NMD: Taking a spin with Tonex

Cool ToneNet find of the day.

View attachment 25776

Head only capture that sounds like a super pissed off Marshall. Creating a #4 slot just in its honor. :LOL:
Man those amps were some awesome fodder for forum banter a while back. I had to admit the clips of it sounded good. The posts of people saying theirs caught on fire were entertaining to say the least.

Last edited:
TONEX USERS PSA:

For anyone else dumb enough not to check this on day 1.....

Was watching a Jason Sadites video about level matching presets and he touched on the global input trim setting,
and why he keeps it at 0.0 - so his guitars, pickups, playing dynamics, etc. take care of the input level hitting the
front end of the captures.

Makes perfect sense so I figure I better double check mine to make sure it's good.

Brand spanking new out of a cellophane wrapped box the input trim was set at FREAKING +7.5 !?!?!!!!
No wonder my keeper profile yields have been so small so far - everything was getting goosed up front.

At 0.0 my three top profiles are so much more distinct - eyes closed I could easily tell them apart by amp now.
They'd all been great but a bit too similar in maxed out gain - go figure. The Soldano's still a screamer while both
the Boogie and Helios are less gained out and have a more touch sensitivity - still high gain though.

Going to re-load everything from the SLO100, Mark IIC+, and M-Zero OD packs I bought and take all the captures
for another spin.

I didn't even know how to get into the Global Settings before today so I didn't adjust it to +7.5 by accident.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

TONEX USERS PSA:

Was watching a Jason Sadites video about level matching presets and he touched on the global input trim setting,
and why he keeps it at 0.0 - so his guitars, pickups, playing dynamics, etc. take care of the input level hitting the

Makes perfect sense so I figure I better double check mine to make sure it's good.

Brand spanking new out of a cellophane wrapped box the input trim was set at FREAKING +7.5 !?!?!!!!
No wonder my keeper profile yields have been so small so far - everything was getting goosed up front.

At 0.0 my three top profiles are so much more distinct - eyes closed I could easily tell them apart by amp now.
They'd all been great but a bit too similar in maxed out gain - go figure. The Soldano's still a screamer while both
the Boogie and Helios are less gained out and have a more touch sensitivity - still high gain though.

Going to re-load everything from the SLO100, Mark IIC+, and M-Zero OD packs I bought and take all the captures
for another spin.

I didn't even know how to get into the Global Settings before today so I didn't adjust it to +7.5 by accident.

I very vaguely recall a bumpy history with how IK handled levels due to an oversight in the release firmware where the hardware input level was WAY hotter than expected at the default 0db when compared to the plugin - then everyone started setting their input to -7.5 on the hardware to match the software.

IK then decides to release a firmware update that fixes the issue so the new default 0db is 7.5 quieter but I think anyone’s unit that was originally at the factory zero setting got bumped up to +7.5.

It’s some weird chain of events like that.

8yzg5r.jpg

Noticing Tonex tweaking trends that seem to work with every keeper capture.

- Set DEPTH to 0.2. Don't really need any but 0.2 sounds a bit better than off for some reason.
- Reduce the BASS starting point from 5.0 to 2.5 and then tweak from there.
- Compressor on POST with a -0.2 attack. This rolls off extreme upper end ice picks.
- Set the TREB FREQ to 2.3K - this also helps if you need to roll back additional high end.

I do this with any new capture before I even play a note with it. Much better first impression that way.

What do you guys think of the sound?

:headbang

Is that preset up on ToneNet?
If yes can you point me in the right direction?
If not, could you upload it?

d71463471164d4d1746c532769a6e755.png

I'm looking for a nice aggressive Marshally bite like that!

Thanks!

Why do so many people dislike the amalgam high gain stuff? So far their 5150 and dual recto are my favorite of all the captured I’ve found so far

TONEX USERS PSA:

for another spin.

Because after IK made some changes from the initial release +7.5 - 8 on the input trim is 0dBU equivalent. It depends on your pickups, but with anything less than 7.5 with PAFs or Mid output PAFs 12.8 ish sounds and feels weak to me. Might be fine for high output pickups.

I don't agree with Jason's findings in this area for the sounds I prefer. Although I agree with some of his advice in general.

Last edited:
Why do so many people dislike the amalgam high gain stuff? So far their 5150 and dual recto are my favorite of all the captured I’ve found so far
likely their output system or input gain settings.

I know for quite some time, I felt that everything less than hi gain was stellar with Amalgams captures, but just a little weak on the high gain for me.

After getting my input gain sorted for my playback method, those two amp captures you mentioned sound pretty good to me as well. If I need more gain I can goose them with a boost.

I still prefer Mercuriall 6160 III Stealth model blue channel over many captures on Tonex - although there are some good ones.

Man, there are 12 pages of Choptones packs for Tonex. Barely any info on whats in each one, how are you supposed to sort it out? I really loved the choptones metallica stuff

Back