NMD: NDSP Quad Cortex

The QC UI drove me crazy in some ways and I didn’t find it any better than anything else out there for creating presets. And I found it far worse for performing.

And I was so disappointed in the models in my mind it doesn’t do both modeling and Captures, it only does Captures. And the fact there is no real 3rd party market for those makes them very limited in usefulness for me.

If every modeler on the planet cost the same amount it would easily be my last choice. I would take a TMP over one any day

Hey, where's your 10th new Kemper thread, so I can piss in that, too? :hmm :rofl

Excuse Me What GIF

I'm going to assume this is coming from a place of having been comfortable with everything else prior to getting the QC? It's FAR AND AWAY the most plug and play/user friendly device on the market for a newbie to modeling.

Maybe so. Every device out there seems simple enough to me that it’s kind of a wash. They’re all simple enough to not be a consideration.

After spending the 90’s programming Roland drums nothing phases me anymore :rofl

You said you almost kept it....why did you get rid of it ?
well that is not a simple answer , there were a number of factors
you have to keep in mind , I got in at the very beginning paid in advance was 1st tier , the release was basically stating there would be a ton of models , that were removed, no editor , no hybrid mode for switching , I could not even get auto engage on the wah . so it was very limited in terms of User features . it was also supposed to ship in September and shipped the following March

But , the main reasons , I guess were all the stuff that was missing , the Wifi issues connecting the ground hum , the company attitude in general
I think it soured the experience , also the Cloud capture sharing was a nightmare and total mess to sort through back then at launch , no meta date or search functions

I had an FM3 sitting beside it and it by far had the better effects and I just had more faith In Fractal I guess .

That said , if they come out with a Dual Cortex one path 8 block slightly smaller version , that works with editor , loads their plug ins and has redesigned power supply . I would be interested , that's how good the Freidman model was

Last edited:
I always found myself one off on some of the knob adjustments for some reason

This is actually why I think footswitch encoders will not be a part of the “perfect” on device UI.

The QC is miles the best for on-device editing, but the best implementation will be with that touchscreen, but a couple rows of small endless encoders directly under it, that line up directly under the parameters youre tweaking onscreen. It will require the unit to be a bit taller, but will be perfect. Then you don’t have to deal with erroneous parameter changes because the foot switch encoders don’t line up with the screen.

And the TMP method of using scribble strips is not any better. Because instead of looking at the screen and then moving your hand to what encoder you think it matches to (like the QC) now you have to change your field of vision from the screen and do a couple horizontal scans reading each scribble scrips text to find the one you want to change. Anything taking your focus off the screen while editing is undesirable.

Yes, we’re talking seconds, but it does add up to something.

The perfect device will be something close to the QC, a bit taller to add the knobs under the screen, removing the shit-hand-foot-mouth encoders, and w/ scribble strips. (Which will be there only to show scene/stomp/presets names when stomping on it on the ground.)

@Whizzinby do you find the fractal UI appalling still. The QC is better but I can get a present set up within the same timeframe via the front panel of the Axe Fx.

@Whizzinby do you find the fractal UI appalling still. The QC is better but I can get a present set up within the same timeframe via the front panel of the Axe Fx.

The on device editing is a shit show. It’s not that difficult to learn the basics, but any time you are forced to memorize a nonsensical button command to do something, it’s not a good UI. I forced myself to learn to build a patch from scratch as part of my doomsday preparedness plan, but now I exclusively use AxeEdit. :ROFLMAO:

It’s bizarre though, because i resisted buying a Frac because I thought I would find the UI so terrible compared to the QC that I would hate the device overall and sell it. Now that I own one I’m of the opinion that it sounds so badass that who gives a shit about the on-device UI, nobody is perfect. :LOL:

This is actually why I think footswitch encoders will not be a part of the “perfect” on device UI.

The QC is miles the best for on-device editing, but the best implementation will be with that touchscreen, but a couple rows of small endless encoders directly under it, that line up directly under the parameters youre tweaking onscreen. It will require the unit to be a bit taller, but will be perfect. Then you don’t have to deal with erroneous parameter changes because the foot switch encoders don’t line up with the screen.

And the TMP method of using scribble strips is not any better. Because instead of looking at the screen and then moving your hand to what encoder you think it matches to (like the QC) now you have to change your field of vision from the screen and do a couple horizontal scans reading each scribble scrips text to find the one you want to change. Anything taking your focus off the screen while editing is undesirable.

The perfect device will be something close to the QC, a bit taller to add the knobs under the screen, removing the shit-hand-foot-mouth encoders, and w/ scribble strips. (Which will be there only to show scene/stomp/presets names when stomping on it on the ground.)
Going further with this approach, you'll probably want encoders above the touchscreen as well, to keep horizontal spacing comfortable and to better leverage the height of the touchscreen in edit mode. (If you look at QC and TMP, both have two rows of encoders.)

P.S. I think you guys shit on your modelers too much. ;)

The issue is often this:

Modeler screen.png

For example on Fractal the screen is slightly too narrow horizontally to allow the knobs under the screen to align with the labels perfectly. Kemper's solution to the problem is quite effective - showing lines from each knob that then translate to its on-screen control position.

I agree the QC/TMP method is not ideal due to the distance to the controls, but you can learn muscle memory to be able to map them pretty well to what is going on screen. And it does allow for a lot of encoders in a relatively compact device which is always a plus in my book. Plus there is no issue with the controls having to be quite cramped due to the screen size.

The issue is often this:

View attachment 14598

For example on Fractal the screen is slightly too narrow horizontally to allow the knobs under the screen to align with the labels perfectly. Kemper's solution to the problem is quite effective - showing lines from each knob that then translate to its on-screen control position.

I agree the QC/TMP method is not ideal due to the distance to the controls, but you can learn muscle memory to be able to map them pretty well to what is going on screen. And it does allow for a lot of encoders in a relatively compact device which is always a plus in my book. Plus there is no issue with the controls having to be quite cramped due to the screen size.

Yeah obviously this perfect Ui will require a screen and/or encoder size that lines up perfectly. The top pic nails it.

We can all dream. :ROFLMAO:

It's just funny that in one thread the discussion is backup guitars in order to salvage paying gigs and in this one the problem of the day is improper pixel placement.

:crazy

The issue is often this:

View attachment 14598

NDSP almost got it , if they had moved the volume knob to the right side and pushed the screen a bit further left they would have landed them lined up

Back