Hey! Newbie here

I have unconventional choices lol

If I had a luthier in my family, I would ask him to make me a 14" fingerboard radius telecaster-shaped guitar with a single coil pickup in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position. There would be separate volume and tone knobs for both pickups. And a built-in tuner like some acoustic guitars have :)

I have unconventional choices lol

If I had a luthier in my family, I would ask him to make me a 14" fingerboard radius telecaster-shaped guitar with a single coil pickup in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position. There would be separate volume and tone knobs for both pickups. And a built-in tuner like some acoustic guitars have :)
That actually sounds awesome, have them ad a boost circuit and a phase toggle and you could do one hell of a cover set and impress an unsuspecting audience!

Also, sweet pickles do have their place ....just not at my table....but pickles are kind of a thing around here ...if you haven't noticed. It's just appreciated that you like them.

Honestly that guitar sounds awesome.

Sweet pickles of course :)

“Bread and butter” ?
Red Wine Ugh GIF by Married At First Sight

That actually sounds awesome, have them ad a boost circuit and a phase toggle and you could do one hell of a cover set and impress an unsuspecting audience!

Also, sweet pickles do have their place ....just not at my table....but pickles are kind of a thing around here ...if you haven't noticed. It's just appreciated that you like them.

Honestly that guitar sounds awesome.

I have always been curious about the phase thing.

I know there are many quite experienced musicians here like you, so I am asking this.

Can certain pedals (overdrive, delay, chorus, reverb etc.) cause the signal to go out of phase?

I am asking because I once saw a guitarist encounter this issue. He simply turned off a pedal he was using. He was playing lead, while I played rhythm. I only played one song with him on stage. He told me the pedal caused his signal to go out of phase. I was in a hurry, so I didn't ask him which pedal and all the details about it. He had a looper pedal too on his pedalboard.

Last edited:
That's what I thought.

Commonly (backline) amps which I plug into have a single 12" speaker.

However some amps (Jazz chorus amps, some Fender amps etc.) have 2 speakers.

I am assuming both the speakers will be in phase normally, to avoid cancellation of frequencies.

So if I have few pedals between my guitar and such an amp, any one of the pedals may put a single or even both speakers out of phase. This is assuming that I have plugged the pedals in front of the amp.

I had read somewhere that many amps with 2 speakers have effect loops for plugging in pedals. This ensures that both speakers remain in phase. But this may be valid just for the specific amp, which I was reading about.

I may be overthinking this. I am not planning on going stereo ever, so that I don't have to encounter this issue. But it's nice to learn from other guitarists who have spent decades gigging and touring. So that less experienced players like me will be ready with a solution if we have similar problems in the future.

Commonly (backline) amps which I plug into have a single 12" speaker.

However some amps (Jazz chorus amps, some Fender amps etc.) have 2 speakers.

I am assuming both the speakers will be in phase normally, to avoid cancellation of frequencies.

So if I have few pedals between my guitar and such an amp, any one of the pedals may put a single or even both speakers out of phase. This is assuming that I have plugged the pedals in front of the amp.

I had read somewhere that many amps with 2 speakers have effect loops for plugging in pedals. This ensures that both speakers remain in phase. But this may be valid just for the specific amp, which I was reading about.

I may be overthinking this. I am not planning on going stereo ever, so that I don't have to encounter this issue. But it's nice to learn from other guitarists who have spent decades gigging and touring. So that less experienced players like me will be ready with a solution if we have similar problems in the future.
Phase only becomes an issue when you have a 2nd signal, such as stereo. But a typical combo amp like you're talking about with 2 speakers, is only dealing with 1 signal, and those speakers both receive that same signal, so phase is moot.

If you create a 2nd signal, such as with a stereo delay, you'd still need to send that stereo signal to 2 separate amps for phase to become an issue, and that's only if the pedal reversed the phase of 1 of the signals, which I believe some pedals are capable of. But it still won't happen in an effects loop, because it's still just 1 amp, and therefore, 1 signal.

Back