NMD: Taking a spin with Tonex

Oh man, that video does sound awesome! I play a seven string. Do some of the captures have a pedal in front used for high pass like a tube screamer?

Got the Tone X today so should be an weekend of exploring

(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Spent $20 each on 3 packs so far - M-Zero OD, SLO 100, Mark IIC+ - and I've gotten four perfect captures out of them.
(not looking for cleans, crunch, EOB, etc., just killer hi gain soloing tones)

1721434354969.png

4 presets - $15 each

At first glance this is a shitty value. But thinking about it, with each of my tube heads or pre-amps I usually
just end up with a fixed lead tone setting on the amp and then change things up with pedals anyway.

$400 + $60 for a piece of hardware loaded with 4 tones I could easily be happy with on a deserted island.
This actually may be the most sound MI purchase I've made in years!

:pickle :pickle :pickle

Last edited:
Spent $20 each on 3 packs so far - M-Zero OD, SLO 100, Mark IIC+ - and I've gotten four perfect captures out of them.
(not looking for cleans, crunch, EOB, etc., just killer hi gain soloing tones)

View attachment 25411

4 presets - $15 each

At first glance this is a shitty value. But thinking about it, with each of my tube heads or pre-amps I usually
just end up with a fixed lead tone setting on the amp and then change things up with pedals anyway.

$400 + $60 for a piece of hardware loaded with 4 tones I could easily be happy with on a deserted island.
This actually may be the most sound MI purchase I've made in years!

:pickle :pickle :pickle
Really happy this is working so well for you. What 2C+ pack did you grab?

Also - did you say these were primarily direct captures?

Whittled down the 9 high gain captures to 1 that works without a single adjustment on the box.
That's going to be the #1 hang and what I've been completely lost in for the last hour.

Everything else aside, I'm seriously blown away by the feel of this thing under the fingers.
It's got both an immediacy and bounce that gives the same tactile feel as the Skill head.

VERY impressed so far.
Keep it up and you’ll have to listen to me complain about the UI on my new ToneX One for a couple of weeks. ;)

Really happy this is working so well for you. What 2C+ pack did you grab?

Also - did you say these were primarily direct captures?

Almalgam, and yes, all DI.

Whelp…this thread got me interested in my Tonex again and now I just went all supermarket sweep on Amalgum’s 10 for 5.

I grabbed the essential packs for:
Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+
Fender Brown Deluxe
1969 Marshall Superlead 100
Marshall JCM800 2203
Mesa Triple Rectifier
1966 Fender Bassman
1965 Fender Super Reverb
Matchless DC30
1964 Vox AC30 Top Boost
Friedman BE100

Haven’t had an opportunity to load them into Tonex yet but I’m so excited to play with these. I’ve had a couple free captures from Amalgam in the past and they were all amongst the top of anything I’d tried.

Almalgam, and yes, all DI.

Don't forget Amalgam has some free stuff on tonenet. Boutique tones also has 2 free packs downloadable from their website called btfree 1 and 2.

I just figured out how to use Tonenet and sort for DI only and by most liked and downloaded.

Got some Ecstasy stuff I need to go check out. (y)

Whelp…this thread got me interested in my Tonex again and now I just went all supermarket sweep on Amalgum’s 10 for 5.

I grabbed the essential packs for:
Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+
Fender Brown Deluxe
1969 Marshall Superlead 100
Marshall JCM800 2203
Mesa Triple Rectifier
1966 Fender Bassman
1965 Fender Super Reverb
Matchless DC30
1964 Vox AC30 Top Boost
Friedman BE100

Haven’t had an opportunity to load them into Tonex yet but I’m so excited to play with these. I’ve had a couple free captures from Amalgam in the past and they were all amongst the top of anything I’d tried.
If you're into the Marshall thing, there's a few under my profile scoob701, you might like. (The depth control does wonders) Otherwise I love studiorats Marshall stuff.

Last edited:
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

FWIW: I have that pack and an SLO30. I think those caps suck, TBH. Maybe my input gain is borked or something.

For SLO sounds on ToneX I have one by Kemosawbee that is my go to, IIRC.

In general, amalgam does not seem to get high gain stuff to me, I bought some of these on a promo and the mid gain stuff is great but I don’t think a single high gain cap resonated with me.

I have that pack and an SLO30. I think those caps suck.

The fact I only found one perfect high gain capture from the entire pack tells ya something, although my situation is a bit unique.
My room is only 10' x 11' and I play at lower volumes. through a compact 1 x 12.

I'd imagine most of the settings used on the amps for high gain DI captures have the controls assuming a 4 x 12 in a larger space.
90% of the captures I've tried so far have too much low end and a weird mid to them - based on my personal monitoring.

Be willing to bet my 4 'perfect' captures would sound like shit on your particular system.

Plus, I'm convinced my hearing hasn't fully recovered from the recent health issues, and it wasn't very good to begin with.

But in Almagam's defense, that pack gets raves from every corner of the internet - so what do we know?

Last edited:
I’ve heard the IK Mesa pack is really good especially for rectifier tones. I don’t want to give IK any more money.

What captures are you guys using for higher gain Mesa Mark/Rectifier tones?

First thoughts are….
Software isn’t great and workflow is weird, very weird.
Factory stuff was a let down (shocker) but once I got into rolling my own cabs with the virtual IRs and captures from amalgam then it got interesting. Amalgam did some good stuff in the amps I got. Didn’t care too much for most of their cab captures so far but still in the “great hunt”. Anyway… so far it sounds good for what I need. If I can capture my cabs and amps and get close enough it’s a keeper.

Back