Layoffs / Finding Jobs (UPDATE: NEW JOB!)

Yeah good call.

What I've done in the past is listed a bunch of common/standard questions, prepared and memorized an answer, and rehearsed it until it was smooth. Basically like cramming for a final exam.

I'm updating my resume now, cleaning it up a fair amount. My previous boss and I are good friends so talked a bit yesterday and he sent me his resume to help with ideas. Previously I was trying to kind of tell a story about accomplishments, but mostly companies are just trying to match keywords for tasks and duties, so it seems like that is a better approach.
Always match keywords in the job posting.

Have your core resume updated.

Be prepared to tweak for job posting specific terms and be prepared to back it up with verifiable examples.

This is an algorithm game to get you looked at - the HR system is automated at this step to filter out applicants. You need to game the algorithm in your favor.

The more boxes you check per the job posting increases your chances for at least an email or a phone call to discuss further or setup a time for an interview.

The only way to get around these type of things is recommendation from a well-regarded, internal employee at the company you're interested in.

It's been a really shitty year in IT globally, with lots of layoffs so a lot of competition for the same jobs, and not a lot of hiring. I'd hate to enter the workforce this year when you are competing with much more experienced people for the same jobs.

Here in Finland in the IT consultant business (aka software developers for hire) went from "there's more gigs than can be filled with the people we have" to "companies have 100 people on the bench". The company I work for managed to handle the issue fairly well with only a handful of people on the bench, but there were some furloughs. My previous gig ended at the start of the year and it took me months of interviews to get the next one - just barely avoided being furloughed.

To get hired, I need to interview with the clients pretty much the same as if I were applying for a job. For IT these can be all over the place.

Some are asking "gotcha" type questions from Leetcode.com etc, which have very little to do with real world work. I hate these so much.
Some have ridiculously time consuming and rigorous interview rounds where you need to do n+1 interviews just to get an offer/rejection. I've noped out of some of these because I felt they were wasting my time.
The better ones ask technical questions but frame them around real world required knowledge - architecture, explaining how things work, reviewing some code, trying to figure out how you fit in as a personality etc.

It's possible that you get nervous and just forget all the knowledge you have. I have had this happen a few times and it becomes very awkward and you feel like crap for having bombed it so bad. It makes you feel like you know nothing, despite having over a decade of experience with glowing reviews from your clients. But every rejection should be considered experience that you can leverage in the next interview - what to do better, what pitfalls to avoid. The more you interview, the better you become at the interview process.

But ultimately interviews - when you can get past "the right CV" barriers - are all about people skills. Be personable, if you can get the interviewer to laugh while also presenting yourself professionally, you are doing well. Have some questions prepared for them to show interest - ask about how they work, the company culture, what an average day looks like in the role etc.

I hate this too. All part of the hazing ritual that has become almost standard over the last few years.
So many companies follow FAANG (Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Google) practices without understanding why those companies do it. FAANG have a shit ton of applicants and they can afford to be picky to pick the best of the best who can get through their bullshit interview gauntlets.

The people who get hired at FAANG often end up working there a few years for clout because they can then go do something less stressful but be highly desirable because their resume has "worked at FAANG" on it.

I've been working as an IT consultant since 1996 with the exception of 18 months in '02-03 where I took a full time position. The past two years have been the slowest I have ever experienced with the exception of that early '00's drought ;~(( During that drought caused by dot com bubble crash, I took a position that was based around my Accounting degree (I also have a minor in CS and never wanted to be an accountant, just wanted that knowledge). I ended up being an IT guy for that company!

Hope you find something you like! It is about time for me to start heading down the same path considering I am running out of options to pay bills!

Also worth saying: the best time to look for a new job is when you already/still have a job. Once you are unemployed it gets increasingly stressful and you are likely to take a bad deal because you have bills to pay and savings are dwindling fast.

"Get a Tech job," they said. "You'll be safe and secure," they said.

I've been doing some reflection recently and had the same thought!

It might not last much longer for me.

But if I concentrate on gratitude for a moment, I recognise that I've been pretty safe for the last 20 years; so that's been a good run for me by any measure.

Ommmmmmmmm... 🧘‍♂️

But if I concentrate on gratitude for a moment, I recognise that I've been pretty safe for the last 20 years; so that's been a good run for me by any measure.

Ommmmmmmmm...🧘‍♂️

Indeed… actually, I find it always works out for the best 👍❤️🙏

Seems worse than I thought. Most of my coworkers were let go, some took pay cuts, others chose to leave. Almost all our best workers too.
Abandon Ship GIF

Polish that CV to a "just barely the truth" shine and start applying elsewhere. It sucks but eventually hopefully leads to better things.

Ommmmmmmmm...🧘‍♂️

Gratitude is as essential to me as breathing air these days. Great outlook, JD. :beer

I hope saying that is not taken as a slight to those who struggle, or are struggling. :hugitout

Gratitude is as essential to me as breathing air these days. Great outlook, JD. :beer

I hope saying that is not taken as a slight to those who struggle, or are struggling. :hugitout

It’s not a slight to anyone

It’s a critical and key human perspective that needs to be brought to bear with all humility no matter what. 👍

It’s not a slight to anyone

It’s a critical and key human perspective that needs to be brought to bear with all humility no matter what. 👍

I agree, for personal reasons. Being sensitive to other people, though, who are in the midst of deep struggle the whole gratitude
thing can sometimes come off as just another flex. :idk

I agree, for personal reasons. Being sensitive to other people, though, who are in the midst of deep struggle the whole gratitude
thing can sometimes come off as just another flex. :idk
Only in the absence of humility.

I get what you’re saying 💯, but people should absolutely unapologetically affirm positive perspectives, and not be afraid to share them with other out of fear of some possible insult.

I can’t help the misinterpretations.

At least that’s how I view the world 😉

More so now than ever before. 👍❤️🙏

Ommmmmmmmm...🧘‍♂️

Indeed… actually, I find it always works out for the best 👍❤️🙏

I'm trying to see the same point for sure, I've been very lucky to have a stable employer with good coworkers for nearly 20 years. And I've been well compensated and had it quite comfortable the last few years working from home.

What will be difficult is trying to shift my mindset back into job hunting mode, especially because I've only changed my company once in the past, and that was a horrible experience which only lasted a few months before I went back to my current employer. I just don't have the experience to lean on, so it will have to be on faith and kind of scary.

Hopefully six months from now I can look back and say, that was the kick in the butt I needed to get into a better overall job. It's hard to see that now, but people are changing jobs every day.

My last gig I did for over a dozen years… The guy that brought me there is one of the best in the business, and he was fired after only three years after my arrival. I thought I joined the wrong company perhaps. I mean if he got fired … wtf???

Now, this fella is deeply religious as a practicing Catholic. That firing really couldn’t have come at a worse time as his wife had breast cancer and losing insurance was not an option.

Couple of young kids maybe 7-10 years old too.

He had every reason in the world to be resentful and angry.

But what he told me one day was amazing perspective, freeing … and I believe it to be true.

He said to me, “This is just the hand of God, moving me in the direction that I was unwilling to take myself.”

🤔

Lots of good things probably wouldn’t have come to me if the other things didn’t end. 🙏👍

I know this to be absolutely true.

Last edited:
Back