This might be the end of digital for me

metropolis_4

Shredder
I’m running into a problem I’ve never had before:

I bought a TMP and found I couldn’t install the editor to load my IRS because my OS is too old and not supported.

I bought a Kemper and found I’m not able to install the latest version of Rig Manager with liquid profile support for the same reason.

Every job I’ve had in the past 10 years has provided a MacBook Pro that I’ve been allowed to use for personal stuff so I haven’t bothered to buy a computer since 2011. Current company just changed policy and I can no longer install software for personal use.

I have no other use for a laptop or desktop, so now I have to decide: is using a modeler worth spending another $1000 - $2000 to be able to use it?

I bought a TMP and found I couldn’t install the editor to load my IRS because my OS is too old and not supported.

I bought a Kemper and found I’m not able to install the latest version of Rig Manager with liquid profile support for the same reason.

Every job I’ve had in the past 10 years has provided a MacBook Pro that I’ve been allowed to use for personal stuff so I haven’t bothered to buy a computer since 2011. Current company just changed policy and I can no longer install software for personal use.

I have no other use for a laptop or desktop, so now I have to decide: is using a modeler worth spending another $1000 - $2000 to be able to use it?
Seriously, a computer is the better investment than a TMP or other modeler. The computer CAN be your modeler if you want.

Just buy a $300 Windows laptop on Amazon or a used one on FB marketplace for $100. It will be last years model, but will do everything you need it to do for the next 10-20 years. You don't need an expensive Mac to do that job.

$1000? If you are just using it for basic stuff like controlling a usb device (modeler) you shouldn’t need to spend anywhere near that.

D

you’re inflating this problem. A computer that can run sufficiently new OS to run modeler editors is no where near $1k, even if you want a Mac, and even if you want to do some basic recording with it.

Could you do something like a separate user account for personal use on your work Mac? Or is it locked down by remote admin rules or something?

Just buy a $300 Windows laptop on Amazon or a used one on FB marketplace for $100. It will be last years model, but will do everything you need it to do for the next 10-20 years. You don't need an expensive Mac to do that job.

This. I had to get my wife a laptop over the summer to bridge the gap until she got new work hardware and I bought her a $250 laptop on Amazon that she used before repurposing for my sons school activities. For basic day to day usage you don’t really need some uber expensive machine.

Buy a cheap laptop for you desktop editors. (And spend an hour or two cleaning up the bloatware on it) I don’t see why you’d need anything fancy to run a editor here or there.

8271b910e56db46f061761b6f30208c043958f614c3a52840703e434811bda8b.jpg

Welp, time for a new company
I'd probably do that over something like this. I'm so used to being in full control of my computer and being able to pick the tools I want to use.

In one project I had a client laptop (mainly to access their local network services) which was locked down, preventing any internet downloads. So I figured out that I could instead put software on a USB stick and install it normally (so much for security!), allowing me to have some of the software that I needed to do the job I was hired for. Company policies built around "everyone is a near computer-illiterate user who needs nothing but MS Office" does not work when you are supposed to build multimillion euro software projects.

Back