Your favorite pedals

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I’m building a pedal board again (which I know will end in misery) and since I havent had my ear to the ground in pedal hell for a while I’m curious what you guys are using and/or your current personal faves.

So personal top three by type:
  • Overdrive
  • Fuzz
  • Modulation
  • Reverb
  • Delay
Rules:
  1. Must be in production currently
  2. Not a multi fx unit. (can be multiple of that specific type, but no all in ones like an HX FX)
  3. Say Stomp one time and…

Bitch Slap Slapping GIF by absurdnoise

I’ve been out of the game a long time and haven’t tried a lot of newer stuff, but here’s older stuff I dig that’s still in production

Overdrive
ODR-1
Timmy
SD-1
Rat 2

Fuzz
Hendrix Fuzz Face
Wren & Cuff Box of War
Fuzz Factory

Modulation
CE-2w
MXR Flanger
TC Electronic Stereo Chorus

Reverb
Surfybear Compact
Walrus Slo
Source Audio Ventris

Delay
DM-2w
DD-3
Deluxe Memory Man

Most of my stuff is discontinued already, which makes this list a little awkward... 🤷‍♂️
  • Overdrive: Catalinbread SFT
  • Fuzz: EHX Ripped Speaker (it's a sleeper!)
  • Delay: Catalinbread Belle Epoch
PS: Maybe it's also a weird-flavor day today. Not sure.

• Overdrive: TS-9/TS9DX; Timmy; Tumnus Deluxe; Blues Driver; Wampler Pantheon/Pantheon Deluxe
  • Fuzz: DeadFX's I Can't Feel My Face Super Fuzz/T.X. Electronics Animalizzer/DOD Carcossa/JHS PG-14/KHDK Unicorn Blood II
  • Modulation: EQD Aurelius/MXR Phase 90/JHS Unicorn V2/
  • Reverb: NUX Atlantic/Keeley Caverns
  • Delay: NUX Atlantic/Keeley Caverns/Keeley Halo/DM-2w

Modulation
  • Strymon Zelzah
  • Strymon Deco V2
Delay:
  • Strymon Volante
Reverb:
  • Source Audio Collider
  • Strymon Flint V2
Can you tell I like Strymons? :sofa

I'm honestly not a huge overdrive or fuzz user, usually getting drive from the amp instead. On my board a Strymon Riverside handles all drive pedal duties and my only fuzz is the Boss FZ-1W, which sounds great in both modes.

I own a DIY Browne Protein and DIY Hudson Broadcast and those both are good, but the Riverside replaced the Protein and the Hudson is great for an overdrive to fuzz-ish thing.

I can really only offer my opinions on OD pedals since that's the only genre of non-multi-effect pedal I've owned in ~10 years.

For boosting, Buxom Boost. For adding dirt, Tim. For adding dirtier dirt, Fat Rat.

OD's
  • Pedals
    • Barber Direct Drive
    • Keeley Mod Ibanez TS (all mods)
  • Modeller (Helix)
    • Timmy
    • Klon thing
    • Horizon Drive
    • TS or SD depending on what I'm going for
Boost
  • Pedals
    • Keeley Katana - Pot pulled out always on for sweetener
    • RC or BB Pre (Xotic)
  • Modeller (Helix)
    • EP Booster (between amp/cab)
    • TS or SD up front with drive nearly off and level up
Delay
  • Pedals
    • DL4
    • 2290 Ducked Delay
    • Strymon prob has something that would work for me in the Timeline
  • Modeller (Helix or Fractal)
    • Ducked Delay
    • Dual Delay
Reverb
  • Mostly a plate, occasionally a spring type reverb unless going for something more ambient and washy
Modulation
  • Pedals
    • Deja vibe (Not always used)
    • CE-2 Chorus or TC Stereo Chorus
Wah
*Not always used
Budda BudWah or Clyde McCoy (I think these were the names, tough to remember it's been so long), I had a Crybaby also, it's converted to a controller now that I use with Helix for whatever type of control I want in a patch, originally used with my AxeFX Ultra. I think @stilwel actually did the mod board for it - man that was a long time ago.​
When I used to have a pedal board and amps I used to run:

Katana Boost--->MXR 10Band EQ ---> DIRT (BB Pre, Keeley MOD TS , Barber DD). then RC Booster most of the time

With a Chorus and DL4 in the FX loop

Last edited:
  • Overdrive : Keeley modded Boss SD-1, Sobbat Drivebreaker 1
  • Fuzz : Sobbat Fuzzbreaker 1R
  • Modulation: Effectrode Tube-Vibe, Pigtronix Quantum, Guyatone Wah Rocker
  • Reverb : Alexander Space Race
  • Delay : Pigtronix Echolution 2

OCD clone
RAT clone with the Amazon LM308wtf chip
Silver Horsey Bezos Edition
Blues Driver Clone

• Overdrive
    • Earthquaker Plumes
    • Friedman BEOD
    • DOD 250
  • Fuzz
    • DOD Carcosa
  • Mod
    • MXR Phase 95
  • Reverb
    • MXR M300
    • Strymon Blue Sky
    • Walrus SLO/Slotva
  • Delay
    • MXR Carbon Copy
    • Strymon El Capistan
    • Keeley Halo

Modulation
  • Strymon Zelzah
  • Strymon Deco V2
Delay:
  • Strymon Volante
Reverb:
  • Source Audio Collider
  • Strymon Flint V2
Can you tell I like Strymons? :sofa

I'm honestly not a huge overdrive or fuzz user, usually getting drive from the amp instead. On my board a Strymon Riverside handles all drive pedal duties and my only fuzz is the Boss FZ-1W, which sounds great in both modes.

I own a DIY Browne Protein and DIY Hudson Broadcast and those both are good, but the Riverside replaced the Protein and the Hudson is great for an overdrive to fuzz-ish thing.

I’m a Strymon fanboy myself, have a pair of Strymon’s on the way.

Im weighing the decision between a BlueSky vs Flint for my “non-ethereal-LordOfTheRings” verbs. I’m not a huge Trem guy, but the verbs on the Flint are very well regarded so the Flint is interesting to get the Tremelo as a bonus.

I’m also weighing the decision between an El Cap vs Volante.

• Overdrive
    • Earthquaker Plumes
    • Friedman BEOD
    • DOD 250
  • Fuzz
    • DOD Carcosa
  • Mod
    • MXR Phase 95
  • Reverb
    • MXR M300
    • Strymon Blue Sky
    • Walrus SLO/Slotva
  • Delay
    • MXR Carbon Copy
    • Strymon El Capistan
    • Keeley Halo

The Halo is calling my name for sure. How are you getting on with it?

I’m a Strymon fanboy myself, have a pair of Strymon’s on the way.

Im weighing the decision between a BlueSky vs Flint for my “non-ethereal-LordOfTheRings” verbs. I’m not a huge Trem guy, but the verbs on the Flint are very well regarded so the Flint is interesting to get the Tremelo as a bonus.
To split the difference, try the SA Collider. I think the Collider does just enough to have both big over the top reverbs and all the meat and potatoes covered really well. Plus it has a way better preset handling since you can change the preset easily from the pedal itself. And pretty good delays too.

I’m also weighing the decision between an El Cap vs Volante.
I don't have enough experience with the El Cap, but went for the Volante because of all the additional controls and what you can do with the multitap delays easily. It will kinda depend on what you want the delay to do. I've considered picking up an El Cap V2 but haven't found one used cheap enough.

The Halo is calling my name for sure. How are you getting on with it?

It’s a great sounding pedal - especially if you can run it in stereo (but still sounds good in mono) - the modulation and feedback loop algorithm is definitely something unique to this pedal. It’s also super functional with presets, tap, expression control and eq, mod, and drive to dial in dark tapey stuff to brighter digital.

All that said, my top two are still the CC and El Cap - they just both have a vibe I can get lost in.

• Overdrive : Keeley modded Boss SD-1, Sobbat Drivebreaker 1
  • Fuzz : Sobbat Fuzzbreaker 1R
  • Modulation: Effectrode Tube-Vibe, Pigtronix Quantum, Guyatone Wah Rocker
  • Reverb : Alexander Space Race
  • Delay : Pigtronix Echolution 2

I forgot about those Sobbat pedals! I really liked those too, do they still make them?

Back