Starting to take shape (Pedalboard build rev0.5’ish)

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
I figured I wouldn’t clog the Favorite Pedals thread with my own bullshit pedal build.

First wave of new pedals in the door yesterday. POG, OpAmp Big Muff, and Walking On the Moon.

POG doing poggy things. No complaints. Big Muff doing that Siamese Dream thing perfectly. I’ve owned both of these before so no surprises. I didn’t get hip to the Elastic Mattress pedal until after ordering the Walking On The Moon, which is supposedly just the Electric Mistress rebranded. (Though seeing Andy Summers on it adds to the vibe right :ROFLMAO: ) Super dope tones nonetheless. Im pleasantly surprised, that was kind of a last second stocking stuffer I threw in on the order (ya know, for the effort) and it’s kind of cool.

Current rotation. Probably gonna run the board with just the SD1 on OD duty for a bit to free up space on the Cioks.

IMG_4788.jpeg

The board will start taking shape over the weekend as The Strymon’ing begins. Dig v2 should be here today, and Deco v2 tomorrow. I’ve owned both so know what I’m getting. (V1’s at least) Dig is my favorite delay pedal I’ve ever owned and the Deco is kind of Strymon’s hidden gem. Believe it or not it’s actually my favorite chorus pedal lol. Lo-fi tones are dope. Curious to try the tape saturation with the $80 tone knob, because it was generally way too dark on V1.

Needs (Insert Farley)
  • Compressor and/or a clean boost. (sweetener) Might resort to using the Tumnus as boost in the interim, but I’m running out of spots in the Cioks QC7
  • An expansion to the QC7
  • More delays and verbs
Saturday Night Live Television GIF

• I’m pretty much a delay fiend, though I’m intentionally not going too crazy there yet because I want to spend some time with Dig/Deco. DMM, Halo, or El Cap all in the running for “next”.
I need to find some decent patch cables. These thin ones I have (I hate the 1/4” ones) get mangled super quick when having to twist them for the top jack to side jack connections. I need to google, maybe they make some thin line ones where the connectors are are the opposite side on either end.

Time to break out the pedal train board which I never thought I’d ever use after abandoning my last build a few year ago.

Lets Go Start GIF

Last edited:
That’s exactly what I need. The 4 port expander I’ll blow right past. lol You just chain it via the little 24v output at the bottom?
Exactly. The lower right side port on the DC7 into the upper left side port on the 8.

Progress for the day.

IMG_4789.jpeg

I thought at the time I bought the pedal train board it was ridiculously too big, but… lol Getting an angled board was an inspired choice too, (grrr) but Geddy Lee pitching in to keep things stable. :ROFLMAO: No Velcro until the board fills out and stabilizes.

Dig is just such a great pedal. Paired with the WOTM, instant vibes. Just screwing around with the Strymon presets :chef Gonna be fun to deep dive it again.

Time to Amazon a longer patch cable because my OCD is killing me turning the Dig sideways. Was able to find “S” connectors which should help squeeze some extra room and alleviate some of my OCD.

All out of space. Cioks expander incoming. 💪

I recently added a Cioks 8 to augment my DC7 and I couldn't be happier. Size to performance ratio is off the charts.

View attachment 21227
Yeah these things are great. I have the DC7 + 4 Expander. Since I have almost only digital pedals, those isolated outs get real important.

DC7+8 would power so much stuff you can have an insanely complicated board.

Yeah these things are great. I have the DC7 + 4 Expander. Since I have almost only digital pedals, those isolated outs get real important.

DC7+8 would power so much stuff you can have an insanely complicated board.

Yeah, I don’t have to actually carry this around anywhere, so I figured it’s better to have the extra slots and not have to potentially revisit it later.

I do wish the DC7 had a physical power switch on it, rather than having to unplug it, or throw it on a power strip, but otherwise it’s been a great piece of kit.

Nice.
How you liking the Blackhole? Is it patterned after the plugin? I've been using the plugin a lot lately with some ambient music.

Nice.
How you liking the Blackhole? Is it patterned after the plugin? I've been using the plugin a lot lately with some ambient music.

I’ve never used the plug-in or an H9 version. I like to use Leon’s Blackhole library on the Fractal, which is what motivated me to get the pedal when I saw it on sale.

It’s really cool. It took me a couple play through sessions to figure out the sweet spots for my preferences. (Cranking the depth, slowing the rate, and cutting some hi’s) I’m surprised how much I like the inverse decay side of the gravity knob. I typically don’t like reverse type stuff and assumed I’d only use the normal decay side.

Gonna wire it up with the Dig today which should be pretty awesome. 🤞

I do wish the DC7 had a physical power switch on it, rather than having to unplug it, or throw it on a power strip, but otherwise it’s been a great piece of kit.
Never thought about that, but it's probably built around pedalboards that have some sort of IEC module. I just use the one on my Temple Audio board which does have a switch. You could figure out if you can mount one of those on your board since they sell it separately and it's not that big.

I’ve never used the plug-in or an H9 version. I like to use Leon’s Blackhole library on the Fractal, which is what motivated me to get the pedal when I saw it on sale.

It’s really cool. It took me a couple play through sessions to figure out the sweet spots for my preferences. (Cranking the depth, slowing the rate, and cutting some hi’s) I’m surprised how much I like the inverse decay side of the gravity knob. I typically don’t like reverse type stuff and assumed I’d only use the normal decay side.

Gonna wire it up with the Dig today which should be pretty awesome. 🤞
That sounds like a fun setup.
I really love the BH plugin -- and a surprising amount of textures in there. Having a pedal version would be awesome -- but of course there's always the bigger box eventide space reverb. :unsure:

That sounds like a fun setup.
I really love the BH plugin -- and a surprising amount of textures in there. Having a pedal version would be awesome -- but of course there's always the bigger box eventide space reverb. :unsure:

Yeah I looked at that but opted for simplicity, because once you start looking at the Space, you start looking at the H9, and then you’re buying an H90 :ROFLMAO: At least that’s the madness I deal with lol

Board looks great! How is thst TC chorus?

Its good, does it’s job. It doesn’t blow me away or anything, but I’m not sure if that’s me knowing it’s a cheap pedal and I’m listening with my eyes/wallet. :ROFLMAO: I’m sure if I put a Meris logo over it I’d rave about its rich depth and subtle complexities. :rofl

It’s a really solid pedal.

Yeah, I don’t have to actually carry this around anywhere, so I figured it’s better to have the extra slots and not have to potentially revisit it later.

You could always use something like the image below...
Screenshot_20240406-103429_1.png

or ...
Screenshot_20240406-103840_1.png

Available on Amazon for $12.

Compressors, what a massively important yet completely mind numbing event to choose one.

I’m kind of digging the new Ego76 demos, (Quayle and Tubbs videos :chef) and it looks pretty great compared to the Cali76’s bougie price tag, but it’s hard to know if the latter is demonstrably better and well worth it. (It has so much street cred)

I’m giving a good long glance at the Crazy Tube Circuits PHI because of Leon’s shout. Kind of cool to have those three different comp types but also hard to know if I won’t just pick one and sit and forget. (Likely)

Back