Quad Cortex PCOM (Plugin COMpatibility) slated by Q2 2024

I've been inching my way through the Fractal learning curve, and I'm finally nearing the point where "this is absolute madness" (e.g. the overcomplicated distinction between Scenes and Channels and their respective capabilities; miles of MIDI mapping to support dumb controllers we should have abandoned in the early 90's, and mostly did) gives way to "wow, this is actually pretty brilliant" (e.g. Performance Pages; Stand-in Switches; Modifiers if I'm ever feeling smart enough to actually use them...)

Channels are friggin awesome. Having the ability to nest 4 entirely different models within one block allows you to create extremely simple signal paths, but that are a mile deep in tonal variation and combination. I love not having to drop redundant blocks on the path, for say clean rhythm lead, or different reverb/delay types.

I find they greatly declutter building signal paths, especially since 95% of the time you aren’t going vary where those blocks are placed. You can have a massive kitchen sink preset, but on the surface it’s like a simple single path of 6 blocks. :ROFLMAO:

For sure you can get lost in the “what scene uses what channel again” madness, but I learned quickly to label each scene otherwise it turns to chaos and that bass scene you spent all afternoon on, just got wiped out by your Ambient Elrond attempts.

Ditto, and at this point I've owned all the major platforms.

I've been inching my way through the Fractal learning curve, and I'm finally nearing the point where "this is absolute madness" (e.g. the overcomplicated distinction between Scenes and Channels and their respective capabilities; miles of MIDI mapping to support dumb controllers we should have abandoned in the early 90's, and mostly did) gives way to "wow, this is actually pretty brilliant" (e.g. Performance Pages; Stand-in Switches; Modifiers if I'm ever feeling smart enough to actually use them...) But I still wouldn't trade my QC for an FM3, or even an FM9. The ease of use, wireless capture downloads, and I/O per square foot put it way out front for my purposes. I'm lucky to be able to have both (and that's where I'm currently leaning), but if I had to choose? QC without hesitation.

Yeah, the QC usability and form factor is pretty cracking. Definitely among my favorite aspects when I had it. Core amp sounds are no slouch either.

One of the things that keeps me from going back is that they're still lacking variety when it comes to effects (Fractal's outlay of complicated reverbs, delays, synths and the controllers that can make them automate and get super wacky are hard to top), and to compound matters...their latest "development updates" lead me to believe the QC future content outlook is pretty paywall-heavy and barren of net-new models.

Also, I have come to rely on Fractal's superior switching, footswitch configurability and routing for live usage. (Well, live in the practice room with my band. No gigs on the horizon currently.). Just don't see being able to get close without adding a MIDI controller, which defeats the purpose of it being a convergence device (already have a volume/expression pedal taking up space, damnit).

Channels are friggin awesome. Having the ability to nest 4 entirely different models within one block allows you to create extremely simple signal paths, but that are a mile deep in tonal variation and combination. I love not having to drop redundant blocks on the path, for say clean rhythm lead, or different reverb/delay types.

I find they greatly declutter building signal paths, especially since 95% of the time you aren’t going vary where those blocks are placed. You can have a massive kitchen sink preset, but on the surface it’s like a simple single path of 6 blocks. :ROFLMAO:

For sure you can get lost in the “what scene uses what channel again” madness, but I learned quickly to label each scene otherwise it turns to chaos and that bass scene you spent all afternoon on, just got wiped out by your Ambient Elrond attempts.
Yeah, I totally get the benefits of Channels - the ability to conserve CPU by using one block as opposed to n blocks, the ability to build multichannel "devices" (e.g. amps) that are more analogous to their real-world equivalents, the ability to build more streamlined presets, etc.

I think the one thing I dislike about the paradigm is the fact that it introduces all kinds of "Scenes can do X but only Channels can do Y" caveats. In Helix and QC-land, you select a Scene/ Snapshot, set everything the way you want it, and that's that. In FAS-land, that's only true of some parameters, and not others, so you don't necessarily have the option of ignoring Channels when you don't need them. Of course, my experience thus far is primarily limited to RingTFM, so maybe some sense of reason/ benefit will become clear to me as a I continue to actually use the FM3.

Yeah, I totally get the benefits of Channels - the ability to conserve CPU by using one block as opposed to n blocks, the ability to build multichannel "devices" (e.g. amps) that are more analogous to their real-world equivalents, the ability to build more streamlined presets, etc.

I think the one thing I dislike about the paradigm is the fact that it introduces all kinds of "Scenes can do X but only Channels can do Y" caveats. In Helix and QC-land, you select a Scene/ Snapshot, set everything the way you want it, and that's that. In FAS-land, that's only true of some parameters, and not others, so you don't necessarily have the option of ignoring Channels when you don't need them. Of course, my experience thus far is primarily limited to RingTFM, so maybe some sense of reason/ benefit will become clear to me as a I continue to actually use the FM3.

Hahahaha I dunno, I still fuck up my Scenes all the time by forgetting to change a Channel when making adjustments on the individual blocks and I’ve been at it for half a decade. :rofl

I loved my old Axe Fx II as it had X-Y on a lot of blocks. But as you say with the III you have 2 more with Channels (4) and I can see that this will make it seam like the preset is less clutterd. Cool thing to have! With a touchscreen this will be a good thing in a future Axe Fx model
On my Axe II it had X-Y buttons, making it `easy` to get into the block Channels

I loved my old Axe Fx II as it had X-Y on a lot of blocks. But as you say with the III you have 2 more with Channels (4) and I can see that this will make it seam like the preset is less clutterd. Cool thing to have! With a touchscreen this will be a good thing in a future Axe Fx model
On my Axe II it had X-Y buttons, making it `easy` to get into the block Channels

I’d love to see the QC add something similar, even if just initially as presets just for that specific amp/delay/reverb type etc. Would be kinda clever with touch UI with A,B,C buttons or something in the corner.

I’m not holding my breath for a touch fractal, I’ll settle for a tablet editor though :ROFLMAO:

I’d love to see the QC add something similar, even if just initially as presets just for that specific amp/delay/reverb type etc. Would be kinda clever with touch UI with A,B,C buttons or something in the corner.

I’m not holding my breath for a touch fractal, I’ll settle for a tablet editor though :ROFLMAO:
I’ll always champion simplicity, and in this case I’d just implement it as the ability to change the device type of a given block per Scene (in addition to its parameters.) Possibly restricted to a change within block category e.g. amp. Functionally equivalent, but “flattened” from 2 layers of configuration to 1.

I’ll always champion simplicity, and in this case I’d just implement it as the ability to change the device type of a given block per Scene (in addition to its parameters.) Possibly restricted to a change within block category e.g. amp. Functionally equivalent, but “flattened” from 2 layers of configuration to 1.
But then you're forced to use scenes.🤷 I might want to simply have two amp channels assigned to a footswitch and use it like a pedalboard to switch channels and fx.

I don't find channels to be any more complex than fiddling with assigning bypass states to scenes on the QC on multiple devices and keeping track of what is bypassed on which scenes.

Being able to assign control switches to functions on the Fractal amp blocks (eg input boost, fat, cut) and have them switch seamlessly is something I find myself missing on the QC. For example the JPIIC+ shred switch causes an audible gap when switching it on/off across different scenes.

Wait, within the same amp block? That sounds like a bug :(
No bug, it`s just how that switch works, others work without gap. There is a `I` ( info ) on that button that says the sound will be cut for a moment. So we are warned about it. Just use 2 amp blocks

Skjermbilde 2024-01-10 105207.png

I would guess they need a brief mute whilst they load a new batch of captures in the background.

Selling the QC was the best gear decision I ever made.

No bug, it`s just how that switch works, others work without gap. There is a `I` ( info ) on that button that says the sound will be cut for a moment. So we are warned about it. Just use 2 amp blocks

Thats's effectively... two amp models being toggled by a switch then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not negativity, but... it just feels like NDSP always finds a way to fall just short of excellence with these things.

Having model controls you can switch in scene mode is not better than a separate block (or f.ex. Fractal channels) if they introduce audible gaps. The real amp definitely doesn't do that.

Not negativity
Ohh okkk
, but... it just feels like NDSP always finds a way to fall just short of excellence with these things.

Having model controls you can switch in scene mode is not better than a separate block (or f.ex. Fractal channels) if they introduce audible gaps. The real amp definitely doesn't do that.
With this model, 2 amps would be good to have in a preset.
With the Friedman BE - HBE we have all the switches ( with no gap, I think, have to check )

On the fractal, you have models of amps set with switches ( and that is ok as well )
It`s not the end of the world

Hahahaha I dunno, I still fuck up my Scenes all the time by forgetting to change a Channel when making adjustments on the individual blocks and I’ve been at it for half a decade. :rofl
Haha, I thought i was the only one, i have a new way of doing it as the old way would Fck it up every time . I know user error, but i drove myself crazy cause i would constantly forget to change the Channel before i made the change .
Being able to assign control switches to functions on the Fractal amp blocks (eg input boost, fat, cut) and have them switch seamlessly is something I find myself missing on the QC. For example the JPIIC+ shred switch causes an audible gap when switching it on/off across different scenes.
And this is why i will never get rid of my AXEFX 3,the flexibility is unsurpassed. As mentioned above, access to almost everything with a foot switch / expression pedal ( I have 4 hooked up ) and the underated FullRes IR’s made headphone practice so enjoyable that for me, i play more as it sounds so damn real in my ears. Love it. It is DSP heavy so the Axe 3 Turbo ( or Axe 4 i) will be my next purchase

Back