NMD: Taking a spin with Tonex

First thoughts are….
Software isn’t great and workflow is weird, very weird.
Factory stuff was a let down (shocker) but once I got into rolling my own cabs with the virtual IRs and captures from amalgam then it got interesting. Amalgam did some good stuff in the amps I got. Didn’t care too much for most of their cab captures so far but still in the “great hunt”. Anyway… so far it sounds good for what I need. If I can capture my cabs and amps and get close enough it’s a keeper.

I feel that for sure. Software is really clunky. Tone is there for sure. Lots of potential.

I felt like Tonex One was a bad entry point for me. I think if I had the full device it would be a lot better experience. Enough to overtake other modelers? Not sure.

After spending more time with the software it's....... ok. Biggest complaint at this point is how SLOWWWWW it operates.

Have a new plan of attack with the box. Going to shoot for 3 keeper profiles - 0A, 0B, and 0C. Will keep trying out others to see if they can dislodge one of the top 3.

Just happened yesterday. The M-Zero is gone and replaced by a Lichtlaern Prometheus.
The king is dead, long live the king!

I feel that for sure. Software is really clunky. Tone is there for sure. Lots of potential.

I felt like Tonex One was a bad entry point for me. I think if I had the full device it would be a lot better experience. Enough to overtake other modelers? Not sure.
I don’t think the ToneX is the best choice if by “modeler” you want a more “all in one” type solution. If you have some pedals and amps you’d like to use or you don’t use much in the way of effects if any, then ToneX especially for the price is worth a look for portability and silent stage scenarios.

I don’t think the ToneX is the best choice if by “modeler” you want a more “all in one” type solution. If you have some pedals and amps you’d like to use or you don’t use much in the way of effects if any, then ToneX especially for the price is worth a look for portability and silent stage scenarios.
Oh for sure. Tone X is absolutely not the best all in one

Totally agree, I'm more thinking that having to click the alt button and not having any feedback on the pedal itself outside of flashing knobs was really difficult to figure out. I think having the full Tonex with extra knobs and the little screen would be easier to figure out for a newbie as the pedal doesn't interact with the software.

The more I've been playing around with the 3 profiles the MESA is getting all the attention.
Going to try an experiment. Took the original and made 3 copies:

1. MESA OG - the version I've been using. Has the noise gate, compressor, and reverb engaged but all at zero/unity.
2. MESA MD - gate, comp, and verb all completely removed from the profile.
3. MESA RV: - same as #2 except the verb is on and set for 50% (got the Talisman but might as well check it out)

Should be interesting if there's even the slightest difference between 1 and 2.
Regardless, I learned how to take a file from the box, edit it in software, then put it back on the box! :annoying

Last edited:
Tonex hangs in an A/B with the KSR Vesta!

:pickle :pickle :pickle

20240723_180109.png

TKIDLLTK

Lichtlearn Audio Prometheus is gone and replaced with a 100 watt Bogner Helios.
Found 4 DI caps of the amp by the same user on ToneNet and one of them was pure gold!

Another YT trick I tripped over that works if your top end is too crispy/glassy.
Before cutting more treble try moving the TREB EQ FREQ in the advanced parameters from the factory default of 1.9K to 2.3K.

(y)

@Achilles what are you using for your SS amp?

I took a swing at running some of my own direct captures a while back and remember being underwhelmed. Not sure if the issue was my capture or my amp. Maybe both.

I should try again. It’d be great to make that work.

My buddy got this, and as he has the computer literacy of a 90 year old man, loaned it to me to figure out for him. The software is garbage and convoluted, but usable once you figure it out. It sounds pretty good. I was pretty impressed. This one JPC capture I found was worth the price of admission alone.

Back