Hot Sauce/Hot Pepper Heads

spawnofthesith

Shredder
Where my spice fiends at? Lets talk sauces, make em eat em whatever.

I love making my own, but I like trying them all. Perhaps more "generic" than what I usually go for but my most recent obsession has been Tobasco's scorpion pepper sauce. Got a small bottle for christmas and ate it all almost instantly and ordered a bunch more.

Local company called Overkill hot sauce has some really good stuff. This one is fantastic and will ight you up

Original.png

Another local maker that does branded sauces, a friends band was selling an incredible habanero and palisade peaches sauce.

My typical go to for easy to access grocery store sauce is El Yucateca black.

What yall spicing your lives up with?

The El Yucateca Black is pure gold! :chef

I like some of Melinda's stuff, and my Son got me an entire set of her goodies
for Christmas I have yet to try.

I do have a beef with all the damn vinegar some put in their Hot Sauces. I didn't
ask for Pickles, people. :hmm

I have lived in the world of hot love for decades and have grown my own probably a dozen times (scotch bonnets, chocolate habaneros, some I don't remember the name of) or so, but none in the past 12 years or more. I don't need the hottest thing on the planet, so the whole hotness wars do not interest me. I am looking for flavor, but I do love to cry (perspiration on my upper lip area is simply not enough for me when it comes to hot). My favorite local Mexican restaurant does a descent habanero sauce. At home I always have a jar of Mrs. Renfro's Habanero sauce which is not "habanero" spicey at all IMO, but it is a lovely salsa. I got a mango habanero sauce the last time I was in Maui and enjoyed that, I don't remember the name of it though. Never tried the El Yucateca Black, I will keep my eyes open for that one.

If you are ever in San Francisco, go to Tommy's Mexican Restaurant on 23rd & Geary (do NOT confuse with Tommy's Joynt on Geary and Van Ness, two totally different establishments and I do not know if the later one is even still there). At Tommy's Mexican Restaurant, not only will you be able to sample the largest selection of 100% blue agave tequila in the United States of America (many of the labels there you will see nowhere else in the US as they are exclusive importers of some labels, usually around 150 in stock), but you will also have the chance to try the Habanero infused tequila. They use Herradura Silver (their house "rail" tequila) and it is a delight if you are into both tequila and hot stuff ;~))

@la szum nails it from jump.

Yucateco, hands down, amazing hot sauce.
I keep a bottle of green, red, and black on hand at all times.
el-yucateco-classic-mexican-hot-sauces_700x700.png

I have 3 different versions in my Fridge right now. :LOL:

Red, Green, Black. The Black has the least amount in it.

I like some Sambal. Laoganma Chile Crunch is great, too.

Also made some Hot Honey with a bunch of Calabrian Chiles and
that shit is outstanding on sandwiches or pizza. :chef

Here in Finland we have a brand called Poppamies (translates to "Shaman"). I'm not that big on hot sauces, but I like a few of theirs. I am also in the camp that prefers flavor over painful heat. Things like sriracha are staples for me.

This sauce is my favorite from the Poppamies lineup:

Caribbean.jpg

My favorite thing to get at local markets is hot sauce. Craic Sauce, Barry's Sauces, and SA's Homestyle Sauces are all great. Oddly, the websites for Barry's and SA's seem to be down. Not sure what's up with that. Craic Sauce is live. The Brian Boru's Curry Sauce is my favorite.

I do have a beef with all the damn vinegar some put in their Hot Sauces. I didn't
ask for Pickles, people. :hmm

This is my issue with a lot of hot sauces, I can’t get past that vinegar taste and it ruins it for me immediately. Or they just taste like some shitty variation of Frank’s, which I am not a fan of at all.

I’m just now getting my enjoyment for Sambal back after going apeshit with it in my 20’s, which ended in one drunken night of making some fried potatoes smothered in it, which came right back out about 3 hours later in a rather horrific hangover that kept me away from it for 15 years. :rofl

This is my issue with a lot of hot sauces, I can’t get past that vinegar taste and it ruins it for me immediately. Or they just taste like some shitty variation of Frank’s, which I am not a fan of at all.

I’m just now getting my enjoyment for Sambal back after going apeshit with it in my 20’s, which ended in one drunken night of making some fried potatoes smothered in it, which came right back out about 3 hours later in a rather horrific hangover that kept me away from it for 15 years. :rofl
Vinegar haters may find this video interesting. I hate the way he puts the sauce in his mouth (I don't know how else to say it), but his commentary is interesting.

I like Sriracha in case I also want that distinct extra flavour (of which most brands add more than they'd add hotness).
If I want something to become hotter, I typically like the japanese version of 7 spices, you can fortunately get the one below pretty much anywhere.
7_Spices.jpg

Occasionally I also like one of those thick sweet spicy sauces that they're often serving with eggrolls, but unfortunately it's tough to find some not overdoing it with the sugar. I also made my own already, which is fairly simple, but you can't store them for long.
And yeah, Sambal is a staple for me, too, has a pretty decent balance between hot and a light acidic touch for me. Could put it on pretty much anything. And sometimes blend it with the sweet spicy sauce or mix it into some mayonnaise.

@la szum nails it from jump.

Yucateco, hands down, amazing hot sauce.
I keep a bottle of green, red, and black on hand at all times.
el-yucateco-classic-mexican-hot-sauces_700x700.png
I agree with this completely. I keep all three of those on hand all the time.

I like hot sauce and salsa a lot. I have been making and canning my own salsa for a few years now. It is so much better than anything I have bought at a store. I get to control what goes in it.

I don't need the hottest sauce in existence. I do use a lot of habanero based sauce though. I eat a lot of jalapeno and serrano peppers. I use a lot of poblano peppers too but they are very mild.

I am lucky enough to have a pretty good green market near me every Sunday. There are a few people there that have some spicy things. I have some bottles and jars of their creations on the shelf waiting for me to finish the others I have open. I always have a number of bottles of hot sauce in the cabinet waiting for their big day to get used.

I don't like the taste of most hot sauces so I just grow ghost and Carolina reaper peppers and grind them into powder. When I want something spicy I just sprinkle a little of either onto whatever dish I'm eating.

Looking forward to getting my hands on some pepper X seeds. :rubshands

I love powder blends!!

I eat a lot of Thai food, and most places are hesitant to give me what I really want even when I ask for triple extra thai hot, so my work around has been asking for sides of straight thai chili :love
My girl and I will be at a Thai restaurant. I will order Thai hot, my girl will order medium hot. Food arrives and hers is spicier than mine! Go figure, it has happened a hundred times ;~( So I always order a tray of spices on the side (usually a paste, a ground pepper flakes and an oil). I always let them know I am willing to sign a waiver, but I need to cry, otherwise, it is not hot enough ;~))

Back