This might be the end of digital for me

I've been using Fractal gear for over a decade now and have never used a computer for editing. In fact I only installed a firmware update on my Axe II once and another firmware update on my III once. Connected my modelers to computers twice in over 10 years.

No need to give up modelers.
Sheeeit, with this post alone, I could detour this into a Fractal "realer than real" discussion :rubshands

:rofl:pee

I wonder... do any of the various guitar gear pieces that update via USB and also have an iOS or Android app have the capability to perform that update from one of those apps? It seems like even stuff that doesn't have a true Win / Mac editor (like the UA stuff) wants you to update via a dedicated Win / Mac updater. I wonder if there is some technical barrier? Though I'm pretty sure some synths can be updated this way (the Modal synths, for example iirc, and I think the Behringer synths as well).

The Eventide H9 (and probably the H90 as well) have iOS apps and can be updated via Bluetooth.

Be careful, I've been banned for making the "more realer" joke! Oh wait, that was at TOP™, carry on :)

firestarter GIF

That dude is an asshole. Linus doesn’t like him either.
Yeah, RMS is famous for being an absolute turd. I was in an airport security line behind him once and some poor old woman ahead of him had the same model of laptop. The laptops came through the scanner at the same time and she said, "Oh, can we just check and make sure these didn't get mixed up?" He tore into her and managed to turn even that small interaction into a Linux rant.

Nah, you don’t have to replace the Apple car if it breaks. But the part will cost you $69K on a $70K car. :D
Partially true, but it depends on what broke and how. Back in the 2010s when I was still in the organization, there was a ~$300 service option where they send your computer to one of their repair facilities that swaps anything found operating outside spec. In sone cases you might end up with a new display on logic board all within that flat rate. I’ve always thought that was quite reasonable.

Partially true, but it depends on what broke and how. Back in the 2010s when I was still in the organization, there was a ~$300 service option where they send your computer to one of their repair facilities that swaps anything found operating outside spec. In sone cases you might end up with a new display on logic board all within that flat rate. I’ve always thought that was quite reasonable.
Yeah I know, I was partially kidding. We had a good deal too, that we got set up through our business rep.

It's defenitely not like that anymore.

We’re way OT now but my only real problem with Apple besides the unserviceable hardware is that it seems like they go through extensive lengths to scrub any useful user help stuff from the internet. I used to repair/refurbish computers for work and with PC problems I can always find 50 user forums with guides to solving most issues that were specific to a model/spec. Apple stuff just always led back to the official forums where all the answers to questions had been removed or hidden and there were very few other places to find stuff. I‘ve yet to come across a PC software problem I couldn’t fix myself with a little google-fu.

Back