The modeler conundrum in 2023

IIRC they are due in July 10th.
I SO wanna go post a question asking if anyone can tell me when the FM3's will be in stock again, and when I get the usual "soon" replies, and "no one knows," link back here!

Come to think of it, I recall seeing a potential buyer considering buying a different brand, because he's not sure how long the wait will be.

Edit: That's this thread. D'OH!

The only comparison I can make is between the Axe III and the NDSP Petrucci plugin. There are 3 things I notice in comparing the plugin to the JPIIC in the Axe: (All high gain tones, using headphones)

1) I'm trying to get my string changes to the point where there's no gap, yet there's also no overlap. And I can do it, even in fast riffs, but no matter how deliberate I am in the Axe, there's like a lingering split second of the note (much more prominent on the wound strings) that's almost like it's not letting go, on the Axe. I know it to be so, because I can play the same riff through the plugin, and it's not there. It's a sort of "mud." This is with no effects.

2) There's a fizz in the tones that seems like it's annoyingly separate in the Axe, but seems like it's a true part of the tone in the plugin. It used to drive me nuts in the Axe, so I knew I wasn't crazy in that the very first time I used the plugin, I noticed a difference.

3) This one's harder to describe, more in the context of presets I've tweaked..., the plugin can be harder to "tame." Like, I find myself being reminded much more using the plugin that I have to pay strict attention to any unwanted string noise.

These could be simply because the IR in the plugin is a bit smoother maybe, but this is using the factory presets, but without tweaking the cabs. So it could be that I still need to learn how to dial the tones in better. But it makes me want to use the plugin more often. And I don't think a listener could hear what I'm hearing in a recording, because it's subtle, and the tones are extremely close.

But it seems that these nuances can be what makes us as players, favor one platform over another.
On #2, if you would have tried the Helix stuff especially before that oversampling update; your brain would have exploded :oops:

On #2, if you would have tried the Helix stuff especially before that oversampling update; your brain would have exploded :oops:
squirrel-nuts.gif

Took your advice and downloaded the trial version of Helix Native.

Set up a dual amp patch with Comp > 1st Matchless model > 112 cab > delay (vintage solid state or something like that) > dynamic plate reverb AND comp > 1st Deluxe model >112 cab >criss cross delay > dynamic hall reverb.

Plugged in my Charvel and set it to single coil and fell in love. I think that exceeds the block capacity of the HX Stomp platform. I can dump the compressors.

Dual amp with reverb & delay on both would be my most resource hungry preset. Can the HX Stomp handle that?

I think I want the HX Stomp XL because I like the cable routing with that one best.
You've got 8 blocks on the Stomps (amp+cab can be one block) but you'll hit the DSP limit with those two full chains. However if you do a split on the amps and follow with stereo delay/reverb at the end it will work and still leave DSP for an OD or some Modulation:

Comp > (y-split) Matchless/Deluxe > Stereo Delay > Stereo Reverb

There's a setting in the plug in to limit it to the device so you can validate you can make the types of signal chains you want to run.

I SO wanna go post a question asking if anyone can tell me when the FM3's will be in stock again, and when I get the usual "soon" replies, and "no one knows," link back here!

Come to think of it, I recall seeing a potential buyer considering buying a different brand, because he's not sure how long the wait will be.

Edit: That's this thread. D'OH!

The FM3 is now available in the United States and Canada at shop.fractalaudio.com

all in all $3,225.97 taxes included, but I ordered the The Expression pedal as well, so had 2 separate import fees, which were quite high and Taxes up here in Quebec are 16% :mad:, so yeah ill be eating ramen for the next year :LOL:
But for me it was well worth the price, I absolutely love my FM9

:chef

Took your advice and downloaded the trial version of Helix Native.

Set up a dual amp patch with Comp > 1st Matchless model > 112 cab > delay (vintage solid state or something like that) > dynamic plate reverb AND comp > 1st Deluxe model >112 cab >criss cross delay > dynamic hall reverb.

Plugged in my Charvel and set it to single coil and fell in love. I think that exceeds the block capacity of the HX Stomp platform. I can dump the compressors.

Dual amp with reverb & delay on both would be my most resource hungry preset. Can the HX Stomp handle that?

I think I want the HX Stomp XL because I like the cable routing with that one best.

Stomp is going to run out of DSP. If you can handle keeping the device on the floor and just using the editing software the LT has twice the power. Just a lot bigger.

FM3 can’t do dual amps. FM9 can but not sure about dual reverbs. You likely don’t need that though.

FM9, Helix Floor, and Kemper Stage are all neck and neck IMO just with different pros and cons. None of them are desk friendly but they all have editors.

If you don’t mind taking the hit on shipping charges for a Fractal (in case you return), I would pick up an FM9 and see how you like that compared to Helix Native.

Stomp is going to run out of DSP. If you can handle keeping the device on the floor and just using the editing software the LT has twice the power. Just a lot bigger.

FM3 can’t do dual amps. FM9 can but not sure about dual reverbs. You likely don’t need that though.

FM9, Helix Floor, and Kemper Stage are all neck and neck IMO just with different pros and cons. None of them are desk friendly but they all have editors.

If you don’t mind taking the hit on shipping charges for a Fractal (in case you return), I would pick up an FM9 and see how you like that compared to Helix Native.
I don't really need all that, it just just sounded like magic. :ROFLMAO:

If I ever want to do something crazy like that I can use Helix Native, the Stomp's EFX loop with my MPX-1 or run stuff parallel with the line mixer in my rack.

I haven't tried any high end amplifiers, because I am poor. So, I wouldn't know if the modelers I have tried are accurate. All I know is that I like them! I liked my Headrush when I had it. I sold it and recently switched to software because of space constraints. I don't gid anymore anyway. But, I have a MIDI pedal controller, for just in case. Are those considered as modelers too?

The FM3 is now available in the United States and Canada at shop.fractalaudio.com
I saw that your link said they were available, tried to order and now they are not. No invite email either. I'm not sure what the scoop is now. I got on the wait list March 27th. I guess they weren't able to produce enough to clear the wait list. :cry:

I'll wait to see if I get an email. If not I guess I'll be buying something else.

I saw that your link said they were available, tried to order and now they are not. No invite email either. I'm not sure what the scoop is now. I got on the wait list March 27th. I guess they weren't able to produce enough to clear the wait list. :cry:

I'll wait to see if I get an email. If not I guess I'll be buying something else.
Odd, Availability means stock available, not attributed to what was already reserved from waitlist
:unsure:

I bought the Stomp when I sold my AX8 as a holdover until I could grab a FM3. Once I got the FM3, I've barely touched the Stomp. It's a nice device for what it is. If I played a real amp I think the Stomp is a no brainier must have box for effects given the price. But for an all in one, I much prefer the FM3.

all in all $3,225.97 taxes included, but I ordered the The Expression pedal as well, so had 2 separate import fees, which were quite high and Taxes up here in Quebec are 16%

Huh? I only left Québec 9 months ago and sales tax was 15%? Did they raise the tax rate already?

Last edited:
Back