Quad Cortex (A Love Story) Round 2

Whizzinby

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Curiosity got the better of the me now that they’ve released a few significant updates since I last owned it. Plugged nose and all.

funny videos fail GIF

Had it for a couple days now, but only able to put a handful of hours back into it so far.

Quick thoughts:
  • The wireless/cloud capabilities are just badass. All of my IRs and presets were already loaded into my cloud account from the first time I owned the thing, so when I logged into the device I was able to redownload everything within about 30 seconds.
  • IR loader block. This should have been at launch. The old method of loading them was ridiculous and nonsensical having to add a cab block, manually load the IRs to the block one by one, then using the mic selector arrows to toggle between them. (And this process was required every time you created a new preset) The IR block pretty much eliminates all this by having everything auto loaded, I’m scrolling all the York Mix 01’s in seconds not minutes. Good job Daryl!
  • The native cab block is still great, though I wish they would have standardized the mics they used for each cab. They vary some between cabs which is mildly annoying. (And they still need an auto-level feature in it so when you load the second mic it doesn’t goose the volume)
  • The Kraken model is pretty good from my initial tire kicking. Haven’t tried the other new amps or effects yet.
  • Royce Whittaker’s (The Midnight) presets are dope. You can inject 80’s styled ambient cleans directly into my veins. Heroes8p is a fantastic preset, and I’m not sure how any of it is possible with 37 different blocks of chorus, verb and delay.
  • The UI is still great. You only truly appreciate it after using ToneX and the on-device editor in the GM800.

Paging @mbenigni , I may need Geek Squad support integrating the GM800 with it. :ROFLMAO:

QC + GM800, a match made in hell.

Curious if the editor beta will drop during the return window, or what the plug-in reveal this month will be. (Neural Decoder Ring ready, but I guessing first batch will be 2024 after the editor leaves beta)
Toking Mash Up GIF

Will be interested to see how this plays out!

I identify as "QC Curious" myself. Not willing to shell out for it yet but maybe someday.

I do really like the NDSP plugins. They aren't super versatile and are stupid in their silos, but when they are the right sound it's great with minimal tweaking.

Im going to use @Whizzinby thread to hide my own shame and say I too am giving the QC another spin.

Ain't nann wrong with it, fellas. No shame at all. I'm not there, but I totally get it. Lots of aspects of that device are hella cool, and I'd be able to get by on it just fine. Ultimately, I just don't see what I'd be gaining if I left behind the FM9 right now.

I reserve the right to change my mind, but I'm glad y'all are dipping your toes back in.

Ultimately, I just don't see what I'd be gaining if I left behind the FM9 right now.
If I had to just pick one digital device it would be my Axe FX no doubt.

However, the QC does have features and tonal qualities that fractal doesn't (for good or bad). Variety is the spice of life or somesuch

Noice!

Have they improved the IR loading procedure? I fucking hated the hoops you had to jump through Cortex Cloud to do that back in the day.

If I had to just pick one digital device it would be my Axe FX no doubt.

However, the QC does have features and tonal qualities that fractal doesn't (for good or bad). Variety is the spice of life or somesuch

There are definitely different features, and it's fun as hell to build fresh presets on the fly on that thing. Not sure about the tonal qualities for my ears, aside from finding some of the captures had a low-end ooomph to them that I didn't quite get in any models on-unit or elsewhere. I would be EQing that out of any live or studio mix, regardless. I will say I miss the captures from Headfirst Amplification, that Aussie builder who does all of the modded Marshalls. Man, he provided sick-sounding and abundant content for the QC cloud.....

Noice!

Have they improved the IR loading procedure? I fucking hated the hoops you had to jump through Cortex Cloud to do that back in the day.

Mine were already loaded up from the first time around. I still think you have to load them to the cloud first, then download to the device.

What’s radically improved is actually using them. lol The loader block has significantly improved using them, because you don’t have to do that stupid dance of loading them one by one, per preset, into the main cab block, then scroll via the mic arrows. You just drop the loader into the grid, and the IR’s are already loaded and you just arrow through them.

Such a basic QOL feature, but dramatically improves the process. Preset building was already a strength on the QC, but this streamlined it even further.

I identify as "QC Curious" myself. Not willing to shell out for it yet but maybe someday.

It's a textbook on missed opportunities, IMHO. The thing works, and it can be made to sound great, but we're almost 3 years past launch and it's still half-baked on so many areas.

The core sounds are pretty damn good, though. If what the unit offers today works for you, you'll love the QC.

PS: Beware of buying used; the QC's warranty is explicitly not transferable on second-hand units 😥 Though NDSP seems to be making an exception at this point in time. John Cordy recently uploaded a video discussing this.

Back