Finally bought myself a Casio G-Shock

Jarick

Shredder
Been using an Apple Watch for the last many years. My latest one has been starting to have issues including the battery not lasting a full day.

Decided to get the most utilitarian, basic, beater watch I could with the Casio G-Shock. Splurged for the model with solar charging and atomic time sync, so in theory the watch should not require a new battery or any adjustments for the next ten years or more.

GW-M5610U-1JF.jpg

Atomic/Solar models solve most issues. But they are all pretty darn tough. I've had several since the late 80's still working, although I have the newer Solar/Atomic models these days.

I've had a few Suunto watches in that same time frame and while nice, they're just too large - albeit easier to read.

But more money, unless you're dealing in special Japan versions of the G-Shock.

I was pretty intrigued by the Garmin Instinct watches too, those are still primarily fitness with some smart features, but the screen is lo-fi and the battery life can be as much as a month. I've really grown to hating charging my watch every day.

Nice watch. I don't wear them anymore but last one I had was some type of Casio. I swear that battery lasted fooorrreevvverrr.

wow they still make G shocks? I always wanted one when I as a teenager.

I wear a Garmin fenix6 pro because I do quite a lot running, trail running, mountain biking and hiking.

I was pretty intrigued by the Garmin Instinct watches too, those are still primarily fitness with some smart features, but the screen is lo-fi and the battery life can be as much as a month. I've really grown to hating charging my watch every day.

I'm long time Garmin user and my overall experience is good. They are not perfect, they are probably overpriced but they never let you down. At least never had a real issue with any of their products.

I honestly love my fenix. I charge it once a week and I typically do 1 hour 15 minutes run a 3+ hours mtb or trail run ride and a hike (let's say 4 hours of gps useage) with my wife and kids.

Last edited:
i stopped wearing a watch years ago after going to a festival and constantly getting asked what time it was hahahhahaa (this was pre cell phones for the youngsters in the crowd)

wow they still make G shocks? I always wanted one when I as a teenager.

I wear a Garmin fenix6 pro because I do quite a lot running, trail running, mountain biking and hiking.

I'm long time Garmin user and my overall experience is good. They are not perfect, they are probably overpriced but they never let you down. At least never had a real issue with any of their products.

I honeslly love my fenix.

Oh yeah, they are pretty inexpensive too. $50 or so for the standard version, $100 for the one I got with solar and atomic time.

I'm pretty lazy so appreciate the reminders and incentives to move around. Fitbit did a good job of this but the new ones are basically Google data mines and poor quality, and the Apple Watch health and fitness stuff is a chore.

i stopped wearing a watch years ago after going to a festival and constantly getting asked what time it was hahahhahaa (this was pre cell phones for the youngsters in the crowd)
I remember!
My friend used to show the watch without saying anything when asked. :LOL:

One of my kids decided to go on a rampage yesterday destroying a bunch of other people’s things in the house including a brand new $700 pair of headphones I just bought. As a mature adult, I punched a hole in the wall. Luckily I was wearing the G-Shock instead of my Apple Watch, so I simply rinsed it off and it still looks brand new.

Now I just need to replace all my belongings with items that are meant to survive being dropped off a building.

Been using an Apple Watch for the last many years. My latest one has been starting to have issues including the battery not lasting a full day.

Decided to get the most utilitarian, basic, beater watch I could with the Casio G-Shock. Splurged for the model with solar charging and atomic time sync, so in theory the watch should not require a new battery or any adjustments for the next ten years or more.

GW-M5610U-1JF.jpg

Haha, I use a Casio G Shock while I’m coaching my kids various teams. Needed something to keep an eye on time that could withstand a nuclear blast, but not be an alert/notification/alwaysconnected annoyance. Those watches are great.

And, to bring this full circle, John Mayer actually had his own line of these G Shocks. I would have totally bought this had they not sold out. Kinda dope.

1701194886566.png

Back