This might be the end of digital for me

Bye again.
864v2s.gif

I’m running into a problem I’ve never had before:

I bought a TMP and found I couldn’t install the editor to load my IRS because my OS is too old and not supported.

I bought a Kemper and found I’m not able to install the latest version of Rig Manager with liquid profile support for the same reason.

Every job I’ve had in the past 10 years has provided a MacBook Pro that I’ve been allowed to use for personal stuff so I haven’t bothered to buy a computer since 2011. Current company just changed policy and I can no longer install software for personal use.

I have no other use for a laptop or desktop, so now I have to decide: is using a modeler worth spending another $1000 - $2000 to be able to use it?

Not sure where you live but if you live in the US, go to Best Buy on-line and type in Windows Laptop and there are over a dozen for $199.99

and some that are on SALE right now for less. Doesn't cost anything to look.... :clint

Not sure where you live but if you live in the US, go to Best Buy on-line and type in Windows Laptop and there are over a dozen for $199.99

and some that are on SALE right now for less. Doesn't cost anything to look.... :clint

This.
Seriously, even thinking about giving up modelers because you can't afford a suitable computer is absurd. Even the cheapest available computers capable of running an up to date Windows or macOS will do the job of running any editor.
And fwiw, if it's really just about this very task, I'd really get a Windows box, simply because in case you don't spend considerably more money, any 2nd hand Mac could be outdated any day soon, with the editors to follow suit.

This.
Seriously, even thinking about giving up modelers because you can't afford a suitable computer is absurd. Even the cheapest available computers capable of running an up to date Windows or macOS will do the job of running any editor.
And fwiw, if it's really just about this very task, I'd really get a Windows box, simply because in case you don't spend considerably more money, any 2nd hand Mac could be outdated any day soon, with the editors to follow suit.

I don’t just buy everything I can afford. This has nothing to do with what I can afford.

I know it probably doesn’t seem like it based on my gear habits, but I’m actually pretty frugal and practical about how I choose to spend money. I don’t throw money at things I can’t justify

I don’t throw money at things I can’t justify

See, and that's the very reason why grabbing a cheap Windows box (preferably 2nd hand) would be the best thing for this very job. You could of course still use it for some further tasks, but if your main goal is to run editors for whatever modelers for a rather long time with as little investment as possible, grab a box being able to run Windows 11 and call it a day.

I've been using Fractal gear for over a decade now and have never used a computer for editing. In fact I only installed a firmware update on my Axe II once and another firmware update on my III once. Connected my modelers to computers twice in over 10 years.

No need to give up modelers.

I’m running into a problem I’ve never had before:

I bought a TMP and found I couldn’t install the editor to load my IRS because my OS is too old and not supported.

I bought a Kemper and found I’m not able to install the latest version of Rig Manager with liquid profile support for the same reason.

Every job I’ve had in the past 10 years has provided a MacBook Pro that I’ve been allowed to use for personal stuff so I haven’t bothered to buy a computer since 2011. Current company just changed policy and I can no longer install software for personal use.

I have no other use for a laptop or desktop, so now I have to decide: is using a modeler worth spending another $1000 - $2000 to be able to use it?

$750 for a Macbook. Clip the coupon for the $99 off.

Back