Layoffs / Finding Jobs (UPDATE: NEW JOB!)

I have been getting emails from LinkedIn about job searches I keep showing up in. They suggested that I flip the setting that says I am open to new jobs and that I would start getting contacts from recruiters. This thread has me really thinking of doing it. I know I have a future at the current place I work for that will run at least two or three years, but not seeing what may be there after that. I know more will materialize as time goes. I saw a local company that I showed up in their results and there are 4 people working there that used to work with me where I am at. Part of me says to do it. I have nothing to lose. This thread has me thinking I should think about it.

Accepted the offer at my preferred company, they were really excited and wanted to move quickly and so did I. It's easily a company I could see working at for the next 10+ years or finish out my career. Lots of opportunities because it's bigger and more mature than my current company and they are very focused on career growth to retain good employees.

Going to a holiday party at my company today, then will reach out to my manager to put in my resignation notice. I feel a little bad because they are going to be really screwed, but it's 100% on them in terms of how they handled the situation. So many really good people were let go and they didn't even bother communicating to everyone what was happening. I'm still notifying people that my manager was terminated weeks ago.

This has been a really interesting thread now! It's crazy to go back and read in real time what was happening and how quickly everything moved.
Congrats! Sounds like you landed on both feet running!! Can't ask for a better outcome!!!

Congratulations @Jarick!! Good luck with your new career. Things happen for a reason and usually for the better even though they may not seem like it at the time.

Accepted the offer at my preferred company, they were really excited and wanted to move quickly and so did I. It's easily a company I could see working at for the next 10+ years or finish out my career. Lots of opportunities because it's bigger and more mature than my current company and they are very focused on career growth to retain good employees.

Going to a holiday party at my company today, then will reach out to my manager to put in my resignation notice. I feel a little bad because they are going to be really screwed, but it's 100% on them in terms of how they handled the situation. So many really good people were let go and they didn't even bother communicating to everyone what was happening. I'm still notifying people that my manager was terminated weeks ago.

This has been a really interesting thread now! It's crazy to go back and read in real time what was happening and how quickly everything moved.
Congrats! That's a really great outcome in a year with a lot of layoffs in various industries globally.

Update in case anyone’s curious,

I started the new job this week and it’s been a roller coaster. I’ve got anxiety disorder which means I’m more prone to anxiety than most, and that’s definitely been high for much of the week. I think a big part of that is due to change, and leaving a company after nearly 20 years to go to a brand new place is about as big a change as it gets for me.

I also have to go into the office 2-3 times per week, which wasn’t really well communicated in the interview process. So that’s a big shift as I’ve been fully remote for nearly four years. Also I have almost no down time during the day which is the complete opposite of my old job where I was idle for a lot of time.

Still, the people there are super nice and helpful. Everyone likes the management which is good. Most people have been there for 25 years so there’s going to be challenges in being new. But I also should have some perspective from the outside. There’s a ton of opportunities at the company as well and a great culture for career development instead of sitting in one position forever.

Anyways my brain is completely shot by the end of the day, between rapid intake of knowledge and dealing with anxiety/nerves. I picked up a guitar for the first time in a week for a little bit today, but have barely done anything outside of work/parenting/coaching. Basically I get home, eat, then veg out with a video game or book or something.

So apologies if I don’t post much, it’s going to likely be a big transition for me mentally. I’m sure six months from now I will look back at this as a fantastic change and one that was long overdue. Honestly I think a lot of my gear splurges over the last year or two were unhealthy outcomes as a result of boredom and frustration. Hopefully this challenge will give me a lot more fulfillment from a professional standpoint and let me really appreciate my home time even further.

I started the new job this week and it’s been a roller coaster. I’ve got anxiety disorder which means I’m more prone to anxiety than most, and that’s definitely been high for much of the week. I think a big part of that is due to change, and leaving a company after nearly 20 years to go to a brand new place is about as big a change as it gets for me.

I also have to go into the office 2-3 times per week, which wasn’t really well communicated in the interview process. So that’s a big shift as I’ve been fully remote for nearly four years. Also I have almost no down time during the day which is the complete opposite of my old job where I was idle for a lot of time.

Still, the people there are super nice and helpful. Everyone likes the management which is good. Most people have been there for 25 years so there’s going to be challenges in being new. But I also should have some perspective from the outside. There’s a ton of opportunities at the company as well and a great culture for career development instead of sitting in one position forever.

Anyways my brain is completely shot by the end of the day, between rapid intake of knowledge and dealing with anxiety/nerves. I picked up a guitar for the first time in a week for a little bit today, but have barely done anything outside of work/parenting/coaching. Basically I get home, eat, then veg out with a video game or book or something.

So apologies if I don’t post much, it’s going to likely be a big transition for me mentally. I’m sure six months from now I will look back at this as a fantastic change and one that was long overdue. Honestly I think a lot of my gear splurges over the last year or two were unhealthy outcomes as a result of boredom and frustration. Hopefully this challenge will give me a lot more fulfillment from a professional standpoint and let me really appreciate my home time even further.
That sounds pretty normal for a new job. Since I'm a consultant, I get to do this every 1-3 years or so by getting hired by a new client.

At first all the jargon will seem very unfamiliar, you are trying to remember the names of all the people you meet, get spammed with all the calendar invites, credentials, procedures etc.

You can expect to have some feelings of impostor syndrome too but those will also go away over time. You might also feel you need to prove your worth, prove you are as good as they thought when they hired you etc.

In a month or so you are probably settled in and it starts to feel much less hectic as you get into the daily routine.

That sounds pretty normal for a new job. Since I'm a consultant, I get to do this every 1-3 years or so by getting hired by a new client.

At first all the jargon will seem very unfamiliar, you are trying to remember the names of all the people you meet, get spammed with all the calendar invites, credentials, procedures etc.

You can expect to have some feelings of impostor syndrome too but those will also go away over time. You might also feel you need to prove your worth, prove you are as good as they thought when they hired you etc.

In a month or so you are probably settled in and it starts to feel much less hectic as you get into the daily routine.
This is super helpful and reassuring, thanks!

Congrats on getting started at the new place! I think laxu hit it on the head and I, as a consultant, have been through the same many times. I initially feel intimidated when working with a new client (or new job) and after a month or two, you get into a routine and things run smooth (or as smooth as can be expected)!! You got this and certainly rest your mind and enjoy your family each day, way more important than some blokes on a screen ;~))

Good for you! IMO, change is good regardless of outcome. It either reinforces the feelings you are where you need to be, or reinforces that this isn't the place for you. Keep you chin up and congratulations on starting a new career at a new place!!

Congrats, Jarick! Change sure is stressful. But stress in the right amounts can be healthy for us.
Makes us smarter, more adaptable, and more confident that we can roll with life. Also keeps us
from getting stale and stagnant and being content with not good enough.

Happy for you and your family! :beer

Another update,

Had a rough couple weeks but think I’m on the other side of it. I was named project manager for a project with a lot of members and our most important client but have never done that before and wasn’t expecting to do that work. Was really stressful and couldn’t eat or sleep. Hit the point I was regretting this decision big time.

But I asked my manager for some help and one of my teammates is mentoring me through it. So far everyone says I’m doing great but definitely have worked through confidence crisis and imposter syndrome.

Now I’m starting to figure things out and understand a little bit. I’ve met with almost everyone and the client and so far so good. It’s getting easier each day but still fighting nerves and overthinking.

At this point I’m kind of realizing that it’s likely all natural reaction to change and this is what creates growth. I was really bored in my old job even though I was super comfortable. That’s why I was always posting here and buying tons of crap I don’t need. Now I’m focused on learning this new role and being my typical overachiever self.

Still not sure this is what I’ll want to do long term but hey that’s life right?

Anyways just thought I’d drop a line as I haven’t been on much lately.

Another update,

Had a rough couple weeks but think I’m on the other side of it. I was named project manager for a project with a lot of members and our most important client but have never done that before and wasn’t expecting to do that work. Was really stressful and couldn’t eat or sleep. Hit the point I was regretting this decision big time.

But I asked my manager for some help and one of my teammates is mentoring me through it. So far everyone says I’m doing great but definitely have worked through confidence crisis and imposter syndrome.

Now I’m starting to figure things out and understand a little bit. I’ve met with almost everyone and the client and so far so good. It’s getting easier each day but still fighting nerves and overthinking.

At this point I’m kind of realizing that it’s likely all natural reaction to change and this is what creates growth. I was really bored in my old job even though I was super comfortable. That’s why I was always posting here and buying tons of crap I don’t need. Now I’m focused on learning this new role and being my typical overachiever self.

Still not sure this is what I’ll want to do long term but hey that’s life right?

Anyways just thought I’d drop a line as I haven’t been on much lately.
It is good that you are getting to learn something new. Project management is a field on the rise and has been for a little while now. I am a resource manager by day. I am pretty comfortable in the role and have a pretty good team. I was asked to take over management of a big project about 5 years ago when the PM working it left. I was the only other person that knew what was going on with the project since it involved my systems and team. It was a huge project with an impossible timeline, like all of our projects. I was able to bring it in on time. That impressed some people. They have had me managing at least one project on top of my normal job ever since. I honestly don't like project management. It is a glorified babysitting job IMHO. We also have a lot of paperwork involved that I don't like doing. I kind of just refuse to do that part. I am more of a tactical thinker and all of that overhead drives me nuts. I don't see the value in it. Hopefully they are doing things better where you are and it is a positive experience. It is something that many businesses are putting more effort into.

Last edited:
Back