Quad Cortex PCOM (Plugin COMpatibility) slated by Q2 2024

Haha, I thought i was the only one, i have a new way of doing it as the old way would Fck it up every time . I know user error, but i drove myself crazy cause i would constantly forget to change the Channel before i made the change .

And this is why i will never get rid of my AXEFX 3,the flexibility is unsurpassed. As mentioned above, access to almost everything with a foot switch / expression pedal ( I have 4 hooked up ) and the underated FullRes IR’s made headphone practice so enjoyable that for me, i play more as it sounds so damn real in my ears. Love it. It is DSP heavy so the Axe 3 Turbo ( or Axe 4 i) will be my next purchase
TBF, gapless switching may go some way to helping but on Fractal’s models the different gain structure switches, C45, HBE etc are all spread on different models. Super annoying to have your settings all reset when you just want to hear it with C45 or lowering the gain structure like you would on the real amp.

Just one of those compromises on modellers that you find a way to work around with a bit of jiggery pokery

But then you're forced to use scenes.🤷 I might want to simply have two amp channels assigned to a footswitch and use it like a pedalboard to switch channels and fx.

I don't find channels to be any more complex than fiddling with assigning bypass states to scenes on the QC on multiple devices and keeping track of what is bypassed on which scenes.
I don't find Channels to be any more complex than Scenes, either. The complexity arises with the combination of both Scenes and Channels. I'm just not convinced - yet - that having both adds enough value to warrant that complexity. (And of the two, Scenes/ Snapshots are inherently more inclusive.) But I'm still a FAS noob; maybe the value will become apparent in time.

Last edited:
Sweetwater has a demo QC available for the low, low (weird, weird) price of $1,444.15 right now. (The 15 cents is to cover the candy costs, I guess?) My current plan is to go a bit deeper with the FM3, but this is making my "sell everything else and buy a 2nd QC" reflex twitch.

I don't find Channels to be any more complex than Scenes, either. The complexity arises with the combination of both Scenes and Channels. I'm just not convinced - yet - that having both adds enough value to warrant that complexity. (And of the two, Scenes/ Snapshots are inherently more inclusive.) But I'm still a FAS noob; maybe the value will become apparent in time.
I've used Fractal since 2009. I switched to the QC for a year and now I'm back to using Fractal. They both have their upsides and downsides. Some things I prefer on the QC and some things (more things, obviously) I prefer on the Fractal.

What some see as complexity on Fractal, I see as freedom and possibilities. What some call ease of use on QC, I see as restrictions. At first I thought it's fucking sweet to be able to put 12 captures, six choruses and 3 reverbs in each patch, but after a while the novelty wears off and you're left with fx that are not up to standards (apart from some of the modulations, which are good!) and trying to design patches that minimise latency. One parallel path? Why?

One thing that annoyed me to no end is that it seems like Neural don't even know how their own hardware works. There is nothing in the manual about setting input levels, no mention of fx loop levels (they're not unity, they're something?? Users had to figure out how to set levels to have near unity gain. And then it felt like the levels are different depending on if you use the fx loop block vs separate send/return?)

I'd love nothing more than to support a Finnish company, but I just can't anymore. It was pretty cool to be able to buy a domestic high end amp modeler of all things.

I kept thinking "well, someone got inspired by Rabea" first time i watched the thing - and sure enough, our boy Bea recorded that track. The man can chug.
I immediately thought "yeah, that's Rabea" when I saw that. Neural does really sleek marketing.

I've used Fractal since 2009. I switched to the QC for a year and now I'm back to using Fractal. They both have their upsides and downsides. Some things I prefer on the QC and some things (more things, obviously) I prefer on the Fractal.

What some see as complexity on Fractal, I see as freedom and possibilities. What some call ease of use on QC, I see as restrictions. At first I thought it's fucking sweet to be able to put 12 captures, six choruses and 3 reverbs in each patch, but after a while the novelty wears off and you're left with fx that are not up to standards (apart from some of the modulations, which are good!) and trying to design patches that minimise latency. One parallel path? Why?

One thing that annoyed me to no end is that it seems like Neural don't even know how their own hardware works. There is nothing in the manual about setting input levels, no mention of fx loop levels (they're not unity, they're something?? Users had to figure out how to set levels to have near unity gain. And then it felt like the levels are different depending on if you use the fx loop block vs separate send/return?)

I'd love nothing more than to support a Finnish company, but I just can't anymore. It was pretty cool to be able to buy a domestic high end amp modeler of all things.
Sure, this all makes sense to me.

In terms of the freedom vs. complexity thing, I obviously need to invest more time. We'll see whether the things I don't need are easily ignored, or whether I keep tripping over them on the way to what I'm actually trying to work with.

It's ironic. I've often complained about gear because I needed it to be more flexible, and now I find myself wondering if the FM3 needs to be as flexible as it is. Some of it comes down to timing: say 10 years ago I'd be trying to use/ misuse some old Digitech footcontroller I bought for a dollar, and yelling at my Kemper because I couldn't get it to respond to random PC messages exactly the way I wanted. Whereas today, I have cheap controllers that can be programmed to send exactly what's needed, and that's the way my (human) brain organizes things; so I want to just open a manual and find a simple chart that says "Send MIDI X to perform function Y, end of story, now go get your guitar." (I.e. page 95 of the QC manual.) I know that in absolute terms the FAS stuff is more capable under more circumstances, and that is an objectively good thing. It just sometimes feels like it all needs a shave and a haircut to make presentation/ navigation a little more efficient. A vague sense that features x, y, and z are like a Venn diagram of functionality that overlaps 85% in the middle.

As for levels, etc. I'll take your word on that. I know it's been a common complaint. I play exclusively in my own home now, where I have control over all of the external variables (e.g. outboard gear), so it's never troubled me to just find the corresponding level knobs (right there on one convenient page with an actual picture of all the I/O) and turn them until everything sounds good. The crux of the matter, for me, being that this always happens quickly and painlessly on QC, whereas on FAS I'm looking at a lot of different screens, and still wondering if I should be concerned about some other screen I'm not aware of. :idk

QC's four lanes, two parallel paths - I assume this is representative of the underlying architecture, since it's exactly the same functionality as presented by Helix Floor, etc. But I could be wrong about this.

NDSP does have a knack for seeming clueless. I mean, they built this thing and they managed to make the OS work (however long it took them), so there's clearly intelligent talent onboard. But whenever you present a question to support or whomever, it turns into a clown car. I think it's a communications and staffing issue more than anything, but from a customer perspective... same difference.

I’ll always champion simplicity, and in this case I’d just implement it as the ability to change the device type of a given block per Scene (in addition to its parameters.) Possibly restricted to a change within block category e.g. amp. Functionally equivalent, but “flattened” from 2 layers of configuration to 1.

You’re saying each scene could have its own device type per scene? So in theory one amp block is on the grid, but the amp could change (Plexi to 800 to Twin etc) 8 times for scenes A-H? I’d be onboard but seems like it would be a destroyer of resources.

I was aiming way lower, like having each amp type (800, 900, Jubilee) have their own “favorites” or “presets” with different amp settings saved. Just some simple recallable setting.

I don't find Channels to be any more complex than Scenes, either. The complexity arises with the combination of both Scenes and Channels.

I just use channels with a corresponding scene. It makes it simple to conceptualize. And at least for me, that makes the value of channels easily apparent, because I don’t have four amp blocks on the grid, just one.

I’d be onboard but seems like it would be a destroyer of resources.
That's the big question. (And the reason I nearly deleted that post 5 minutes after writing it LOL.) It would only work on a product with a ton of DSP on tap. Just a way of hiding/ better organizing the n (where n is the number of Scenes supported) amp models that were loaded behind the scenes. Otherwise there would be so many caveats it would add complications, more so than alleviating any.

I was aiming way lower, like having each amp type (800, 900, Jubilee) have their own “favorites” or “presets” with different amp settings saved. Just some simple recallable setting.
Yeah, this is important, but a much lesser ask. Almost unrelated, even - closer to a librarian function. FAS and Kemper already have this functionality. (Did HX ever get it? I've lost track...)

Yeah, this is important, but a much lesser ask. Almost unrelated, even - closer to a librarian function. FAS and Kemper already have this functionality. (Did HX ever get it? I've lost track...)

Yeah not sure about the others, I’ve never strayed from QC/Fractal land.

Seems like a relatively “easy” add, to “just” have A,B,C,D buttons in the top right, second page, or a drop down (in the block) to house favorite settings for each device type. Between pins, defaults and favorites it would really streamline things even more. Strength to strength.

That's one big drawback from having multiple platforms if you plan on doing anything more than playing through them at home with no real endgame in mind. Learning a switching paradigm for something different is always a timesuck. Especially something as deep as FAS. I use scenes with midi to switch presets on my GM remotely as well go from rhythm to lead, rhtyhm to ambient and add in some rotary. On the III with FC12; I have a monster performance layout I cribbed from Burgs that is killer. Switch between presets, scenes and effects view with tuner and some other utility switches sprinkled throughout.

On the III with FC12...
If I doubled down and bought an FC6, that would probably improve matters considerably. At the moment, I'm dealing with configuring a third party controller (MIDI Captain) and FM3 MIDI In to play nice, and then I've got to sort out FM3 MIDI Out to control synths (iOS software, typically). On top of figuring out the best way to route and control external audio. (Via USB, preferably, but not if it makes me gouge my eyes out LOL.)

All of which took 3 minutes on QC. :idk

Last edited:
If I doubled down and bought an FC6, that would probably improve matters considerably. At the moment, I'm dealing with configuring a third party controller (MIDI Captain) and FM3 MIDI In to play nice, and then I've got to sort out FM3 MIDI Out to control synths (iOS software, typically). On top of figuring out the best way to route and control external audio. (Via USB, preferably, but not if it makes me gouge my eyes out LOL.)
Oh god I would drop that activity like a hot potato asap. FC controllers may cost more but I'll take them 497 days a week over futzing with 3rd party midi controller setup on FAS stuff.

Hope you just had the MIDI Captain lying around. There is no third-party MIDI controller worth eschewing the streamlined integration of FC controllers. Of course, I don't like modular anything, so I went with the FM9 so I wouldn't have to bother with even FM3+FC6/12 in the first place.

Oh god I would drop that activity like a hot potato asap. FC controllers may cost more but I'll take them 497 days a week over futzing with 3rd party midi controller setup on FAS stuff.
If I were more committed to FAS, then I'd probably be on the prowl for a used FC6 already. But I'm still in the "keep it or flip it?" stage. Honestly, it was pretty easy setting up the MIDI Captain to select Scenes 1-8, and to send an expression pedal wirelessly as FM3 Expr 1. That'll meet 95% of my needs, and I'm hoping "Stand-in Switches" will cover the rest, once I figure that out. The only mild hassle was going cross-eyed looking at all the PC mapping settings. Same old same old: determining what you can safely ignore.

Hope you just had the MIDI Captain lying around. There is no third-party MIDI controller worth eschewing the streamlined integration of FC controllers. Of course, I don't like modular anything, so I went with the FM9 so I wouldn't have to bother with even FM3+FC6/12 in the first place.
I did. The MIDI Captain has been perfect for controlling the QC, which as I've mentioned, I like having on my desk or 4x12 for editing. It was very affordable, and setting up a new bank to control the FM3 was free - apart from the 3 minutes I spent plugging it into my PC. (In fact, the QC settings for Scenes work exactly as-is on FM3; you just have to select the same Scene Select CC# on the FM3.)

Last edited:
Sweetwater has a demo QC available for the low, low (weird, weird) price of $1,444.15 right now. (The 15 cents is to cover the candy costs, I guess?) My current plan is to go a bit deeper with the FM3, but this is making my "sell everything else and buy a 2nd QC" reflex twitch.
A-a-a-a-nd it's gone.

Why do you want a 2nd QC?
spongebob-mind.gif

Back