Layoffs / Finding Jobs (UPDATE: NEW JOB!)

That’s killer feedback thanks!

Yeah I’ve typically been the person on projects figuring out how to do things and executing the work rather than PM. I don’t like the admin stuff as much. But it’s good to build the skill.

I'll just keep on updating because it will be fun to read the journey someday.

Week started off with me feeling like I was again drowning in work and in over my head. I put in a lot of time preparing and had to lead multiple calls, getting butterflies each time. But once they were underway things went really smooth.

Got a lot of great feedback so far, my boss is very happy with my work realizing I jumped into a massive project right away. Also had feedback from a coworker that people outside our department have been impressed so far and I even got complimented on seeming "very polished" which is something I've never heard before!

Today I had to lead our team in a presentation to a senior director to the first time and honestly felt like we nailed it. Got again very positive feedback from everyone.

So basically I'm bumbling my way through project management and it seems to be going well and I'm getting more comfortable. That makes me feel more confident about going into more unknowns.

Glad to hear it's going well for you Jarick.

With project management, all the hard work is upfront (like development and design) and "herding cats". Then it's just status, financial tracking and validation.

I've turned down several jobs thus far, but good overall interview practice. But I'm getting a little stir crazy.

I've been getting projects done around the house - but it's a little meh from the excitement of what I'm used to.

Honestly, if this house was 100% paid for I'd just call it and retire because my wife has a really good gig. But I'd like to stay ahead of schedule on the payoff of the mortgage, so I need to get back at it for another couple of years then decide if I want to wrap it up or what I'm willing to tolerate....LOL

Maybe when I retire I'll do something completely different and go work for a buddy operating a bull dozer or a backhoe and tear stuff up for money for a bit - seems like good therapy :rofl

Glad to hear it's going well for you Jarick.

With project management, all the hard work is upfront (like development and design) and "herding cats". Then it's just status, financial tracking and validation.

I've turned down several jobs thus far, but good overall interview practice. But I'm getting a little stir crazy.

I've been getting projects done around the house - but it's a little meh from the excitement of what I'm used to.

Honestly, if this house was 100% paid for I'd just call it and retire because my wife has a really good gig. But I'd like to stay ahead of schedule on the payoff of the mortgage, so I need to get back at it for another couple of years then decide if I want to wrap it up or what I'm willing to tolerate....LOL

Maybe when I retire I'll do something completely different and go work for a buddy operating a bull dozer or a backhoe and tear stuff up for money for a bit - seems like good therapy :rofl

Yeah I totally get what you're saying!

The first two weeks I'm trying to meet with like 20 different people for stakeholder interviews, which is a fancy way of me just getting to know them and listening to all of their concerns and goals and what not. Then they all kind of buy into me a little, and now I've got a small army of people who trust me at least a little bit. Then setting up what seemed like 50 meetings, which sucks with calendars always being blocked.

We're getting into technical discussions to understand requirements which isn't bad because I sit back and listen to the experts talk while I take a ton of notes and figure out the action items/next steps. I'm starting to get comfortable enough to make suggestions which are being received well. And once we get into a cadence of work, then it'll be a lot easier to just kind of manage them week to week. I think, anyways.

I'm building a lot of skills too. I kind of have some soft skills already just having worked for decades, and I seem to have a half decent ability to fake it until I know what's going on apparently. But I have never been a big Powerpoint guy and I'm learning how to really effectively make presentations and thoughtfully plan out each meeting. Those should all transfer to whatever I do next.

Plus now that I'm not spinning my mental wheels all day long, I have a lot more free time through the day and I'm building a bunch of reports in Power BI which is something I'm more interested at doing. I could see pivoting back into that type of reporting and analytics work in the future. That was never something that was part of the job but because there are so few Power BI resources in the company and I had that on my resume, they got really excited for me to help with that work.

All that said, there's definitely a part of me that wants to chill out on the brain work and just do something easy. But I have 25 years until retirement, so it's a long ways off lol.

Back