple.

I prefer boss-sized pedals. I tried a mini sized overdrive in a store. I don't know if I pushed the switch on it too hard to activate it, but it fell down on it's side after switching on. It's not an issue I endure with bigger pedals.

One more reason to dislike Mini Pedals. Not that it was needed!! :ROFLMAO:

I don't know if I could use a looper by setting up pedals and amp as mentioned in my earlier post. I hope experienced players on here could guide me if it will work. I am seeking a reliable 2-button looper pedal (with separate start and stop buttons) so I need help. Thank you.
You don’t necessarily need an FX loop unless you are using channel switching on your amp to get different levels of gain. If you’re only using one channel of your amp, then your fine so long as your drive pedals are before (closer to your guitar than) your looper. This way you record the amount of gain you intend for any given loop/ track.

No. I am not a bot.

Wish I could attempt a captcha code test to prove that I am human.
I didn’t mean any disrespect. Your writing style is just a bit more formal than usual around here, and you’re covering a lot of ground.

Also, whenever a “Brianna” walks into a room of 99% male guitarists, there’s a certain probability of clickbait. ;)

I would put the poly tune on a separate power supply if necessary, as from my experience, it can add a weird digital noise to the signal path, when the power source isn't isolated from others....just my experience with that particular pedal.

Also, while you may be averse to a power supply, decent and inexpensive supplies are not difficult to come by.

Daisy chaining can be nice, sometimes, but can also create annoying problems.

Also loopers and other digital pedals will require more milliamps than their analog counterparts.

Just a few items to think about.

It's a cool journey, don't let people mold you....mold yourself ..let your ear and smile guide you.

Thank you for the heads up about noise.

I am thinking of getting a used, inexpensive multi port power supply (Joyo, Mooer etc.)

You don’t necessarily need an FX loop unless you are using channel switching on your amp to get different levels of gain. If you’re only using one channel of your amp, then your fine so long as your drive pedals are before (closer to your guitar than) your looper. This way you record the amount of gain you intend for any given loop/ track.

Thank you. I will try this in a store with a looper pedal soon.

Thank you. This is very helpful.
No problem.

2 years ago, after I bought my multi effects/modeler, I gave most of my pedals away to my niece. I purchased a few more items for her to complete a 7 pedal beginners board, complete with power supply....and she still uses it...so a decent 20$ US one should work. Joyo/mooer/whatever

You will find way more help nowadays, then most of us got when we were younger, and I think that is cool. I try to do my best to help the less experienced and encourage experimentation....that's how you learn.....and Josh seems to be guided by sounds and experimentation...not looks and trends.....so I really appreciate his POV.

No problem.

2 years ago, after I bought my multi effects/modeler, I gave most of my pedals away to my niece. I purchased a few more items for her to complete a 7 pedal beginners board, complete with power supply....and she still uses it...so a decent 20$ US one should work. Joyo/mooer/whatever

You will find way more help nowadays, then most of us got when we were younger, and I think that is cool. I try to do my best to help the less experienced and encourage experimentation....that's how you learn.....and Josh seems to be guided by sounds and experimentation...not looks and trends.....so I really appreciate his POV.

I am a slow learner. I tried a reputed multi effects unit some time back, and it's knobs also worked as buttons. I had a hard time learning to operate it. I prefer simple pedals because functions are usually not hidden, and everything seems straight forward to use.

I like forums like these because I get to interact with experienced players who know things they learnt over the years. Sometimes salespeople in music stores are honest, sometimes they know a little less about a product than professional players who have tried it.

I have subscribed to Josh's channel and I am gonna watch his other educational videos soon.

I am a slow learner. I tried a reputed multi effects unit some time back, and it's knobs also worked as buttons. I had a hard time learning to operate it. I prefer simple pedals because functions are usually not hidden, and everything seems straight forward to use.

I like forums like these because I get to interact with experienced players who know things they learnt over the years. Sometimes salespeople in music stores are honest, sometimes they know a little less about a product than professional players who have tried it.

I have subscribed to Josh's channel and I am gonna watch his other educational videos soon.
Everyone has their own way to learn ...and turning knobs is also fun....once you become more advanced ...and start realizing there are some amazing things that can be done simply....phew....multieffects units shine in that space... especially with midi control, but that is a whole other can of worms.

One piece of advice I will give, and this applies to anything in life ... Never take anything as granted. Do your research, and become informed. That way you cannot be fleeced or taken advantage of...in anything.

If I would have had a knowledge base like this when I was younger, I would have saved so much money.

I used to buy used and inexpensive until so many of them broke that I realized that new and good quality was better value. :idk

A "Looper" pedal does not need an FX Loop on an amp. It just records and plays back what is put into it. Some have added rhythm beats or drums that match what you put in, like my old Boss RC-3.

A RAT is one hell of a distortion box - hard clipping over the soft clipping of an SD-1.

Stacking a RAT and an SD-1 is quite common for good reason.

Enjoy the voyage of discovery - but yes, the things cost $$$.

I made a discovery of sorts!

I bought a volume pedal and placed it between my guitar and amp. I turn the overdrive on the amp to the maximum value I need, and use the volume pedal to manipulate the gain.

The only other pedal I am using is polytune.

I know I could use the volume knob on my guitar, but unfortunately my fingers lack the dexterity of playing chords fast enough while using the volume knob.

I am gonna play with this arrangement for a while.

Sweet pickles of course :)
New York Yankees Thumbs Down GIF by MLB

Back