Donner Arena 2000 - possibly the best UI on a small modeler?

The latency problem was in the Ampero II Stomp, when using amp with internal cabs. It was 10 ms. That´s a quite bad value... even when you´d most probably not notice it. But if you were to use it with other digital pedals, then you´d be in trouble almost for sure.

When using IRs instead of internal cabs, the latency was "normal". Worse than others, but useable.

After the update, they improved a little those latencies. But, with internal cabs it´s still too high (8 ms). It keeps on being a problem.

The rest of shitty "modelers" are on par (sometimes better, such as Nux, Mooer or Zoom units) with the "great modelers" that We all know.

So I wouldn´t link the "slowness" adjective to the "cheap" modelers. For instance, Headrush suffers a lot in this regard. QC isn´t brilliant either. Nor is TMP when using loops.

Just as a reference: Mooer GE250 is twice faster than the FM3.

Nux MG-30 or Zoom G11 are notably faster than QC, Kemper or FM3.

Latencies are not that important unless you´re using units with other digital gear.

ezgif-1-ad53fb94f2.gif

Possibly your loss that you don't understand the purpose of this thread. But hey, not understanding things seems to be a trademark of yours.
On the contrary, knowing what this thread about is what makes it funny. I’m finding it interesting what your deal is, that you spend a considerable amount of time obsessing over details like this, instead of just playing guitar.

But go ahead with the ad hominem, if it makes you feel better.

On the contrary, knowing what this thread about is what makes it funny. I’m finding it interesting what your deal is, that you spend a considerable amount of time obsessing over details like this, instead of just playing guitar.

Fwiw, I'm doing the guitar playing thing for a living, so I'm playing a fair amount. What about you? Anything else but collecting gear and not understanding why UI issues are important for live playing musicians?
And fwiw, as far as ad hominems go, glasshouse mucho, eh?

An easy to use piece of shit is stll a piece of shit
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Shooting Star GIF

They probably did :grin

Fwiw, this thing doesn't sound completely unusable, though (and I'm sure it'd profit from some modified cab IRs quite a bit). I've been playing tons of shows with worse sounds to be sure - and nobody ever complained (but my inner self...).

Fwiw, I'm doing the guitar playing thing for a living, so I'm playing a fair amount. What about you? Anything else but collecting gear and not understanding why UI issues are important for live playing musicians?
And fwiw, as far as ad hominems go, glasshouse mucho, eh?
No I'm a sysadmin by day, and guitarist at night. Being a musician doesn't pay the bills in Chicago, unless you're Billy Corgan. I actually understand a lot about why UI is important, to a point. At a certain point though, the complaining becomes fruitless, and you just have to learn how to use the device. Or buy something else. Plenty people do, by getting so tired of the well-documented UI challenges with Fractal stuff, and going to something else. Vote with your money. Even Line 6 has set up something like IdeaScale, which solicits feedback, which I think is a good thing.

No one is saying you shouldn't want better. But analyzing fourth tier pieces of shit like this in favor of one element of it is just weird to me. It reminds me of the developer at my last company who used a weird vertical mouse, funky keyboard, and Enlightenment WM on Linux, because he felt it was optimal, yet suffered through all the other drawbacks.

But you do you, I guess. I'll try my best to ignore your threads from now on. Promise. I'll try.

And fwiw, shall we try to collect some posts where you're obsessing about sound details? I'm pretty positive that those outnumber mine by a huge amount.
You should do that, yes. I would love to see a list. I don't really have the time to compile a list. Though I would point out that obsessing over sound details makes a lot of sense, for something that's designed to make a sound.

and you just have to learn how to use the device.

I do that since decades. Pretty successfully even - and fwiw, if I wouldn't, my complaints about UI issues likely wouldn't be as valid (which they always are, like it or don't).

But analyzing fourth tier pieces of shit like this in favor of one element of it is just weird to me.

No, it's not weird at all. It's demonstrating that vastly better UI designs can be realized, even at way lower costs. Which is what this thread is entirely about.

Though I would point out that obsessing over sound details makes a lot of sense, for something that's designed to make a sound.

Uh-oh - I'd rather be careful with these statements.
Wouldn't you say that for something that is designed to be used (<-!), usability isn't a majorly important aspect?

And fwiw, from all I know (and it's rather likely a pretty safe bet to assume my observations to be correct), even some of the most avid Fractal users would easily pee their pants in case FAS would come up with some more elegant solutions for the onboard UIs. At least you can find them complaining about that aspect pretty much everywhere. How's that even possible? Shouldn't they just do the shut up 'n' play yer guitar thing?

Back