Hot Sauce/Hot Pepper Heads

My girl and I will be at a Thai restaurant. I will order Thai hot, my girl will order medium hot. Food arrives and hers is spicier than mine! Go figure, it has happened a hundred times ;~( So I always order a tray of spices on the side (usually a paste, a ground pepper flakes and an oil). I always let them know I am willing to sign a waiver, but I need to cry, otherwise, it is not hot enough ;~))

Definitely had that happen before its weird lol

Damn now I need some Thai food

This is my issue with a lot of hot sauces, I can’t get past that vinegar taste and it ruins it for me immediately. Or they just taste like some shitty variation of Frank’s, which I am not a fan of at all.

I’m just now getting my enjoyment for Sambal back after going apeshit with it in my 20’s, which ended in one drunken night of making some fried potatoes smothered in it, which came right back out about 3 hours later in a rather horrific hangover that kept me away from it for 15 years. :rofl

I think it is just the base for the peppers. I am not a fan. I love Vinegar in the right context,
just not in an Hot Sauce.

Think I actually prefer a bit of a fruit juice (Mango, Pineapple) as the base for the peppers. Or
just straight Pepper Mash diluted with a bit of water.

And I can imagine puking up Sambal. Holy fuck! :hugitout

I think it is just the base for the peppers. I am not a fan. I love Vinegar in the right context,
just not in an Hot Sauce.

Think I actually prefer a bit of a fruit juice (Mango, Pineapple) as the base for the peppers. Or
just straight Pepper Mash diluted with a bit of water.

And I can imagine puking up Sambal. Holy fuck! :hugitout

When I make my own wing sauce I use Frank’s (even though I hate it), Pineapple juice and butter, which is from a recipe I stole from a restaurant I worked at, but I swapped out their mango juice for pineapple!

I love powder blends!!

I eat a lot of Thai food, and most places are hesitant to give me what I really want even when I ask for triple extra thai hot, so my work around has been asking for sides of straight thai chili :love
It is difficult to get real spicy food in a restaurant here. The think most people don't really want it that hot so when someone asks for it they don't really mean hot hot. They would be wrong.

My girl and I will be at a Thai restaurant. I will order Thai hot, my girl will order medium hot. Food arrives and hers is spicier than mine! Go figure, it has happened a hundred times ;~( So I always order a tray of spices on the side (usually a paste, a ground pepper flakes and an oil). I always let them know I am willing to sign a waiver, but I need to cry, otherwise, it is not hot enough ;~))
In the little town I used to live in, there was a Chinese restaurant that would make it hot if you asked them to. A friend of mine used to ask for extra hot all the time. One negative side effect is that everyone at the table that ordered the same thing he did got it extra hot. It was like they made all of the same dishes in one big batch.

I love hot sauce, but I don’t like really spicy. I just like the flavor it adds. The hottest I like is Tabasco. And I’ve never ventured beyond what I can get at the grocery store.

It seems to me like there are at least two different categories: Mexican style “Salsa Picante” like Tapatio, and Louisiana style like Tabasco with lots of vinegar?

I like Tapatio best for the first category when I’m having Mexican or south west food. And I like Louisiana for the more vinegary style.

I actually prefer the flavor of the really vinegary ones like Tabasco for things like gumbo and chili.

So question to the aficionados:

If I like Tapatio, Louisiana, and Tabasco what else should I try?

It is difficult to get real spicy food in a restaurant here. The think most people don't really want it that hot so when someone asks for it they don't really mean hot hot. They would be wrong.

I think the problem is that there are enough crappy people out there who get nasty to wait staff and also do shit like leave bad reviews for being too spicy, even when they ask for spicy :facepalm

Ruins it for the rest of us who want to truly feel the burn :cry:

An interesting thing with spicy foods is that when you get used to the level of heat you start tasting flavors that you couldn't taste before. My wife experienced this as well. She didn't used to be able to eat spicy food. I started her out with pickled jalapenos. I had her just eat one piece of one each day then up it to two until she got used to the heat. That was all it took. She started eating more spice at that point. We both eat a decent amount of spice. We like things spicier and bolder than most of our friends and family so we have to really tame things down if we are making something for a group of people, or make two versions.

All purpose, not gonna leave any scars?

1706200977674.png

Wanna separate the men from the boys?

1706201085879.png

Instead of crushed red pepper...Flatiron Pepper Co - Four Pepper Blend. Premium Red Chile Flakes. Habanero - Jalapeno - Arbol - Ghost Pepper

81+UqNxg5kL._SL1500_.jpg

From South Africa, recommended by Trevor Noah on "The Hot Ones"...

Nandos-Extra-Extra-Hot-Peri-Peri-Sauce-9-1-Ounce-6-per-Case_91699a92-61f8-461c-83a4-6c62aae50856.de34dbdd94dd801eb68bb19c3659e818.jpeg

Huge fan of flatiron pepper co!! And they are local to me. They have some pretty cool selections and some blends that can offer some prettt extreme heat

Well I was at the grocer today and I was able to find Red El Yucateco so I bought it and will give it a spin tonight ;~(( I will keep looking elsewhere, but I guess for now, in the words of @Warmart (aka Walmart's Military Supply Division - formerly known as Blackwater) I am in the "wimpy :cuss bitches" category . . . for now (but not by choice)!

I'd like to try both of those Flatiron pepper combos, but I saw nothing even close to that where I was shopping today! Thanks for the suggestions peeps, I will keep lookin'!!

Back