NMD: Taking a spin with Tonex

And is that cab another capture…or so they have a set of modeled cabs to choose from?
They have IRs to choose from but you can load your own. They have their own version of IRs called VIRs but I couldn't tell you what makes them "special".

Also, allegedly DI captures are most accurate on Tone X and full captures are better on NAM.

They have IRs to choose from but you can load your own. They have their own version of IRs called VIRs but I couldn't tell you what makes them "special".

Also, allegedly DI captures are most accurate on Tone X and full captures are better on NAM.
Oh cool so I can get a capture of just my Sound City with Fanes and Bogner with Blackbacks. That would be very nice.

Oh cool so I can get a capture of just my Sound City with Fanes and Bogner with Blackbacks. That would be very nice.
Yeah it's very akin to Kemper with DIs, full chain, and then "merged" where you can remove the the cab of a full chain but tbh it doesn't divide it super well. You'd be better off just having both a DI and full chain separate

M-Zero Overdrive in the house!

20240716_164612.jpg

How does it sound?

Did you have a mzero at one point?

I have the baby brother Skill.

First impressions are pretty great. Was able to transfer the M-Zero DI files (9 high gain, 5 crunch, 4 clean) I got into the unit without having to read much at all. Same goes for editing the captures (main and ALT) and then saving. Was able to land on a great high gain patch right off the bat - needed bass reduction and some rolling off of the upper high end but other than that I pretty quickly lost about 15-20 minutes with it just jamming away and really getting off on the tone and feel.

LOVES my pedals both in front and after but honestly wasn't using much except a little EQ and delay.
Overall an extremely good first impression!

5 pickles!
:pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle :pickle

Last edited:
@Achilles are there any tones that you are looking for generally? You might just be enjoying exploration but I’m sure some of us can recommend some captures.

I’ve had great results with the amalgam audio stuff but have also found a number of IK captures that are very useful.

Whittled down the 9 high gain captures to 1 that works without a single adjustment on the box.
That's going to be the #1 hang and what I've been completely lost in for the last hour.

Everything else aside, I'm seriously blown away by the feel of this thing under the fingers.
It's got both an immediacy and bounce that gives the same tactile feel as the Skill head.

VERY impressed so far.

What are they? I bought the SDS and Amalgam stuff. I am really liking the SDS things for mixing, but the amalgam stuff for playing live

What are they? I bought the SDS and Amalgam stuff. I am really liking the SDS things for mixing, but the amalgam stuff for playing live

Boutique Tones Mezzabarba M-Zero Overdrive

Back