NMD: NDSP Quad Cortex

Other manufacturers have released products more recent than QC already (as we love to point out; QC ain't getting any younger), without coming close to meeting or exceeding QC's usability. (IMO, YMMV, and other internet fine print applies.)
I think we've reached a point where the sound quality between hardware (and even plugins) is very small. I can't imagine fractal releasing the Axe Fx 4 and the major selling point is accuracy or better tones because if anything you are looking at such a minimal upgrade in that department and you know some people will say "the III sounded better".

So it boils down to other areas such as UI, company support, effects (quality and quantity), etc. so I agree, I don't see a new hardware unit making the QC obsolete in terms of tone or UI.

NDSP really just had to do the most basic marketing campaign and they'd be in such a better spot 😂

I think we've reached a point where the sound quality between hardware (and even plugins) is very small. I can't imagine fractal releasing the Axe Fx 4 and the major selling point is accuracy or better tones because if anything you are looking at such a minimal upgrade in that department and you know some people will say "the III sounded better".
Agree, except for the fact that I still can't manage to make HX amps/cabs sound as good as QC or FAS. This is highly anecdotal, though, and I wouldn't rule out arguments that I'm "listening with my eyes" and other gear forum clichés. :D

Or maybe this milk isn't fresh enough?

NDSP really just had to do the most basic marketing campaign and they'd be in such a better spot 😂
NDSP would have been better off doing literally no marketing, and letting the QC sell on word of mouth - according to what it actually was at any given point in time. All that bullshit about what was allegedly coming "S O O N" was... S O O-icide? ;)

This refrain comes up pretty often. But it's not a given that the "newest stuff" from the competition will better QC in terms of the QC's own strengths.

Fractal has pretty clearly stated that UI isn't a priority relative to furthering amp and FX modeling, citing finite resources. (And I totally respect that, even if it tends to position FAS squarely in the "not my bag" column.)

Other manufacturers have released products more recent than QC already (as we love to point out; QC ain't getting any younger), without coming close to meeting or exceeding QC's usability. (IMO, YMMV, and other internet fine print applies.)

Line 6 is the wildcard here. Much of the QC's UI looks similar to HX UI (and was arguably cribbed from HX UI), so Line 6 will surely understand the concepts and objectives very well. Add a touchscreen and maybe (gasp) some WiFi functionality, and the next gen Helix product could take a lead in this area. But there's no predicting timeline, pricing, form factor... or what that product will actually sound like.

Data point: Three years with a Quad Cortex and it's still the only one I've never thought about selling. :idk
Fractal pretty much has to overhaul their UI stuff for their next gen products. It's one of the few things where they aren't the top dog already.

I expect Line6 will still do it better, or they will go in some different direction that we don't anticipate here. "More powerful Helix with a touchscreen" is not necessarily that exciting, and I totally expect Line6 to reach further than imitating their competition.

The competition have already chipped away at many of the QC's unique features. Movable mic cab sims are now available on Line6/Fractal, captures have become much cheaper thanks to Tonex, NAM and even the Kemper Player. Headrush Prime does both modeling and captures, but I wouldn't say it plays in the same category as the QC. Fender Tone Master Pro is similar for onboard usability.

As a counterpoint, for me it's "3 years since selling the QC, and still not considering buying another one." I'm disappointed that is the case because it has a lot of potential but I just don't see NeuralDSP realising it until the competition has caught up.

They’d also be better off by releasing more than three amps in 13 months. :ROFLMAO:

The device could be a monster, but they aren’t achieving much of anything. If they were aggressively dropping new QC content and the plugs were on the back burner, fine. If the plugs were ported and they were playing catch-up on native content, fine. They have managed to fumbledick both. It’s a testament to the potential of the device that I still give a shit. Fractal isn’t dropping a touch screen any time soon and Line 6 is probably developing a $50 Mini Express One pedal that “we”are not the “customers” for. (Wink wink)

Fractal pretty much has to overhaul their UI stuff for their next gen products. It's one of the few things where they aren't the top dog already.
Yes, and this is an even taller order than the word "overhaul" suggests at first glance. FAS would need a rethink from top to bottom: from a CEO that has never prioritized UI/UX, down to designers and developers who would need to refresh their skillsets and approach things from a completely different aesthetic. Oh, and then there's the small matter of a hardware redesign. Plus you need to thread a needle and somehow manage all of this without alienating the hardcore customer base who loves things as they are. I'm... not holding my breath.

I expect Line6 will still do it better, or they will go in some different direction that we don't anticipate here. "More powerful Helix with a touchscreen" is not necessarily that exciting, and I totally expect Line6 to reach further than imitating their competition.
Well, in and of itself, a touchscreen doesn't fix anything any more than a non-touch screen does. It's how you use it. (No jokes from the peanut gallery, please.)

The competition have already chipped away at many of the QC's unique features. Movable mic cab sims are now available on Line6/Fractal, captures have become much cheaper thanks to Tonex, NAM and even the Kemper Player. Headrush Prime does both modeling and captures, but I wouldn't say it plays in the same category as the QC.
These are all examples where the competition has taken on a specific feature, but not really achieved that sweetspot where things sound really good really easily. (Admittedly, "sounding good" is subjective.) ToneX, NAM, Kemper player are all different classes of product entirely, with different levels of UI/UX ranging from "cost-effective" all the way down through "hostile". :D

Fender Tone Master Pro is similar for onboard usability.
2dmk14.jpg

Last edited:
They’d also be better off by releasing more than three amps in 13 months. :ROFLMAO:

The device could be a monster, but they aren’t achieving much of anything. If they were aggressively dropping new QC content and the plugs were on the back burner, fine. If the plugs were ported and they were playing catch-up on native content, fine. They have managed to fumbledick both. It’s a testament to the potential of the device that I still give a shit. Fractal isn’t dropping a touch screen any time soon and Line 6 is probably developing a $50 Mini Express One pedal that “we”are not the “customers” for. (Wink wink)
Don't get me wrong; I do wish NDSP would drop a QC Spring Reverb, throw some ducking (not a spellchecker correction, for once) parameters on everything, add a few wah pedals, maybe an amp I can pretend to tell apart from the other amps... and oh by the way don't fucking charge me for any of this because:

b06e92a7-19be-47e4-b0ca-abf1ce6fa139_text.gif

It's a testament to the potential current functionality of the device that I don't really give a damn, and continue to use it daily; whereas turning on the FM3 and determining why I'm supposed to like it so much better still feels like "something I should really get around to..."

I lost all faith in NDSP. At least I got it out of my system and will know to ignore similar hype and bullshit marketing tactics in the future. Should've just bought the FM9 back then :bag Next time I will read the manual before buying shit so I can see if the company actually knows how their own hardware is supposed to work.

I’ve been seeing more complaints lately about the limitations of the QC footswitches, including some saying they’re selling it because of that.

If we want to talk “UI” and “usability” we can’t leave out live performance features and this is still where the QC is far behind the competition.

Pretty much everything has it beat in terms of UI and usability for live performance

Just chiming in here: the L6 trajectory the HX One sparked is now pulling me straight towards a Helix Floor, possibly even today. :love

Have you tried the HX Effects? If you aren’t using amp modeling and are integrating with other effects that may be a better way to go.

Have you tried the HX Effects? If you aren’t using amp modeling and are integrating with other effects that may be a better way to go.

Yes, the HXFX was my gateway drug into all things digital. Used it for 2-3 years in 4cm with my amp.

Also, I’m still using amp models at home, but more as a fun side-thing.

Back